“The Nightlife spot on Wednesdays”
Review of Marquee

Marquee
Ranked #148 of 870 Nightlife in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Best nightlife spot in New York, from my point of view. I went on Wednesday this time, very crowded and very sélective/exclusive (guestlist or bottle reservation at least). The sound system and venue évent is amazing, far above European clubbing scenes. It remains a bit expensive, but gréât experience!

1  Thank RD218

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I was in the queue at around 10:30pm. The doorman interested in with at first people who have ticket then if there is a group of girl. Then I don't understand their property but some people who were not in queue but come and go inside easily. I don't understand anything. Some man came and go inside. Three indian boy came and go inside. One group came go inside but queue always waiting and it was getting fewer people. Because all of us were annoyed of ths attitude. He never look us but we were waiting there. Were we invisible for him? He has no respect of our life. He waste all my night... I left from queue and when I was living queue was 20 or less people. It was more than 50 and only 4 man and for girl could go in. He can say us I won't let you go in. He is human we are too. We have life. We have one night to have fun and he loafed the entire night away of us. I left there 01:20 am and when I was living he took somone in who were not in the queue ...

1  Thank Epsilonbay
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We went with a mixed group the security on the door or owner let in our female friends but refused the guys entry we patiently waited in line to be told we would have to pay $2000 for a table, but allowed other guest to pass in and only pay $20 standard entry. Even after we managed to get on the guest list the anally retentive head doorman still refused us entry. We ended up at another club and had a great time. As an event organisor and club manager for many of the UK top Clubs I was dissapointed as i heard such good things about Marquee, that was the only bad mark apart from that New York is an amazing City with a great nightlife and friendly people.

3  Thank Kaigh2012
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I've traveled nearly 1 million miles across the globe for my job. I have made a point of checking out every gay club I can find. Thursday night I went to this club because XL was closed and I like XL a lot.

Found the man Marcus who manages the "list" very arrogant, loud and pretentious in an unkind way. The line holding was pointless because we were made to wait in the wet rainy cold while given the impression the club was full. It wasn't. We got it and there was hardly 75% capacity and they were holding the door to look busy. Very bad customer service.

The club was far too dark, I felt like I was at a Haunted House. It wasn't cute. XL has very hot dancers and Marquee had some dancers but I didn't find the selection to be of interest to my taste.

Then the bartender kept charging my card rather than hold a tab. He didn't even ask and it was so loud I couldn't communicate my drink orders. The card was frozen because Chase said they thought it was stolen, they were charging it too many times in a short span of time. I had to call to get it unblocked. Another bad customer service item, they should know this happens at banks and just open a tab like every other good bar.

XL was pretty amazing. I never went there before and had an awesome experience.

I found Marquee to be arrogant with too much hubris. With so many options out there, businesses cannot afford to use the old Studio 54 attitude with their guests, it just doesn't work in 2013. I won't be going back here and I suggest you stay away too, you will be disappointed.

I have no affiliation with XL, I simply think you will be well-served to go there instead since I am a gay club admirer and I go where the customer service is amazing.

Stay clear of this place, it's not for you.

And Marcus needs a new routine or the owner should get a different promoter. At one point he even yelled at a guest in line for "whatever" reason. It was loud and unpretty.

1  Thank borntodeal
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Really nice crowd. Drinks were expensive, but if you are kind of cheap this is not the place for you. They ended up with New York fo Sinatra which was a good touch.