“Comfortable hotel with bad customer service”

Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area
Ranked #163 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Milano
“Comfortable hotel with bad customer service”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

This is my second review on Hampton Inn Madison Square Garden within 2 months. Unfortunately, I had to remove my first, very positive review regarding a stay in April because something new happened last week. On 13 June the hotel took from my credit card the amount of $ 1331.35 without my authorization. Of course the April stay had been settled at the due time!!! I immediately called their customer service, and they told me that the General Manager, Mr Hunter Glass, would send me an e-mail within 72 hours, which he hasn't done. In the meantime, I have started a formal dispute through my bank. What irritates me more is the fact that they didn't bother to explain what happened, showing no interest at all in their clients. I definitely won't choose Hampton Inn Madison Square Garden for my future trips to NY.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pulcherja
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Unfortunately, on Trip Advisor comments I don't have access to the name of the guest who is filling out the review. I do not have any outstanding complaints about credit card charges, but if you would like to call me at the hotel I would be more than happy to figure out what happened and certainly fix it to your satisfaction. I can be reached at 212-947-9700.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Hunter Angus D. Glass

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Corpus Christi
Reviewed 18 June 2012 via mobile

Our youth choir stayed here while on tour. The hotel was prepared for us when we arrived, staff was very helpful and courteous even met the gm in the breakfast room. Big variety of breakfasts well prepared and served. Convenient to many subway lines & shopping areas. I recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear Group Guest,

I am so pleased that you chose our hotel to host your group. I am very pleased that you and your group enjoyed your stay with us! I hope that you will come back and see us again.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This is my 2nd time staying at the Hampton Inn & I plan on returning next month. The rooms are small but comfortable and clean. The hotel is quiet and very well managed. Staff super - friendly, helpful, and courteous. Breakfast is very good - lots of choices and tasted fine. Cookies in late afternoon, too. One of the manger's ( Daryl Griffiths) was most helpful - great customer service. The hotel is close to Penn Station and Madison Square Gardens and not too far from the large Macy's and other dept. stores for shopping. They also offer senior discounts & military discounts
( online) which helps defer the cost which can be very steep in NYC. Overall a very well run establishment.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing this wonderful review. I love to hear that people enjoy staying with us! I am very pleased that you liked our location and expecially Darryl. He will be thrilled to read this review I'm sure.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and I hope to see you soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Very sorry for the late review but still wanted to leave one as we had a great stay, Location was great and very close to Empire state building, Time square, Maddison square gardens etc. Breaskfast was included and was very nice, get there as early as you can because the seating is very limited so if you stay at a busy time of year be prepared to stand. Loved the fact you could make tea/coffee/hot chocolate at any time of day, we stayed in February and it was pretty cold getting back in the evenings so it was a welcome touch. The Hotel was very clean and staff were friendly....I will point out that the rooms are fairly small, especially by Americas standards but it wasn't a huge problem for us(Husband and I and a 12 year old and 9 year old) and it wouldn't put us off from staying here again. After all you don't go to New York and spend much time in the room. I have to mention that the lighting in the bathroom and shower were one of the best i've had on any holiday and i've been on a few so that was a bonus for me, the beds were pretty comfortable too. We didn't get much of a view from our room but we requested a quiete room so it was out of the way. All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our trip to New York and look forward to going back :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bullbreeds
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased that you took the time to review your stay with us, even if it was a little while ago! We know that people choose hotels based upon these reviews, so anytime someone writes a review I am thrilled!

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I agree that our central location is wonderful for getting to all the major attractions. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast buffet. It can be quite a cost savings to have free breakfast and wifi.

I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to see you again.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2012

This is a relatively small hotel but close to everything including Penn Station. Having breakfast and free in-room wi-fi included is an added bonus. The rooms aren’t big and storage can be a bit problematic if you have lots of luggage, but there really are no faults to be attributable to this place (maybe except for very slow lifts which can be frustrating when waiting) which represents great value for money.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing this review of your stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! I am please that you enjoyed our location and our free breakfast and wifi. I hope that when you return to NY that you will choose to stay with us again.

Washington, D.C.
Reviewed 8 June 2012

In terms of location, this hotel was close enough to a lot of attractions since it is in the Midtown vicinity. Lots of shopping and food establishments within walking distance. Staff were friendly during our entire stay which was three nights. Every time we walked through the lobby, someone greeted us at the desk. And of course, every evening like Hamton Inn always does, there was a plate of warm cookies. I just don't know why cookies are left out during the afternoon so I can walk off the calories while I'm out and about.

Now for the reasons why I could only give this hotel an "average" rating. The room was small as others have noted but clean. And this is New York afterall. There was construction behind the hotel and so as soon as the sun was up, the jack hammers and pounding started. Not only did we experience noise outside the building, it was just as loud inside. The doors in the adjoining rooms slam shut. The doors are not properly suctioned (sorry for the poor discription) so when an adjoining room has the door close without someone catching it and slowly closing it, it rattles all the other doors and makes a loud slamming sound and the noise vibrates to our room.

The hairdryer was difficult to use. You have to press down on the power switch the entire time while using it. I do not think it was ADA friendly. My hands got tired after a few minutes of pressing on the button while trying to dry and style.

A hot breakfast was provided in the eating area on the first floor every morning. I can't be absolutely sure, but I think the eggs were powdered eggs. It was some of the worse scrambled eggs that no amount of salt and pepper could fix. I was also disappointed in the waffle station. Other hotels provide fresh strawberry sauce but there was none here. I think for $500 a night, fresh strawberry sauce would have been nice.

Oh, one more good point to end this review. The bed was incredibly comfortable. Our king size bed was soft and I so wanted to take home the comforter.

In terms of location, this place was great. Koreatown was just a block away with some awful food and an entire block of Korean restaurants to try. Times Square, Garment District, Madison Square Garden, Penn Station were all in walking distance. I would recommend this place only for the location.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Guest,

I am glad that you enjoyed our nice comfortable beds and our location. I am sorry to hear about the loud doors, I will have my engineers take a look at those rooms and get them adjust to shut more quietly. Thankfully the two buildings next door are down and the noise has stopped, I'm sorry they had to take them down while you were here. I like your suggestion of strawberry sause for the waffles, I'll see if we can start offering that too.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Stayed at the Hampton Inn 9-13 April 2012. The hotel is within walking distance to all major attractions ie Times square, Empire state Building and and so on. The hotel itself the rooms are a little small but clean the free buffet breakfast is a plus and there was plenty of variety. ocerall I would stay at thisb hotel again and would definately recommend

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank lovetotravel01061972
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! I agree, this location very close to many of New York's attractions as well as the subways.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.