“Last Minute Pick”

Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area
Ranked #149 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I was in New York City a day early and was not able to get into the hotel that I had booked for the next night. I was able to get a room for a very reasonable rate at the last minute. Location is just a block from Penn Station and subway stops. It is very close to many of the major sites in the area, but surprisingly quiet. It very similar to a small boutique hotel. A free breakfast is provided in the morning. The rooms are small but very comfortable, clean and modern. The front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Kevin C, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are glad to have accommodated you with such short notice. Location, cleanliness and complimentary breakfast are some of what our hotel has to offer to our guests. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. We hope that next time you return we are your first pick!

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I was hopeful that this hotel would be OK, because I wanted to stay near NY Penn Station. Although I was assured that I would not hear the large construction project next door, very noisy construction started at 7 am. This is major noise, and the windows are very thin. Unless you are planning to wake up early, there is no escaping this racket. I spoke with the front desk, and tried to speak with the manager, Kevin, but he was too busy to take my calls, and sent me a standard form email instead, asking me to complete surveys positively.

The front desk person did tell me that they do not need to warn potential guests about construction noise since it is outside of their hotel.

The breakfast is standard, except for being in a very crowded area with no place to sit. The room was reasonably clean, and small.

By NYC standards, the rate is cheap. In a year or so, when the large "multi-use development" next door is completed, then maybe I will consider staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Kevin C, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. We apologize for any disturbance you experienced from the construction next door. The noise level does vary according to the daily project, as it would at any construction site. We work closely with the Foreman daily to ensure our guests’ comfort. We certainly anticipate the end result which will surely compliment our neighborhood. I am hopeful that you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating and that they were able to exceed your service expectations. If you would like to contact me to discuss further I can be reached at 212-947-9700.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Close to the Garden with clean rooms great price and very attentive staff. Yes the rooms are small but you are in NYC and what are you doing in your room ? Get out and see the nearby sites. Macy's is close by as is the Garden, a pleasant walk to Time Square and the theaters. Lots of bars and restaurants in the area.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Rooms in New York are a bit snug; it is great that you were able to locate the sites/restaurants nearby the hotel to make for a better stay. Thank you for choosing to stay with us!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I've been traveling around the world and need a quiet place to stay in NYC and close to Penn Station. This hotel met my expectations. Great price, check in was less than one minute. I was on the 14th floor and room was quiet. Room and bathroom were very clean. Breakfast was good. Includes waffles, cereals, bagels, toast, eggs, ham, juices and coffee. I stayed two nights. I didn't leave my room on my 1st morning until after 1pm and the cleaning service still came to my room and cleaned it after I left. i returned that evening and my room and bed was remade and cleaned spotless. I am very pleased and will stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank sunshine150

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are pleased that we met your expectations as far room, cleanliness and amenities; we understand how important that is when traveling. We hope that we have the pleasure to accommodate you in the near future. Thank you for your review!

Reviewed 25 March 2014

This hotel is located just two blocks from Madison Square Garden and Penn Station, great location if you are going to an event at MSG. There are tons of places to eat right around the area. Rooms are small, as expected in New York, but space is optimized. Breakfast was really good in the morning!

Some of the rooms facing the street side are noisy.

Room Tip: Higher up, the better.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Kevin C, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Hampton Inn Hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Breakfast seems to be everyone’s favorite here, glad you enjoyed it. We hope that next time you return to New York City you decided to stay with us.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

After booking this hotel for a 1 night stay, weather impacted my travel plans. Being bumped from flight to flight which were being cancelled, I was informed at 7pm that I would not be making it to NYC.

I immediately called the hotel to inform them. I was told to e-mail them flight info and they would not charge me. They provided me with a cancellation number.......but guess what....still charged me, and are now refusing to reverse the room charge...

That is what we call customer service.....for sure, never again will I book this hotel, and Hilton just lost a customer

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Marc G
Kevin C, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for reaching out to us via TripAdvisor. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced. We would like you to know that your satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us. We will be reaching out to you directly in an attempt to resolve the situation as we are dedicated to ensuring your satisfaction. We look forward to speaking with you and hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you plan to travel to the city.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

The staff at this hotel is very hospitable. Beds are very good, room and bathroom not extreme big, but thats New York style. Breakfast offer is good with fresh fruits and well taken care off. Location is great, right around the corner from Macy's and Penn Station (access to all metro lines) I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Kevin C, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay at our hotel. We are glad that you chose to stay with us and would recommend our hotel. We appreciated all of your comments and concerns. We hope that you decide stay with us when to return to New York City.