“Great location, nice hotel”
Review of The Marlton Hotel

The Marlton Hotel
Ranked #113 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Faro, Portugal
“Great location, nice hotel”
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Yup, everyone is right. This hotel has all you need provided you don't want to spend all day in your room - and if you are in NYC why would you want to do that? Small rooms that work, nice restaurant, buzzy bar, slightly left-field vibe. GREAT location and some GDP coffee shops, neighbourhood cafés close by. Worked for me during my three days in May 2014. Would recommend.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Martin S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Hebrew first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Ok, so you’ve read the previous reviews and yes, the rooms are small and the hotel staff aren’t hiding it - but this boutique hotel is bursting full of flavour and actually offers it’s guests a very original and authentic New York experience. The lobby, sitting area and restaurant are all in one - and what a great idea this was. By daytime you’re sitting amongst working NY, so everyone's dressed nicely and deep in conversation, and by night, it turns into a jazzy bar that serves smashing cocktails and a great vibe (but don’t worry about the music, I never heard anything from the room).
We were never at the hotel for lunch or dinner, so I cannot comment on the food or service, but we did eat breakfast twice at the hotel - the restaurant itself is gorgeous - there’s four sections, the lobby area, the main lounge, the main dining room (with fireplace!) and the courtyard (which is absolutely stunning) - each of the four sections are very well decorated and an absolute treat to sit within! The food was brilliant - avocado toast and red quinoa with poached eggs, both dishes we delicious, I especially enjoyed the kale sautéed with the quinoa. Unfortunately the coffee snob in me didn’t rate the barristers skills to produce the perfect cup of coffee (which is a shame considering they’ve gone to all the effort with obtaining great beans) nevertheless, I strongly recommend the French guy next door - he does nothing but coffee (and a few pastries from Balthazar), and he, in my opinion, poured the best cup of coffee I had in NY and is actually willing to serve the coffee the way YOU like it (I ordered a Flat White, which wasn’t even on the menu!).
Now down to the rooms, there’s a small room, a queen room and the penthouse. I chose the small room (I wish I didn’t) and not because the room wasn’t more than adequate and not because I needed any more room to hop, skip and jump around - but simply for a bigger bed. I’m only 5”9 and my feet were always hanging at the end of the bed, which started off really annoying, but by the 6th night, I was perfectly arched across the other side of the bed - so this is the biggest room tip if you’re considering booking The Marlton, if you’re taller than me, you will want the queen room with a queen sized bed.
The bathroom was more than adequate - medium sized shower, ample standing area, a great shelve to place your belongings and small basin, that I kind of hoped was a tiny bit bigger - but it worked, and I’m not complaining about it.
Hotel staff were usually nice and helpful - A few of the staff even got to no my name, which added a nice touch to our stay. I’d like to personally thank Eric, the Hotel Manager for personally going out of your way to ensure we have a pleasant stay.
The one thing I’ve forgotten to mention is location - The Marlton is perfectly located within Greenwich, which is exactly where you want to be. 15-20 minute walk uptown, you’re in Flat Iron, 10-15 minutes walking east, you’re passing Broadway and approach Little Italy and China Town, then to your west, you’ll find West Village. The only places you’d want to either Metro of Taxi is anything north of Times Square - NY is much better of foot, so please just walk yourself silly!
If I’m back in NY, The Marlton Hotel will be top of my list.

Room Tip: Choose a queen room, you won't regret it!
6 Thank GreatDane22
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Great Downtown location, next door to Washington Square and a walking distance from Meatpacking District, Soho and The Hudson river. The boutique and intimate hotel was very comfortable and similar to a London club with a cool and modern bar with great cocktails. We stayed in a Queen Room, it was compact to say the least but very well finished, decor, lighting and lovely bathroom and wonderfully comfortable bed. Definitely a great place for young couples ready to explore.

2 Thank FoodV
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We enjoyed our stay although the room was tiny, even not a place for a chair or so. The staff was almost all the time very nice. we got a room on the 5th floor and had a wall as a view from our room. Excellent breakfast (extra charge) and delicious restaurant.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank maria_krasa
Dublin
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I go to New York regularly for work and otherwise. I stayed in the Marlton twice during its soft opening and it was such amazing value for money.. I'm sure the prices have gone up by now but super location, very cool/understated bar. Rooms are a little small but they are so fresh and bright and clean compared to what you normally get in NYC that totally makes up for it. Food in the bar is not the mid-town bar food gunk you get but tasty, healthy bits. And in general the hotel and loungers have a nice hip vibe. I'll be back!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank nicholsonc
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Small hotel with very small but well apointed rooms. Great location in Greenwich Village. Plenty of seating on the lobby for hagning out for cocktails. Easy walk to subway stations and great restaurants. Our room was situated so that we had a view of the Freedon Tower downtown between two buildings across the street. We we getting married in a garden closeby and when the weather threatened to rain on us we asked the hotel for umbrellas for our guests. They loaned us 6 umbrellas for free as long as we returned them before we checked out.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here a few times. Very good location. Walking distance to many restaurants, subway, all you'd need. The area is quiet, especially for NYC.

That said the rooms are small, even for NY standards. There is no desk in the room if you plan on working and there is hardly place to put your luggage.

The staff is generally nice and accommodating.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business