Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area
Ranked #143 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 December 2011

My son and I travelled to NY to celebrate his 21st and my 50th birthday. He has been several times and new the lay of the land. This was my first trip to the big apple and I certainly was not disappointed. The hotel was spot on. Perfect location for sightseeing. The staff were pleasant and helpful and a small issue with our shower was rectified within 10 mins. I would not have expected such a quick response. Breakfast was varied and just this ticket prior to heading out for the day. I would highly recommend the hotel and have done so to several friends who are intending to travel to NY. Our hotel stay contributed to a fantastic unforgettable birthday trip.

Room Tip: We wer eon the 4th floor. Handy for the lift.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I am so pleased that you chose our hotel to celebrate your's and your son's birthdays!! That is so fun! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your first trip to New York, I'm sure it was a lot to see.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our staff, and found them to be very pleasant.

Thank you for the kind words, and I hope that when you come back for your second trip to New York that you will choose to stay with us again!

General Manger

Write a ReviewReviews (2,055)

Reviewed 9 December 2011

The location was pretty central,the breakfast was very good,the stuff was very friendly,but the rooms were too small.

Room Tip: I was told at the reception desk that all rooms in the hotel are the same,small.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

It is true that most hotel rooms in New York are small. Ours are as well, but as I'm sure you noticed, they are nicely decorated and clean. I'm glad that you liked our location, and i hope that if you return to New York that you will choose to stay with us again.

Thank you for writing this review.

Reviewed 8 December 2011

Don't know why I didn't write this sooner, but here goes:

I stayed here because I was going to see a concert at Madison Square Garden with a friend who's from North Carolina. It was her first time ever in the City and I wanted to make sure we were at a pretty central hotel for the places she wanted to visit. Location wise, you can't get any better. This hotel neighbors Madison Square Garden and Penn Station and is minutes from the Empire State Building and Times Square.
What really stood out to me was the personable and friendly staff. We called to see if we could check-in earlier, which thankfully they did and they held the room for us for about an hour until we arrived (they remembered me by name which I thought was sweet!)

Pros:
- Great location!
- AMAZING staff, from the manager, front-desk to the cleaning staff. They were so nice!
- Clean rooms and comfortable beds, most importantly NO BED BUGS!
- Updated, modern rooms
- Free continental breakfast (and delicious freshly baked cookies at the check-in desk!)

Cons:
- Pricey, but not as pricey as neighboring hotels
- Small, but expected in the City
- If I remember correctly, there was only one elevator which made it a little painful to wait or take the stairs with heavy bags

Overall, I would and will stay here again when traveling for leisure. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank jaymcee01

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for writing this review of your stay in our hotel. I am very pleased that you and your friend enjoyed your stay with us! I am so happy that you found our staff pleasant! That is very nice to hear!

I am also pleased that you enjoy our location and enjoyed our newly expanded Breakfast Buffet!

I hope that you will choose to stay with us when you return to New York in the future!

Reviewed 5 December 2011

The hotel is clean and relatively new. Not a bad location but not a great location, I guess it all depends on what you pay for the room. I saw another reviewer that said they paid $459 - I would not pay that for this hotel. For nearly $500 there are many other choices. We booked last minute and paid less than $200 the weekend after Thanksgiving, which when compared to other hotels was a great deal. It is about block below Macy's. Good shopping and restaurants in the area. Only took us a few minutes to walk to Times Square.

The staff was friendly and very helpful. We arrived on a Friday night and stayed for two nights. While we were unloading the car someone brought us a cart and helped us unload. I asked about parking and he suggested I park on the street, which I had never done. He found me a place almost directly in front of the hotel. He assured me it was safe and the car could sit there for FREE until Sunday night. He even offered to move it if needed. This was great. I saved about $100 on parking (SUV) and the car was fine.

The hotel rooms are small and yes I have stayed in European hotels. These rooms are the smallest we have ever seen. Compared to the sleeping area the bathroom seemed enormous. We had two beds which I think they list as double beds but I think they might be a bit smaller than double. We don't go to NYC to hang out in the rooms. The room size added some fun to our trip since we laughed about it so much. I had to climb out of the bottom of the bed because the side of the bed was so close to the desk you couldn't get past it. There is no place for luggage and only a small cabinet to hang some clothes. No dresser, only a nightstand with a couple of small drawers. We had to leave luggage on the floor and step over it. This isn't a complaint but you should know the rooms are small. In fact everything in the hotel is small. When we brought the luggage cart to our room it blocked the hallway to the room so no one could pass it.

Our room was clean. No complaints at all. Bathroom was clean. We found all the staff to be very helpful.

We would stay again but it wouldn't be my first choice and only because of room size and location although I have to say the location is great for easy access to/from Lincoln tunnel. We could make it work but we prefer just a bit more room.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your stay at our hotel. I am very pleased that you enjoyed out location and it closeness to Macy's and Penn Station. I'm sorry that you felt our rooms were small, New York is famous for it's smaller hotel rooms. I am thrilled however to hear that you really enjoy our Team! I'm glad that they went above and beyond to make your stay a pleasant one.

Thank you again!

Reviewed 4 December 2011

We got last minute reservations for Saturday, December 3 to see the Christmas lights in New York. The last minute rates were expensive - $459 plus tax - but we splurged. The location is excellent and the rooms aren't too small. The shower is tiny but the accommodatiions are normal New York. But the location can't be beaten for sightseeing. You are at the corner of West 31 and 6th Avenue right around the corner from Madison Square Garden, Macy's and Penn Station. Nice staff at hotel and breakfast plus coffee, tea and hot chocolate. Overall it was a good last minute choice.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor as there is lots of street noise
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am glad that we were able to squeeze you in last minute at Christmas time! I am very pleased that you enjoyed our location and the nearness to shopping and Madison Square Garden.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your stay with us.

Reviewed 29 November 2011

The hotel is conveniently accessible via Penn Station (direct transportation from JFK and Newark airports), only 5-min walk even in the rain. In view of the high season, rooms were only available after 3pm (strictly). Hence, we had our hot drinks at the cafe where beverages were made available to all guests all day long while we waited for the room to be ready.

There were 8 rooms on each floor and we had a corner room as requested. The room was small with only 1-door closet. Hence, you can only have one luggage opened at one time. As it was a corner room next to the stairs, we pondered that why a big rubbish bag was left at the exit door for more than a day.

"Cafe R" was just across the hotel that served a variety of food (ranged from Oriental, Japanese, Mexican to American), a good choice for quick food. However, Times Square was further than we were told from the Front Desk, at least a 20-min walk.

Complimentary hot breakfast was served daily (waffle batter was not as good according to the usual Hampton's standard).

Recommend to visitors for a night stay for transit purpose since the hotel is at close proximity to Penn Station.

Room Tip: Get the highest floor that you can to avoid the noise from NY's busy streets. Avoid room units 0...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our hotel. I agree that we are very easy to get to from Penn Station which has access to many trains and subways to get around New York. We are also very close to the 6th Avenue subways as well. Most people consider 42nd street and Broadway as the heart of Times Square and we are only 11 blocks up Broadway from Times Square, I 'm sorry that it seemed longer. I'm glad you enjoyed our breakfast and I hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

We look at staying at Hampton Inns first, whenever we travel. This was no exception and at the right price for a NYC Hotel. Parking conveniently across the street, and relatively inexpensive by the day. The overnight crowd was very large at this time of year due to the holiday and the Macy's parade. So elevators were a bit slow, and breakfast was time consuming, but plentiful. Staff helpful, a bit challenging for them for bag storage as they had so many bags the day we checked out. Not sure why they did not have extra staff with a full hotel? But they were very helpful and friendly. A pleasant visit.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing this review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope that you will choose to stay with us again when you return to New York.