“Great experience but I expected more from the food”

Eleven Madison Park
Ranked #79 of 14,211 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 24th Street
Transit: N or R to 23rd st. & Broadway, or take the 6 to 23th St. & Park Ave.
Description: Eleven Madison Park is located in a landmark art deco building with soaring 35-foot ceilings and a view of Madison Square Park. We offer an intimate bar featuring 35 wines by the glass as well as seasonal classic and proprietary cocktails. The second floor private dining rooms also feature views of Madison Square Park. For both lunch and dinner, Eleven Madison Park offers a Tasting Menu for $195.
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I spent months trying to decide which restaurant to book for my husband's birthday treat and I finally decided on EMP. You really do need to book as soon as it's available in order to get a table. I sat at 9am when reservations opened with 4 computers constantly loading open table and the only time on a friday evening I was able to secure was 9.30pm!

I had high hopes of the experience and we weren't disappointed. These guys really know how to put on a show. Service was second to none and the little touches and amuse bouches were inspired.

I'd made a request while booking that my husband would love to see the kitchens and this request was honored, and then some. We were treated to a cocktail in the kitchen prepared by one of the chefs and then James Kent came over to offer his congratulations and talk a little about the kitchen and ethos (great guy BTW). It really was a fabulous experience and although I know this happens for lots of guests you really do feel special.

My husband loved the food and perhaps I just picked the wrong things but for me some of the food was a bit of a disappointment. My 'Almond' first course was rather tasteless (maybe as it followed an amazingly flavorful apple tea!) and my 'Malt' dessert was just crumbs on a plate so I struggled to work out how it was supposed to be eaten, perhaps my actual dessert had fallen of the plate during service! The biggest let down was the famous duck. The main dish was amazing but the dark meat they bring back was in a very strong red wine reduction with a far to creamy/buttery potato on top, both of us took a small nibble, had a small coughing fit, and left the rest.

By the end we really were struggling. We were there until well after midnight and by dessert I really did need the evening to end, which was a shame.

Would I go back? probably not, it's a show and once you've seen it, you've seen it. Saying this I don't regret the booking, we both had a fabulous time it's just not somewhere you return for the food.

1  Thank Hannikins
Write a ReviewReviews (2,087)

Reviewed 16 August 2012

Charming greeting. Lovely, if gloomy, underlit room (dull flowers, bland all white table settings), fine sevice, and impressive wine list (however, the microprint is close to illegible). Sadly, the food is pretentious, and uninspired. The reatuarant appears engaged in a desparate attempt to be original, but it hardly ever works. The first 'amuse bouche' arrives in a string-tied box containing an ice cold cheese and chocolate cookie. We were not amused. Of the multiple 'amuse bouche,' only the deliccately balanced tomato consomme was a star. The special of the evening, a muscovy duck, was well-seasoned and delicious, however, the acompaniyng plate of slivers of dark meat covered in gluey, overwhelmingly rich whipped potatoes, was sadly lacking in taste. Two dishes, one of blueberries and corn, the other beets and strawberries, were frankly a misalliance, although prettily arranged. These dishes, as well as the frozen yohurt lollipops and "our take on the New York egg cream," appear to be somewhat desparate attempts at originality. Whatever happened to taste or is no longer in fasion?

Perhaps the real clue is the oft repeated question "are you enjoying the evening?" rather than "did you like this dish?" One is informed that 70% of the clients come only once and that even for those who like it, this is a "once a year" experience. In short this food is as overwhelming as the price is overwhelming.

2  Thank luxtravelsNYC
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Everything was superb. Service was unbeatable. (Natasha was great!) Difficult to describe the food with words, it's the satisfying feeling with every bite, though you might have little doubts before putting them in your mouth because you might be unfamiliar with some of the ingredients in the dishes. We had a extraordinary experience at Eleven Madison.

2  Thank bsmiLa
Reviewed 14 August 2012

After a stressful phone call on an allocated day at an allocated time I managed to get a table Hurray! Was it worth the effort?
Started off well, met at the door by a young gentleman who congratulated my blushing daughter on her 21st birthday, thanking her for choosing to spend the evening at Eleven Madison Park. Birthday card on table, offered champayne, going well. Recommended we choose the taster menu.....we did. Interesting concept, but Michelin star standard? Large plates with miniature portions.....one mouthfull and it was gone. Long drag between courses and it was so cold I needed to ask for my coat. Had ordered a birthday cake and at $40 dollars assumed they would light a candle and make a fuss......it was slipped dicreetly almost by a very embarassed waiter as it is was a very unsavour thing to do.................very disappointing. We left cold and hungry with a $500 bill for two adults. It was raining very heavy when we got outside so we asked it possible to have a taxi ordered. Not a service they offer. Put it down to experience but would not consider another visit.

2  Thank lindawatson
Reviewed 14 August 2012

How this restaurants gets such good reviews, I may never know!! Every time I talk about this place my blood boils, but since I dont want anyone else to be subjected to this horrible restaurant, I'll re-count my story. I booked for lunch for 6 people, but 2 of us got in very late the nigth before due to delayed flights, so I called the restaurant to ask if we could change the reservation down to 4 people. We were quite arrogantly told 'sure' but we would be charged 75$ for each person that didn't show. Since my confirmation e-mail did mention this, I wasn't too angry, but just a bit annoyed that they would be so un-accomodating! Anyway, so all 6 of us went for lunch. When we sat down, I put my napkin in my lap and beneath the napkin on the plate was a square piece of paper that had about 16 different words including chicken, corn, lobster and an array of other foods. When I asked our waiter what this was about, he said that we would have to pick one item from each column for the 4 COURSE SET LUNCH!! Here was my first issue....nobody ever told me that we would be forced into a set menu for 75$ per person. We were there for lunch! I am no stranger to expensive meals, but to force guests to pay out 75$ per head for lunch is aphauling, especially when there is no forewarning on your confirmation e-mail. So, our bill is already $450 dollars before we even order a drink! We all choose our 'words' for lack of a better term from the list. I don't even remember exactly what I chose, but I do remember that one of the courses was lobster - usually my favorite. Not this time though! My husband ordered CORN for his main, and it was literally corn on the cob which had been shaved off of the cob and sat on the plate with a sauce....this is a 75$ lunch!!??????? By who's standards? Each plate was about 4 bites each, which would be fine if the food tasted amazing, however this food did NOT!! My suggestion to anyone considering this restaurant would be, skip it! The venue is beautiful, but not the best i've seen. The atmosphere is stuffy and the food is underwhelming. If you want a REAL 3 Michelin Star restaurant, head to Reims, France to Les Crayeres. There are so many other amazing restaurants in New York that put this place to shame!

9  Thank Tari_2012