“great location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New Hampshire, United States
“great location”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We had a deluxe view room on the 53rd floor. The room did not have a coffee maker or fridge but was clean, comfortable and the view was spectacular. The staff was friendly and helpful, especially Nico at the front desk when we checked in.
The sky lounge while pricey is definitely a great place to relax and have drinks.
Overall a good weekend.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed there for 1 night on a business trip and it was a really nice hotel. The location is right around the heart of the Times Square but not where it's a constant crush of people. Visited the gym which was really nice and large with new equipment and very clean space. The rooftop bar of course has a great view of some of the iconic Manhattan properties. The meeting space was oddly laid out but it suited our needs. The room itself was large by NY standards. There was a comfortable king size bed with a workstation, a couple of chairs, large closet and well laid out bathroom. Everything is controlled on the wall at the push of a button which is similar to many rooms you'd see outside the US.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We were lucky to get this hotel thru a Priceline bid. It was not cheap even for Priceline to get into a NYC hotel. The lobby is not "grand" by any standard,but we were pleasantly surprised by the room.
Since we were a family of 4 and the only rooms available were king beds due to our late check in we were offered a suite for $100 more which we took. The hotel room was upgraded so I can only speak for room 1201 and it was very nice. Very large for a NYC hotel. No refrig. comfortable room. Good A/C. Helpful front desk.
The hotel is new. The front desk said just 3 months old.
Parking $60. Be ready to pay up if you have a car. No way around this issue.
Location was excellent. In the heart of the action- which brings me to the "issue"... The issue is regarding NYC not this hotel; noise. It was a Friday evening hotel stay. We got to the room around 11 PM. Jackhammers were going all night next door. What kind of city allows nighttime demolition work? With the A/C on the sound was not bad. When the A/C clicked off the sound was terrible for my wife...the light sleeper. I guess this is not a reflection on the hotel. We traveled mid August 2014.. If you travel around this time,maybe ask the hotel if there will be construction next door all night.
Rooftop lounge is a nice site to see. Nice views.. Check it out.
We woke to a nice street fair for Saturday morning starting at the hotel and going for many blocks.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt Times Square for one night in May. Overall the hotel had lovely rooms and friendly, helpful staff. Despite these positives, everything else about the hotel was average and I walked away grateful for the staff's efforts but not wanting to stay there again. I should also mention that because I grew up in New York, I am perhaps more picky about my hotels there than in other cities. Details follow-

I called the hotel in the days leading up to my stay to tell them that I would be arriving very early and because of a frantic travel schedule, I would likely not have slept the night before and asked if they could do everything they could to have my room ready for an early check-in. They assured me they would try but also warned that occupancy that week was very high so they really could promise anything. I understood that.

I arrived at about 8:30 in the morning, heavily sleep deprived. The doorman was busy helping other guests so a hotel employee in a suit (later identified as the assistant F&B manager) came out and helped me with my very heavy luggage. I appreciated this. It is not every hotel where a member of management would step in for the bell team. The doormen were able to eventually assist me and were very friendly and helpful throughout my stay. Even the security guys around the door were friendly and got me an umbrella when I had forgotten one. All those ladies and gentlemen provided five-star service.

I was checked-in by a friendly young man who was in his second or third day at the property so he was being trained by a more senior employee. I was informed that my room was not ready. I asked if they could rush a room as I hadn't slept. They said they would try and thought they could offer me a room in about an hour. Again, I thought that was reasonable and appreciated their efforts. Then things started to go downhill-

The hotel has hundreds of rooms if I recall somewhere in the 500-700 range yet it has virtually no lobby so the lobby can comfortably seat somewhere between 8-10 people. There is one small couch and a handful of ottomans used as seats. That is it. That meant there really was no place to sit. Even the benches in the restaurant and service counter were often full. So, if I didn't want to leave the hotel, all I could do was pace back and forth or sit on the floor. After about 45 mins. I checked with the desk who didn't have a room for me. I checked back at 90 minutes, again no room and no estimate of when a room might be ready. I might be able to get a seat for 10-15 minutes before losing it again or having to get up to stretch, etc. When I used one of the lobby restrooms it was filthy. I notified the concierge who did not offer an apology.

After two hours of largely pacing back and forth I asked again if they could get me a room and the desk still couldn't provide a room or an estimate of when one would be ready. Further complicating things was that the Wi-Fi in the lobby was not working so throughout the entire time I could not even get any work done on my laptop. Finally a little shy of three hours since I began to wait they found me a room.

The room itself was lovely and clean with excellent water pressure, comfortable mattress, and modern furnishings. I had no complaints about the condition of the room. Pictures on the website accurately describe the state of rooms so I will not go into extensive detail here.

After a much needed nap, I came downstairs to ask a couple of questions. I was meeting some friends for drinks at the Langham a well-known luxury hotel in the City. I had forgotten the cross-streets and asked the concierge to look them up for me. She provided me an address four blocks away from the actual hotel and I ended up being about 30 minutes late for my meeting. I understand mistakes happen but to get such a basic thing wrong was a surprise. I dealt with one gentleman at concierge who nice but the two ladies I dealt with were really indifferent.

Another issue with service was that front desk staff doubled as the bellmen. This is the new "host" system Hyatt has and I must say I don't like it, particularly at a property this big. Hire a handful of real, dedicated bellmen, please. First, both times when I called for luggage assistance the two, very nice young ladies that arrived were smaller than the luggage I was asking them to carry. I felt badly for making them carry my luggage. Also, every time a guest called for luggage assistance or some other service someone at the front desk had to stop working and go the guest room, this meant that front desk service, while friendly, was slow. I know those front desk people were working as hard as they can and it undermines their ability to succeed by making them both front desk clerks and bell people.

Finally, I ordered breakfast before i left the next morning and was told that they really didn't have traditional room service but they would bring me breakfast in to go containers: paper plates, paper cups, plastic silverware, etc. I agreed. The breakfast was good but not great and cost something in the range of $50. For $50 to be sipping a to-go cup of orange juice was really galling. Additionally, the quality of the smoked salmon and bagel was not very good (other items were more edible) but in a city where there are wonderful bagels and lox everywhere I was surprised the hotel did such a poor job (at such high prices).

I eventually took my complaints to a manager who was kind enough to remove a couple of room charges because of the problems with my stay. This was handled very professionally. Overall, while the property has great potential, I was left feeling that there were better options for the money in NYC so unless you really have to be in Times Sq. or you can get this property at a substantially better price than others I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank twainandwhitman
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My daughter and I decided to choose the Hyatt due to its great location in Times Square. We knew we could just walk out the door and be close to the action. What I did not expect was to walk down the hallway to our room and see such fun colors along the way. Most hotels use browns and other blah colors, but this one had fun, warm, colorful designs. When we opened up our room, both of us commented on how cute the decor was. Not only was it modern, but the use of fun colors really brightened up the room. The decorations on the walls were so much fun to look at. The platform beds were huge and comfy with modern bedding. There was a mini-frig built into the desk and a safe. I would like to include photos of the charming room, but my computer is not allowing me to access my photos for this review. Must be a glitch with Trip Advisor?

The bathroom was utra-modern with gorgeous flooring in black and off-white colors. The entire walls were gorgeous too and there was a rain-head on the shower.

Although we were not in the room much, it is NYC after all, we really enjoyed this room. That night we went up to the rooftop bar and saw the spectacular skyline with all the bright lights. SO pretty! The next morning, we ate at the coffee shop. We really enjoyed our eggs and bacon. There was a healthy omelette option which I hope to try the next visit to this hotel.

The air conditioning was amazing. Most hotels, you can't really monitor the temperature, but this worked beautifully! I really appreciated it in the August heat! The staff were all very friends, especially the guys helping us hail a cab! Thank you!

Room Tip: We had room 906. I had requested a "quiet room." It seemed very quiet for the most part...
Green Features: I liked the fact that you can turn all the lights on or off at once or just certain ones. The night light aspect of these light switch panels were annoying in the dark, though. We had to cover them up with towels to block the light.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Donna224488
Arizona
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Rating would be 3-1/2, if I could give the 1/2 star. Spent a week at the Hyatt Times Square in July, 2014 for both personal and business pleasure. Would have given it a 4 had it been more conducive to business travel and better elevator service. There is no business center but rather two computers set up in the hall behind the check-in desk/concierge - no privacy. Typically, this would be fine as I travel with a laptop, but in this instance I had several business docs to print out. The elevators are slow anyway. But, on two separate occasions during my stay, one of the elevators was blocked off for private access to the bar on the top floor. No one was waiting to get up to the bar. However, guests were waiting for the other elevators to get to their rooms. I thought it a real discourtesy to inconvenience hotel guests. Moving on.....the location is perfect being practically on Times Square, and near the theater district. My view was looking down on Times Square. The hotel/room is modern and very clean. Maid service excellent. Cafe downstairs and lounge on top floor - both good for either personal or business. The rate was really great for NYC and I would consider again due to the convenient locaiton, cleanliness, and modern room setup.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of Times Square
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Ryan F, Manager at Hyatt Centric Times Square New York, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
UnThinkBren,

Thank you very much for staying and sharing your thoughts. I am pleased to hear that the room was comfortable and that housekeeping did a good job.

With regard to the elevators; we are actually working tirelessly with the manufacturer to ensure optimal speed and performance at all times so guests don’t experience long waits. Secondly I think it has only been a handful of times this year that we have taken one elevator for a private event, but I hear how inconvenient it is and we will be more cognizant of how other guests are impacted if we need to do it again in the future.

Also, about the business services, sadly we don’t have much (any) room to grow our business centre but one thing I am sure of is that the managers and associates alike, at the front desk, would always be very happy to receive a document via email and print and deliver it to securely so you don’t feel like you are printing in front of the world. One thing that gives me particular pride is our focus on being flexible to meet people's needs despite some space constraints.

Thanks again for your time and best regards,
Ryan
Singapore
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Hyatt times square has a lot going for it – No its not the location- In fact that is a bit of a dampener being so close to times square and hence effected by all the nonsense that goes around the place.
The hotel really upholds hyatt service. The service staff from the check in to check out, concierge and all that goes within was top class. Well for me that makes a huge difference.
The hotel neat and chic. Yes it has a really busy/ claustrophobic lobby mainly due to the shortage of space. The rooms though really tiny are neatly appointed well lit and bright. Lots of plug points to charge your phones/ cameras and tablets. The bed was comfortable, the toiletries decent and most so the room was brightly lit and decorated with really happy colours. We wanted the room early so we settled for a smaller room which was available before the actual check in time, it was a squeeze but was fine for us. The rooms like the ones in the pictures so you actually get what you pay for
Only thing that do not work for this property is the long way for the elevators. Wish they did something about that.
In a nut shell I am so happy I stayed here. I am very cost conscious – especially in NYC because one is hardly in the room in this city… but staying here ensured that I walked almost everywhere which saved expensive cab fare… Also I moved to this hotel after a previous month stay at the dreary Hotel Penn and it was such a delightful experience.
Recommendations, revisits – Yes Definitely. Just hoping they do not become too expensive for my merge purse.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony and in the higher wing
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family