“Highly Recommended - My New Preferred Hotel in New York City”

Hyatt Centric Times Square New York
Ranked #50 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Highly Recommended - My New Preferred Hotel in New York City”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The new Hyatt in Times Square is wonderful!

First and foremost, the hotel is new and so it is a bit of a luxury in and of itself to be staying in a new hotel. I stayed for 5 days for a little work but mostly play.

The room was well proportioned and large by New York standards. The decor was smart, fresh and modern and added to the feel that this is a luxury hotel. I loved the window chair, although ended up turning it around so I could enjoy the Times Square view. The bed was incredibly comfortable. I was battling a bad chest infection when I arrived which had me spend more time in my room than I would normally. This is a room you can really feel comfortable just hanging out in.

The bathroom was awesome - clean and spacious. I particularly loved the shower with the choice of waterfall and hand held shower head.

A big plus in my opinion is the small quiet fridge in the room. These are a rarity for NYC hotels which for the most part have packed minibars or no refrigeration options. This is great for a longer stay in New York to be able to bring food and drinks back or have a juice and yoghurt as an easy breakfast in the morning.

The staff were exemplary. Every experience I had was positive. From the doormen, the front desk, the elevator man, housekeeping, bellhop and maintenance - everyone was genuinely welcoming and friendly. I shared an elevator with a member of the maintenance staff who was keen to know how my stay was and offered that I could ask for her personally if there was any issues with my room. The Hyatt staff are to to be commended for their professionalism as it added to my overall experience that this was a special visit.

The hotel restaurant (with diner atmospherics) has now opened. I ate a late lunch here the day I arrived (in a snow storm). It was fine, although the hamburger was small and definitely on the pricey side even for Times Square. It does however have a good selection and is a convenient option.

There is a quasi business center option - a row of computers off the lobby. Printing boarding passes are free and up to 15 minutes and black and white printing is free (handy when I needed to print out tickets, an itinerary and a receipt).

I found a great pre-paid deal that made the week very affordable. Their standard rates are a little higher, but I still think it equates to being very good value, particularly compared to other equally priced hotels I have stayed at in New York over the years.

It has been a few years since I have stayed at Times Square, as I usually stay near Wall Street for work or Soho or Upper West side for play. The advantage of the Hyatt is that it is just off Times Square on 45th Street, so you are a little away from the craziness, but also just steps to the craziness, so pros both ways depending on what you are looking for. When I needed a new suitcase at 1.30am on a Friday, only in Times Square will you find stores open until 2am and 24 hour options to be able to pick up a suitcase. It is also very convenient to a variety of subway options. It is also an easy walk to 5th Avenue and Rockefeller Centre, and walkable south to Empire State Building and Herald Square or north to Central Park and Lincoln Centre. And, of course, very convenient to Broadway's shows.

I did a lot of research to choose a hotel for this trip, and can say that my time at the Hyatt lived up to everything I had hoped for.

Room Tip: A Times Square view hotel room will not disappoint!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Iznik8
Melissa O, Manager at Hyatt Centric Times Square New York, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Hi Iznik8 from Sydney,

Thanks for your awesome feedback and recommendation. Your experience, comfort and preference is our number# 1 priority and your blog shows that we hit a home run!

Thanks for choosing the Hyatt Times Square and we hope to have you back soon.

Melissa & HTS Family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Great hotel within walking distance to so many things. Staff is great. Clean quiet rooms, worth the rate. Very polite staff even for NYC. The work out facility seems to be brand new. Had a great workout both days. Look forward to stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Melissa O, Manager at Hyatt Centric Times Square New York, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Hi Christopher M,

Greetings from NYC and thank you for choosing us! Really pleased you had a great time and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

It’s always nice to hear that the team took great care of you, I will be sure to let everyone know what an awesome job they did!

Thanks again and we will see you again soon!
Mel
Quebec
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed here over Valentine's weekend. Got a very good rate and were very satisfied with our experience. It is very close to Times Square, and that meant a great view on the action. It appears quite new so everything is in tip top shape and very clean. Pet peeve, wifi is not free, far from it in fact.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jazz520
Boston, MA
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed there for a weekend in Febuary and got a promotion rate. There is nothing to complain, very clean room and comfortable bed and pillows. Good services. very much worth your every penny. will definately come back.

Room Tip: corner rooms are bigger in size.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JuneJo
JuneJo,

Thank you for the 5-star rating! Positive feedback such as yours makes us proud of providing authentic hospitality. Rest assured, our housekeeping team will appreciate the recognition on the cleanliness of our rooms.

We can’t wait to welcome you back soon and we wish you all the best!

Yours truly,
Melissa & the entire Hyatt Times Square Family
White House, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I've now stayed here three separate times and each time I'm impressed. That goes for the housekeeping, bellman all the way to the front desk attendants. Everyone is so polite,I just can't say enough about how much I adore this hotel.

DID I MENTION HEATED FLOORS because those are kind of a big deal

Room Tip: It's times square, it's a little noisy anywhere you stay, but the curtains black out everyth...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Whitney B
Ryan F, Manager at Hyatt Centric Times Square New York, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Whitney,

Thank you so much for the shout out; its fantastic to hear feedback from one of our first "repeat" guests. I have your gold passport number on file and have added on your profile a note to remind us to get you on a high floor with heated floors for all of your future stays. I look forward to a lot of them!

All the best,
Ryan
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed for four nights mid February 2014 with my 14 year old daughter. Hotel has fresh modern design. Standard queen room which had two queen beds. Good size room. Very comfortable beds. clean. Huge TV screen. not a lot of drawer storage space for clothes if there are more than two of you. Light switches took some getting used to. Booked through Expedia, which made it good value. All staff without exception were very pleasant and helpful. All requests dealt with very promptly.
The WiFi in the room is expensive, I thought it should have been free. It is free in the lobby, but there are not many places to sit.
The hotel wasn't very busy whilst we were there, but I suspect the lobby, which is not very big, would get a bit crowded at check out time at busier times of the year. Same with the diner at breakfast time.
Excellent location next to Times Square within easy walking distance of most attractions.
Diner food very good, especially the French toast and carrot cake, (had that twice!). Great view from the top floor bar. (have to be over 21 to enter). I would definitely return here next time we visit New York.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 31st floor. I think the higher floors have less noise. We turned off the AC unit at...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hi Cathy,

Thank you so much for staying at the Hyatt Times Square and thanks for sharing your awesome review! Glad that you enjoyed your stay and our hospitality. I am positive that the Chef will be very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the french toast and carrot cake.

Stay in touch and let us know when your travel plans bring you back to the best city in the world!

All the best,
HTS Family
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Our visit began on a cold valentine's day with an extremely warm welcome by my hubby's new buddy Chester! The staff was extremely receptive and helpful. The attention to details in the rooms are amazing, our favorite feature was the 'All off/on' light switches by the night stands. The rainfall shower was a great addition. The view of times square was excellent. The docking station at the desk with the large television complemented our stay.
The gym is well equipped. When we ordered delivery the front desk called to inform us that it had arrived and asked if we would like them to send the delivery person up to our room, when at the door, we were impressed that he was escorted by one the hotel's staff security. All in all we couldn't have chosen a better hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple