“Very nice new hotel but”

Hyatt Centric Times Square New York
Ranked #47 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Very nice new hotel but”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Positives are great location just far enough from Times Square to be less touristy, and also excellent for Midtown business (me). Rooms are modern and quiet. I was on 46 and had a nice view. Bathroom is reasonably large for NYC. Very good fitness center. It was cold and damp, but I'm sure the rooftop bar would be great. I'm a frequent traveler to Midtown, and this hotel will be on my short list.

Negatives are hopefully short lived. My first night the fire alarm went off several times. The complaint was acknowledged graciously and miles received. I'm sure that this will be fixed. The other negative was that I couldn't get the shower cool enough. Again, its a new hotel working out the bugs. Once worked out, this will be one of the nicer business class hotels in the area.

Room Tip: higher floors facing north should have a nice view, not sure about other directions
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank GoHawks5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My son, nephew and I spent a tourist weekend in NYC and stayed at the new Hyatt close to Times Square. The hotel is right in the middle of the hustle bustle of Times Square and the Theater District and was perfect for 2 boys who had never been to NYC. We could walk or catch the subway easily from this location. The room was spacious for NYC and the staff went out of their way to make our stay great. The doormen were kind and remembered you- the concierge was great and really knowledgeable and the view was really great. We were upgraded to a room with a view upon checking in- which was really considerate. I would recommend this hotel for tourists- walk to the MOMA, walk to theater, walk to the river- a great location!!

Room Tip: try to get a room with a view, otherwise you are looking at the sides of other buildings..
3 Thank milne14
Melissa O, Manager at Hyatt Centric Times Square New York, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Hi Milne14,

It was such a pleasure reading your review and thank you so much for the 5-star rating. The entire team and I are truly pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hospitality, location and rooms. We wish you the best and we hope to welcome you and your family back to the Hyatt Times Square!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was my third trip to NY and I stayed here for five nights for a holiday with my mum to celebrate her retirement. We had a spacious room (which I've heard is rare in NY) with two double beds which were extremely comfortable. Room was clean and modern with slightly quirky décor, which was a nice touch and gave it a slightly premium feel. Bathroom was also a really generous size with a good layout. On a trivial note the bathroom products were all really nice and there's a list of extra items the hotel offers such as slippers/toothpaste etc that you can ask for at no cost or borrow, which is a real help if you've forgotten anything. Hotel staff were all extremely pleasant and helpful.

The location was ideal as you're right off Times Square (literally round the corner), so easy access to tourist hotspots but had absolutely no trouble with any noise, which I think you might find if you were staying on Times Sq. We had both dinner and breakfast at the T45 diner which I really liked (I would recommend the steak). We also tried out the rooftop bar for afternoon drinks, cocktails were slightly overpriced, staff here were slow and not overly attentive, but the view alone was worth it.

The only slight downside was that you have to pay for wifi in your room, which I think is getting uncommon in this day and age, but free wifi is available in the lobby if you don't mind squashing up on the usually busy seating area, or you could eat in the diner and access it more comfortably.

Overall, really nice hotel, clean, bright modern feel and ideal for anyone's first trip to New York based on location alone. I would definitely recommend this and stay here again, very pleased I chose this hotel!

4 Thank bexw87
Melissa O, Manager at Hyatt Centric Times Square New York, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear bexw87,

Thanks for celebrating your mom's retirement with us! We appreciate your business and vote of confidence and glad to hear that your overall experience was close to perfection. Should you or your family & friends plan to return, please do let us know.

Congratulations to your mom and safe travels!

Adams Basin, New York, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2014

From the parking valet to the bellhops, to the desk clerks - customer service and the customer's comfort seems to be a top priority at this hotel. Although I didn't want to pay this much for a hotel room it was a special occasion and I decided to go for it. Great location, great room, and felt very pampered by all the customer service. It is definitely close to Times Square, an easy walk to the Broadway show we attended and simply a great place to stay. I wish it was a little less costly so I could stay more than one night but for a special treat it was a great time.

Baltimore
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a great choice for a hotel in NYC. It's close to all the action without being "in the belly of the beast" (Times Square), but still very close by. I was pleasantly surprised that the room was much more spacious that I was expecting. Staff is friendly and very helpful which added to the experience too. The rooms are well-maintained and kept up nicely so you can tell it's a new hotel. The bed was firmer than I prefer but I still slept just fine. I would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
We appreciate the fantastic review on our services, location and hotel. Feedback such as yours absolutely bring a smile to our faces. We would love to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and hope you let us know in advance as we will prepare for your arrival and add a pillow topper on your bed. Thanks and all the best!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Saw this Hotel while booking and was rated 4.8 out of 5 previously. I stayed here 4 nights during Mothers Day weekend . The Rooms, location, services, Food and staff were all 5 star quality! From the moment we entered the hotel , I knew this was the best kept secret in Manhattan. Located not even 1/2 block from Times Square, it's location was perfect to everything you need to experience while visiting NYC. The staff, from Steve the Bell Captain, to Karen at the Front Desk,to their friendly concierge, everyone was very attentive to all our needs. The 54th Floor lounge on top of the hotel, overlooking all of NYC, was a site to be seen, while relaxing with a glass of wine and appetizer. Great place to take a date!! The rooms were so amazing, with the most comfortable bed and amazing Large Bathrooms (which for Hotels in NY are rare) . Large Flat screen TV all HD with plenty of cable channels. Again a must stay here 5 of 5 stars. Forget the Waldorf, Plaza, stay here...

2 Thank BennyBones
We can't thank you enough for the wonderful review about our hotel and services. Each and every staff member at our hotel aim to provide authentic hospitality at all times for every guest that walks in our door. It looks like we achieved that goal with you.

From the bottom of our hearts --thanks again and we wish you our very best!

Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel with college age daughter for 4 days over Easter. If you want a Times Square location, clean modern rooms and friendly, efficient service you can't go wrong here. We didn't try the restaurant but did go to the rooftop bar- beautiful view, great bartender , but very pricey, even for Manhattan. Would definitely visit again.

• Stayed April 2014
Your feedback is like music to our ears! Thanks for the heart-warming review and thanks for choosing our hotel. The entire team and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to NYC soon!

All the best,