“HORRIBLE Manager! Bad service.”
Review of Haru Sushi - CLOSED

Haru Sushi
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
Description: One of the first and best-loved Japanese establishments on the Upper East Side, Haru Third Avenue is a neighborhood staple that has provided great sushi since 1997. The restaurant now features a modern renovation, completed in December of 2014, including a spacious bar, beautiful art and indoor, outdoor seating.
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I took a couple of my friends out to Haru tonight for a nice dinner. I've been eating at Haru for many years, but not typically at the 3rd Ave location. Due to a special diet that I am on, I am unable to eat rice. Every other Haru location is fine with that and they can make me rolls wrapped in just seaweed or cucumber, however this location refused. The manager came over and said "No, we don't do that. It's impossible." When I mentioned to him that their other locations do, his response was "OK, we don't." We waited for our sushi to come out for 30 minutes! Also, the edamame first came out once our food was already put down. When it came time to pay the bill, I wanted to use a gift card and pay the remainder with a credit card. They kept telling me that the gift card was declined and that there is no money on it. I knew that there was money on it, and I called the number on the back of the card to check...of course there was money on it. The waiter went to get the manager, and the manager came over to me and in a very loud voice said "this card is no good. Give me another card or pay cash." I told him that I know that the card is fine, and if they would like to check, they can call the number on the card. I suggested maybe that there was a problem with their computer. The manager said "my computer is fine...your card isn't. Pay with another card or give me cash." I said that I will pay with another card, but I have to say the service has left a lot to be desired, and I can't believe the way that he is handling things. I told him that I am not coming back to this location. He said to me "I don't care. Pay the bill and leave."

I go out to eat almost everyday of my life, and I live in NYC so I have eaten at a very large variety if restaurants. This, by FAR, has been the worst service in any sushi restaurant, and I have never been spoken to by a manager the way that he spoke to me tonight. He was loud, rude, flippant, and completely disregarded what I said. I will never go back to this location. My advice for all of you, go to the other locations or another sushi restaurant. Nobody deserves to be treated the way that I was treated tonight...especially after spending a lot of money in the restaurant.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Perfect edamame (a must do of course at any Japanese Restaurant), followed by Miso soup (the second must) and shared an entre of sea scallops with fried tofu, plantains and spinach that was perfect.

Helped that there was a great vibe and the heat was strong on a 25 degree night.

ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU!

Reviewed 30 December 2012

good sushi bar with fab cocktails. service is ok and open quite late. worth the detour if in the hood

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Good fresh sushi not the best but fresh clean and acceptable not to expensive. Good for low key sushi dinner

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Had dinner on saturday night in NY in this restaurant without advanced reservation.
People was extremelly nice and the location is really very nice too.
The menu offer a wide choice if really love sushi and sashimi, but also something else.
The dish portions are not that big and the bill a bit above the expectations.
But all together surely a place to come back.