“Close to being uneatable”
Review of Viand - Madison Ave - CLOSED

Viand - Madison Ave
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Burned corned beef, so-so coffee, dry breakfast sausage, several day old dried out home fries from the fridge, and overpriced menu will deter us from coming back. How can one stay in business that long - it's a mystery to me?

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Doesn't look like much from the outside, a tiny diner about 12' wide. But just stopped there for lunch and very pleased with my choice of Greek Salad. Nice fresh ingredients: good quality feta. A couple domades thrown in. Just visiting NYC, but I would definitely go back to Viand on Madison.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Before a doctor's appointment on a Saturday, I stopped into the Viand for a chicken soup and Diet Coke. I was alone and hoping I wouldn't have to sit at the counter--which didn't have any seats left anyway. A table for two had just become available and Yes! I was led to it. So nice, given that the place was packed.

I had only 20 minutes. The soup came in a flash--literally, within three or four minutes of my having ordered. It was homemade, not too salty, and hit the spot.

On the run, I asked for my check and received it immediately. Reached into my backpack for my wallet and... OH NO. I had forgotten my wallet at home!

The manager could not have been more kind. I agreed to call the restaurant later that day with my credit card #. No suspicion or tortuous questions. Simple trust. I will never forget how kind they were.

The Viand was crowded--for all the right reasons: Good, simple food; excellent service; staff who care. I would recommend it any time for a quick bite, especially before or after the museum or shopping. Oh, and did I mention, the manager is a mensch?

Reviewed 28 August 2013

The food was good as was the service. It is the classic, well run New York restaurant of this kind and a perfect choice for families

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Relatively inexpensive restaurants along Madison Avenue on the Upper East Side are very few. Once they were numerous, but that day is long past. Of the few that remain Viand is the best. It's been there a long time and knows what it's doing. The food is generally very good Greek diner food, the service is good, the place is clean. The manager is a friendly man who keeps an eye on things. It is on the small side and can become quite crowded at its busiest times, so be patient. I love stopping in for a snack in the afternoons when it's quiet and I can grab a little table in the window and do some people watching! Mayor Bloomberg (who l lives just around the corner) is a customer too. So the food is good enough for a billionaire!

1  Thank darkmargaret