“Delightful Surprise”

Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
New York
“Delightful Surprise”
Reviewed 25 January 2012

On a very rainy/miserable day in New York City, just prior to visiting a relative in the hospital, we came upon "Cafe Greco" on 2nd Avenue. We looked outside at the menu, which advertised a $19.00 prix fix menu. What could we lose? We were in for a wonderful treat. The bread also comes with home-made mini croissants and corn muffins. There were about 10 selections of appetizers, 8 for entrees, and about 9-10 for dessert (coffee or tea included). My choice was a hanger steak & hubby had grilled fish combination. My steak was absolutely delicious! It was very large (especially for a lunch portion), tender & tasty, accompanied by fresh vegetables and potatoes. Hubby was very happy with his selection as well.

This lovely restaurant is owned & operated by a Greek couple. It has pictures of Greek scenes all over; in addition there are certain areas that can be 'privatized' by curtains that can be closed. It is very cosy and charming. In addition, there is an outside garden - we hope to return when it's spring and sit outside.

It was a lovely lunch for us and we look forward to coming back.

By the way, do not let the construction of the 2nd Avenue subway stop you. The restaurant is there!

• Visited January 2012

Farmington, Connecticut
“fresh and really good in cute atmosphere”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

A friend and I discovered a hole-in-the-wall restaurant called Cafe Greco at 1390 Second Ave between 73rd and 72nd and it was quite a find. It opens up into a spacious and light dining room in the back and it features cloth tablecloths and napkins. Comfortable and pleasant. Everyone who worked there and many of the customers were Greek! Can't go wrong with that!
I had a special : Grilled Lemon Sole and Swordfish on bed of rice w carrots and peas and the fish was spectacular. The white rice was kind of old-school (but tasty) and the peas and carrots were fresh and really good. My friend and I split a wonderful salad with walnuts and gorgonzola cheese... they split it for us in the kitchen (without our asking) and the size was still enormous and the cheese was beyond amazing, not crumbled but sort of generous slices with very veiny blue mottling and it was delicious. I then had a cappucino to die for! I want to take my husband there as I know he'd also enjoy it.

• Visited January 2012