“Hampton consistent quality in the heart of Manhattan”

Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area
Ranked #148 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Neighborhood is ok, rooms are good sized by Manhattan standards, noise from ice machine, doors and street can be a bit much. Staff and cleanliness are excellent, which I greatly appreciated!

• Stayed: December 2011
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your stay in our hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed our staff and found us to be comfortable.

I hope that when your travels bring you back to New York, that you will choose to stay with us again!

Thank you!

Reviewed 15 December 2011

This was my second trip to NYC. Last year I stayed in a four star hotel suite & was hesitant about staying in a smaller less "accomodating" one. But I have absolutely no regrets. I'm glad I chose Hampton Inn. The staff was wonderful, the free breakfast was good. Coffee, hot tea & hot chocolate are also available 24hrs (which was a huge plus after walking in the cold at night). The staff was more than helpful. The only downside is the room space. We were three adults staying in a double-bed room. We fit ok not too comfortable because we were limited with space. But as the other reviews mention, the visit to NY is not to stay in a hotel room. However, the bedding was beyond comfortable. The comforters & pillows were soft & fluffy & felt better than the one's in the four star hotel. And they were exactly what we needed after our long day of walking. There is no doubt I will stay there again on my visit next year.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

I am so pleased that you have no regrets about book our hotel! We may not be a 4 start hotel, but we try and have the service of a 4 star hotel! I am so glad that you enjoyed our Team, and I am very pleased that you enjoyed our wonderful beds!

I hope that when you return to New York for your next trip, that you will choose to stay with us again!

Reviewed 12 December 2011

We did not pick this hotel ourselves but was assigned it after bidding on "one of those hotel bidding sites", but after spending a weekend there, we will go out of our way to ensure we stay there the next time we are in NYC. The staff were very accommodating, the complimentary breakfast buffet was filling, and the location was perfect. Yes, the rooms are not large by any stretch of the imagination, BUT, if you are heading to NYC to spend time in your hotel room, you have a strange sense vacation ideas. We slept in the room, and were not back until we were ready to lie in bed and decompress. If you had any questions or needs, the staff went out of their way to make you happy. It's proximity to Penn Station/MSG enabled us to get to so many other places (NJ Devils game, NY Jets game) in a short period of time yet allowed us to stay in mid town Manhattan and enjoy the shopping and sights nearby. We look forward to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2012

Dear Online Bidding Guest,

I am so pleased that we were the winner of your bid! I haven't tried those sites yet, I am too afraid that I'd get a crummy hotel, but I am so pleased that you got us!

I love your comment about "strange vacation ideas"! I am very pleased that you found our rooms clean and comfortable if not massive! New York is famous for our small rooms, but as you pointed out, most people spend very little time in their rooms. So it comes down to service, and I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed our Team. We all very much enjoy what we do and meeting our guests and delivery the best possible experience that we can for each and every guest.

I am thrilled that you will come and stay with us again when your return to New York, but I hope you will call me directly so we can make sure that you will get us next time!

Reviewed 11 December 2011

My son and I travelled to NY to celebrate his 21st and my 50th birthday. He has been several times and new the lay of the land. This was my first trip to the big apple and I certainly was not disappointed. The hotel was spot on. Perfect location for sightseeing. The staff were pleasant and helpful and a small issue with our shower was rectified within 10 mins. I would not have expected such a quick response. Breakfast was varied and just this ticket prior to heading out for the day. I would highly recommend the hotel and have done so to several friends who are intending to travel to NY. Our hotel stay contributed to a fantastic unforgettable birthday trip.

Room Tip: We wer eon the 4th floor. Handy for the lift.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

I am so pleased that you chose our hotel to celebrate your's and your son's birthdays!! That is so fun! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your first trip to New York, I'm sure it was a lot to see.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our staff, and found them to be very pleasant.

Thank you for the kind words, and I hope that when you come back for your second trip to New York that you will choose to stay with us again!

General Manger

Reviewed 9 December 2011

The location was pretty central,the breakfast was very good,the stuff was very friendly,but the rooms were too small.

Room Tip: I was told at the reception desk that all rooms in the hotel are the same,small.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

It is true that most hotel rooms in New York are small. Ours are as well, but as I'm sure you noticed, they are nicely decorated and clean. I'm glad that you liked our location, and i hope that if you return to New York that you will choose to stay with us again.

Thank you for writing this review.

Reviewed 8 December 2011

Don't know why I didn't write this sooner, but here goes:

I stayed here because I was going to see a concert at Madison Square Garden with a friend who's from North Carolina. It was her first time ever in the City and I wanted to make sure we were at a pretty central hotel for the places she wanted to visit. Location wise, you can't get any better. This hotel neighbors Madison Square Garden and Penn Station and is minutes from the Empire State Building and Times Square.
What really stood out to me was the personable and friendly staff. We called to see if we could check-in earlier, which thankfully they did and they held the room for us for about an hour until we arrived (they remembered me by name which I thought was sweet!)

Pros:
- Great location!
- AMAZING staff, from the manager, front-desk to the cleaning staff. They were so nice!
- Clean rooms and comfortable beds, most importantly NO BED BUGS!
- Updated, modern rooms
- Free continental breakfast (and delicious freshly baked cookies at the check-in desk!)

Cons:
- Pricey, but not as pricey as neighboring hotels
- Small, but expected in the City
- If I remember correctly, there was only one elevator which made it a little painful to wait or take the stairs with heavy bags

Overall, I would and will stay here again when traveling for leisure. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank jaymcee01

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for writing this review of your stay in our hotel. I am very pleased that you and your friend enjoyed your stay with us! I am so happy that you found our staff pleasant! That is very nice to hear!

I am also pleased that you enjoy our location and enjoyed our newly expanded Breakfast Buffet!

I hope that you will choose to stay with us when you return to New York in the future!

Reviewed 5 December 2011

The hotel is clean and relatively new. Not a bad location but not a great location, I guess it all depends on what you pay for the room. I saw another reviewer that said they paid $459 - I would not pay that for this hotel. For nearly $500 there are many other choices. We booked last minute and paid less than $200 the weekend after Thanksgiving, which when compared to other hotels was a great deal. It is about block below Macy's. Good shopping and restaurants in the area. Only took us a few minutes to walk to Times Square.

The staff was friendly and very helpful. We arrived on a Friday night and stayed for two nights. While we were unloading the car someone brought us a cart and helped us unload. I asked about parking and he suggested I park on the street, which I had never done. He found me a place almost directly in front of the hotel. He assured me it was safe and the car could sit there for FREE until Sunday night. He even offered to move it if needed. This was great. I saved about $100 on parking (SUV) and the car was fine.

The hotel rooms are small and yes I have stayed in European hotels. These rooms are the smallest we have ever seen. Compared to the sleeping area the bathroom seemed enormous. We had two beds which I think they list as double beds but I think they might be a bit smaller than double. We don't go to NYC to hang out in the rooms. The room size added some fun to our trip since we laughed about it so much. I had to climb out of the bottom of the bed because the side of the bed was so close to the desk you couldn't get past it. There is no place for luggage and only a small cabinet to hang some clothes. No dresser, only a nightstand with a couple of small drawers. We had to leave luggage on the floor and step over it. This isn't a complaint but you should know the rooms are small. In fact everything in the hotel is small. When we brought the luggage cart to our room it blocked the hallway to the room so no one could pass it.

Our room was clean. No complaints at all. Bathroom was clean. We found all the staff to be very helpful.

We would stay again but it wouldn't be my first choice and only because of room size and location although I have to say the location is great for easy access to/from Lincoln tunnel. We could make it work but we prefer just a bit more room.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your stay at our hotel. I am very pleased that you enjoyed out location and it closeness to Macy's and Penn Station. I'm sorry that you felt our rooms were small, New York is famous for it's smaller hotel rooms. I am thrilled however to hear that you really enjoy our Team! I'm glad that they went above and beyond to make your stay a pleasant one.

Thank you again!