“A great place to stay!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Singapore, Singapore
“A great place to stay!”
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights from 13 Oct 2011. The only dislike I have of the place is the space. The room was very small. However, knowing that this is New York City, I cannot complain. The lift is very very slow. Waiting for the lift can take ages.
The room even though is small, is actually very comfortable. We have problem to put our three large luggages though. Wardrobe space is also a constraint. The staff are very helpful and friendly too! There is free internet wireless. Good for us!
The free breakfast variety was one of the best I know! There are juices, hot beverages including chocolates too! The hot selection changes everyday with limited variety. There is also self-made fresh waffles. Fresh fruits everyday. Bread selection was also good. What's more, the hot beverages were available 24hours! The cafe ambience was very comfortable with enough seats for everyone! What's even better was, they provide breakfast on the go if you're rushed for time!
The location was really convenient. Within walking distance (a few blocks away) at different directions are three different subways (34th Street-Penn Station and Herald Sq) serving different lines. From JFK airport, take the Airtrain to Jamaica Station and change to E train will lead you directly to 34th Street-Penn Station.
Empire State Building, Macy's at Herald Square, JC Penny are within walking distance. Jack's .99 world was just opposite which sells a lot of good stuffs and snacks! It's not a place to be missed!
I would strongly recommend this hotel to tourist. However, bear in mind the limited space. It was a little too small for the 3 of us, with our 3 large luggages. Having said that, I will still return to this place again if I go back to NYC.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, 26 October 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your stay in our hotel. It's true that New York is famous for it's small hotel room sizes, but as you pointed out, our rooms are clean and comfortable.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed our complimentary Breakfast Buffet. We are very pleased to offer a wide variety of items that as you mentioned, change daily. And yes, free coffee 24 hours a day is a very nice perk for the late night vacationers!

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the free wireless internet, and our very central location, and I hope that when you return to New York, that you will choose to stay with us again!

Hunter Angus D. Glass

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2011

stayed there from 10/10/11 to15/10/11 hotel in great location clean and staff always helpful have been to new york every year for the past five years but this is the best hotel yet the room was spotless and the breakfast excellent will stay there again in 2012

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of your stay in out hotel. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will stay with us when you return to New York. I hope to meet you when you come back.

Thank you again!

Peebles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I was part of a very large group who stayed for a week in September 2011. Hunter and his staff were superb - very friendly and nothing was a problem. There was a fantastic choice for self service breakfast and tea and coffee were available 24 hours a day. The bedroom was clean but very small and rather cramped for 3 people sharing. We could have done with a few more coat hangers in the wardrobe but there was an ironing board and iron although I don't think we actually used them. The bathroom had a bath and a very good shower. The air conditioning was a bit fierce - it was a bit like sleeping in a wind tunnel so we tended to switch it off through the night. In a great location - Macy's, the Empire State Building, Penn Street Station, Times Square all within easy walking distance - in fact ideal location for most tourist sites. Would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Group Guest,

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your trip to New York City and that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. You and your group were a pleasure and we were all very sorry to see you all go. Hopefully when you come back to New York you will stay with us again.

Thank you for the wonderful review of our hotel, breakfast, and staff; especially the Manager :-)

Everyone here hopes that you come back and stay with again!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 October 2011

1st stay here, free breakfast was great,free wifi and free use of internet access(business center) staff was very,very nice and really helpful. walking distance to penn station,times square and next to the garment district across the street is a 24 hour international food court the food was great, we ate there twice it also was affordable.
I Loved this hotel and will stay here everytime we go to new york

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Dear First Time Guest,

I am sooo pleased that you enjoyed your first stay at our hotel so much! "The Best Trip Ever" is such a huge compliment, thank you!

I agree with you about Cafe R, it is so close and sooo yummy! Great food at a great price, we LOVE it too!

Well, thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. I hope that the next time you come to New York that you will decide to stay with us again!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 9 October 2011

The staff is very welcoming and place well situated. Our room was not greatly clean. There was gum in our bed linen. The rooms are very small especially the ones with 2 double beds. The free breakfat buffet is well organised and good. Not my prefered location but If you do not have better it is a good place to stay. If you need a parking you it could be cheaper not to go to Central parking even if the hotel offers a discount. With my SUV, it cost me 50$ per days.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in our hotel. I am dissapointed to hear about the linen issue, I will certainly pass along this review to my Executive Housekeeper so we do not have something like that happen again.

I am very pleased that you liked our location, breakfast and especially our staff.

I hope that when you return to New York that you will decide to stay with us again and see that we do usually have wonderfully clean rooms.

São Paulo
Reviewed 8 October 2011

This was my 3rd stay there.
Free wifi, free breakfast ( eggs, sausages, breads, juice, fruits, waffles) and large beds will make your stay more enjoyable. Perfect location for Madison Square Garden concerts and sports.
On a shopping spree? No problem: Macy's one block, plus Victoria's Secret, Levi's, Gap, and a plenty of options on 34th St. (2 blocks). Starbucks half block.
Subway 2 blocks at Herald Square, or 1/2 block to Penn Station.
The only downside: 2 elevators get very busy during "rush hours" (breakfast i.e.), so allow 5 minutes of waiting sometimes.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank MBreak
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our hotel! I am so pleased that you enjoyed our newly expanded breakfast buffet. We have really put our heart and soul into coming up with a breakfast that our guests truly love. I am also please that you enjoy our location. I agree, it is very easy to get anywhere in New York from here.

Again, I wanted to thank you for writing this review, and I hope that when you return to New York that you will choose to stay with us again!

Scotland
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We stayed here in September 2011 as part of a large group. The hotel is ideally situated for many tourist sites and transport hubs, with Penn Station being 5 minutes and Times Square 20 minutes, both these being at a comfortable stroll. We had been told that the hotel would be fairly basic, with small rooms and that the complimentary breakfast would be coffee and a slice of toast. The reality is that the rooms are spacious by Manhattan standards and were kept meticulously clean. Our room had a super king-sized bed, a large wall-mounted flat-screen TV, a large table and an office chair. In the wardrobe were an ironing board and an iron along with a coffee-maker and makings. Our room had a bathroom with a bath and a good shower. There was no safe in our room.
The staff managed to provide an excellent selection for the self-service breakfast, with a variety of coffees, fruit juices, fresh fruit salad, yoghurt, bagels, bread and make-them-yourself waffles. There were hot options too, however I didn’t partake, so can’t comment. The breakfast room was kept tidy and clean and despite the hotel being full, there was never a point where we couldn’t get a seat and enjoy ‘just one more’ coffee and a Danish or a muffin.
Perhaps there could have been a bit more light in the room, perhaps a bit more hanging space, but we were both travelling with a lot of formal wear, not something the casual visitor would have to accommodate.
Hunter, the manager, and his staff were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble and any hitches were met with a ‘can do’ attitude, rather than the response that you often get at hotels.
I would return here without question and can heartily recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank bobby-the-wee-dog
Dear Scottish Guest,

Thank you sooo much for this fantastic review of your stay in our hotel! I am so pleased that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet so much! We are really striving to make breakfast a wonderful experience for our guests.

I am also very pleased that you enjoyed our staff, and especially the Manager, Me!! Haha! Well, it is very nice to hear that you found my staff and I wonderful!

Thank you for the suggestion regarding the lighting, I'll bring this up with Engineering, and I will pass along your wonderful praise to our Housekeeping Staff, they will be thrilled!

Thank you again for taking the time to write this review! We hope to see you in the future!