“Unexpected Charming Rooms”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Unexpected Charming Rooms”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My daughter and I decided to choose the Hyatt due to its great location in Times Square. We knew we could just walk out the door and be close to the action. What I did not expect was to walk down the hallway to our room and see such fun colors along the way. Most hotels use browns and other blah colors, but this one had fun, warm, colorful designs. When we opened up our room, both of us commented on how cute the decor was. Not only was it modern, but the use of fun colors really brightened up the room. The decorations on the walls were so much fun to look at. The platform beds were huge and comfy with modern bedding. There was a mini-frig built into the desk and a safe. I would like to include photos of the charming room, but my computer is not allowing me to access my photos for this review. Must be a glitch with Trip Advisor?

The bathroom was utra-modern with gorgeous flooring in black and off-white colors. The entire walls were gorgeous too and there was a rain-head on the shower.

Although we were not in the room much, it is NYC after all, we really enjoyed this room. That night we went up to the rooftop bar and saw the spectacular skyline with all the bright lights. SO pretty! The next morning, we ate at the coffee shop. We really enjoyed our eggs and bacon. There was a healthy omelette option which I hope to try the next visit to this hotel.

The air conditioning was amazing. Most hotels, you can't really monitor the temperature, but this worked beautifully! I really appreciated it in the August heat! The staff were all very friends, especially the guys helping us hail a cab! Thank you!

Room Tip: We had room 906. I had requested a "quiet room." It seemed very quiet for the most part...
Green Features: I liked the fact that you can turn all the lights on or off at once or just certain ones. The night light aspect of these light switch panels were annoying in the dark, though. We had to cover them up with towels to block the light.
1 Thank Donna224488

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Arizona
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Rating would be 3-1/2, if I could give the 1/2 star. Spent a week at the Hyatt Times Square in July, 2014 for both personal and business pleasure. Would have given it a 4 had it been more conducive to business travel and better elevator service. There is no business center but rather two computers set up in the hall behind the check-in desk/concierge - no privacy. Typically, this would be fine as I travel with a laptop, but in this instance I had several business docs to print out. The elevators are slow anyway. But, on two separate occasions during my stay, one of the elevators was blocked off for private access to the bar on the top floor. No one was waiting to get up to the bar. However, guests were waiting for the other elevators to get to their rooms. I thought it a real discourtesy to inconvenience hotel guests. Moving on.....the location is perfect being practically on Times Square, and near the theater district. My view was looking down on Times Square. The hotel/room is modern and very clean. Maid service excellent. Cafe downstairs and lounge on top floor - both good for either personal or business. The rate was really great for NYC and I would consider again due to the convenient locaiton, cleanliness, and modern room setup.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of Times Square
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Ryan F, Manager at Hyatt Centric Times Square New York, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
UnThinkBren,

Thank you very much for staying and sharing your thoughts. I am pleased to hear that the room was comfortable and that housekeeping did a good job.

With regard to the elevators; we are actually working tirelessly with the manufacturer to ensure optimal speed and performance at all times so guests don’t experience long waits. Secondly I think it has only been a handful of times this year that we have taken one elevator for a private event, but I hear how inconvenient it is and we will be more cognizant of how other guests are impacted if we need to do it again in the future.

Also, about the business services, sadly we don’t have much (any) room to grow our business centre but one thing I am sure of is that the managers and associates alike, at the front desk, would always be very happy to receive a document via email and print and deliver it to securely so you don’t feel like you are printing in front of the world. One thing that gives me particular pride is our focus on being flexible to meet people's needs despite some space constraints.

Thanks again for your time and best regards,
Ryan
Singapore
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Hyatt times square has a lot going for it – No its not the location- In fact that is a bit of a dampener being so close to times square and hence effected by all the nonsense that goes around the place.
The hotel really upholds hyatt service. The service staff from the check in to check out, concierge and all that goes within was top class. Well for me that makes a huge difference.
The hotel neat and chic. Yes it has a really busy/ claustrophobic lobby mainly due to the shortage of space. The rooms though really tiny are neatly appointed well lit and bright. Lots of plug points to charge your phones/ cameras and tablets. The bed was comfortable, the toiletries decent and most so the room was brightly lit and decorated with really happy colours. We wanted the room early so we settled for a smaller room which was available before the actual check in time, it was a squeeze but was fine for us. The rooms like the ones in the pictures so you actually get what you pay for
Only thing that do not work for this property is the long way for the elevators. Wish they did something about that.
In a nut shell I am so happy I stayed here. I am very cost conscious – especially in NYC because one is hardly in the room in this city… but staying here ensured that I walked almost everywhere which saved expensive cab fare… Also I moved to this hotel after a previous month stay at the dreary Hotel Penn and it was such a delightful experience.
Recommendations, revisits – Yes Definitely. Just hoping they do not become too expensive for my merge purse.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony and in the higher wing
Reviewed 12 August 2014

When I reserved my 2 rooms a requested an early checkin for either one (the suite or attached room), reached the front desk at 09:00 AM and checked in, the person advised that I would be unable to get attached rooms because it was not available, I said no problem because I was alone but my wife, 2 kids and their grandmother was coming in on a later flight, so I requested the same floor. At that point she had assigned my rooms (I've just came off a long flight and did not sleep since about 30 hours), and said it would be a while that the rooms were being serviced from the last set of guest that left, which was very understandable, went and had breakfast at their restaurant went back about 11:00am (2 hrs later) and the rooms were not ready, went to time square for a walk and came back at 02:00 PM the gentleman I asked at the front desk was very rude and obnoxious he said why are you bothering me checking time was at 04:00PM come back then, that he has a line and I was told so.
I asked to speak to a manager, after a lot of complaining and whispering to himself he got the manager about 10 mins later, the manager obviously tried to cover the other front desk clerk by agreeing with him but I was very persistent because I was tired and my family was going to arrive shortly. The manager said he will go up himself to check, came back 2mins later and said the rooms were ready and housekeeping did not have it in the system.
For A suit average $500 and reg room $350. It was definitely not worth it. the carpet was very "old" or VERY VERY DIRTY, rooms are small.
The only good thing is that the location is perfect if want to get in on the Broadway action.
On One night Housekeeping did not service the room !!
The manager keep insisting that the Privacy sign was on but it was not, because my wife was shopping and all day I was bringing bags back to the bell man to send to my room, and the bags were all there when we got back late in the night.
THINK TWICE !!! I WOULD NOT STAY THERE AGAIN, AND WOULD START TO RECONSIDER HYATT ALSO.

1 Thank RobRattan
Ryan R, Manager at Hyatt Centric Times Square New York, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you so much for your honest and sincere feedback. As a new hotel it is extremely important for us to hear your feedback so we can make any necessary adjustments. I did receive your feedback also through our Hyatt Medalia Survey, so please be sure to check your inbox for my response.

Again it disappoints me greatly that you left our hotel feeling so dissatisfied. We do try our absolute best to accommodate all early arrival requests but due to regular sell out days this request often becomes difficult to fulfill.

I do hope that we will see you back at our hotel in the future. Should you decide to make another booking, I ask you to please contact me directly so that I can personally look after your reservation. Just please ask for Ryan, as I am one of the Assistant Front Office Managers.

I wish you a wonderful weekend ahead and look forward to speaking with you soon!
St Martin
Reviewed 12 August 2014

It was incredible... We spent a beautiful time in this hotel.
3 nights.
We were at 51th floor with an amazing view on Time Square.
The service is impeccable, the rooms are spacious and very cleans.
Wifi in the rooms (paying) and the lobby.
Try the B54 lounge bar, it's magic, with its incredible scenic view.
Good location in Time Square Heart.
We recommend strongly this accommodation !

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cthsxm
Melissa O, Manager at Hyatt Centric Times Square New York, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
I am responding on behalf of the entire team to let you know that we appreciate your wonderful feedback and recommendation! We are very pleased to see that you enjoyed the view from our location and loved our rooms and hospitality. Hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back to NYC!

Your Hyatt Times Square Family
Maryland Line, Maryland
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel has only been in its location less than a year. Clean, great location and good service. Rooms are bigger than many NY hotels. Somewhat Small lobby area. Roof of hotel is a nice lounge. Many places to eat and see in walking distance. Shower head on ceiling.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Newyork
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Previews reviews are accurate, but no one mentioned any elevator incident. Well, there's nothing that dampens an otherwise perfect evening (on our last day) than getting stuck in an elevator in a high-rise building. The power went off somewhere on the 18th floor. Only the light was on or I would have totally freaked out! After we sounded the alarm (button), a voice came through to assist. Power came back after about 15 minutes.

There was not a single word from management after that incident. I mentioned it on checking out but the front desk nonchalantly said "Oh, our newspaper man got stuck earlier too!" Like it happens all the time.The scary thing is that there are only 2 elevators assigned to each floor. That's a 50% chance of getting stuck! Getting stuck in an elevator in New York City is not a good thing. I wouldn't mind so much in other places every once in a while.

1 Thank Whitedoc