“Location, location, location”

Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #166 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 August 2014

This hotel is in mid town and found it very easy to get around. Room standards were good although cleaning needs a little attention. Staff are not attentive or overly welcoming and with the wine hour that is on offer (which is great way to meet other travellers) the host and hostess were more interested in guarding the wine then interacting with guests. Overall value for money as we spent a week at this hotel for its standard and location.

Room Tip: Rooms can be a bit noisy with trucks etc
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Louise77Australia
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Thank you for your honest feedback following your recent stay at the Affinia 50 Hotel. I’m very happy to hear that you found our standards high, enjoyed our convenient location and had an overall pleasant experience. I do regret to learn about the lapses in service you encountered in our Wine Hour. Please be assured that your feedback will be reviewed with the entire team. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel

Reviewed 25 August 2014

My room was to a good standard: modern with a comfy bed and a choice of pillows, and the bathroom was small but everything worked. The concierge was fantastic at recommending good restaurants near by for dinner, as the hotel doesn't have it's own restaurant.. Unfortunately however, the constant noise of sirens (the hotel is on the same block as a fire station and a police station) disturbed every night of my two week stay, leaving me completely sleep deprived, despite the hotel-provided ear plugs. Another downside was the cost of the wifi; although I was staying for two weeks, the hotel said that wifi wasn't included in the package, and it would cost USD 14.95 per day. Other reviewers have commented positively on the happy hour - unfortunately these were too early in the evening for business visitors to benefit from. On the whole, although the hotel was reasonably cheap (for Manhattan), I wouldn't stay here again because a hotel has to offer a decent night's sleep to be of any value.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Surrey_Dragonfly
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback with us. The goal of our team is to create memorable experiences for our guests who can now also enjoy our recent $19 million top-to-bottom redesign of all rooms and public areas. I am disappointed to hear that you didn’t thoroughly enjoy your stay and hope to have an opportunity to discuss your experience in further detail. I invite you to contact me directly via TripAdvisor Messenger. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Great Mid-Town East Location, but the best part is the size of the room! I shared a double-room on e a recent trip with my Mother (who is 70) so it was important to have a room that was big enough for two - and had a lounge area and a kitchenette for Mum to make a cup of tea, after I had exhausted her walking around the city.
This was by far the biggest room that I've ever had in NYC - and fit our needs perfectly.
The staff are friendly, and made it feel like a home away from home.
The beds were comfortable and by New York standards the hotel was incredibly quiet, considering it was a few blocks from Sax Fifth Avenue and the Rockefeller Centre.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tim L
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We needed a comfortable place to stay before my husband's surgery at Memorial Sloan-Kettering. We were looking for an affordable room that was comfortable and offered a refrigerator and possible microwave for a necessary liquid diet.
Affinia 50 provided that for us. Our room came with a refrigerator but the staff was able to provide a microwave that fit on the desk. A grocery store was 1 1/2 bock away for us to find food. The doorman was informative about food options for our needs.
The room was comfortable, clean. and well-appointed. On the website, after making a reservation, we were able to choose free extras: a pillow menu, a relaxation kit (yoga mat, weights, videos, etc.) for free. Other options were available for a cost.
The free wine hour was a nice touch.
Because we were satisfied with our stay before a difficult hospital stay, we booked a room for a post-op visit.
The only con is that free wifi was not offered, I thought the price was too high.

Room Tip: The hotel is undergoing some renovations. This was not a problem while we were there but did effect...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank j h
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2015

Thank you for the great review from your stay with us.

Thank you for choosing us as your hotel of choice when staying in NYC. It will be our pleasure to make your future stay another memorable one.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself was great, with convenient location, rooms 2 queen beds (rare in the city) and a wine hour with pretty good wines. This review is specifically for the excellent concierge service we got. David Bach gave us excellent tips on how to enjoy the city. With his suggestions, we enjoyed the city a lot more than we expected -- the tram/gondola ride to Roosevelt island, the walk on Brooklyn bridge, the paddle boats in Central Park, Dylan's Candy Bar...to name a few. He helped us with tickets and helped us with reprinting the tickets when we misplaced them. His assistance with our trip is is very much appreciated. I would recommend Affinia 50, just for his presence. As I said, the hotel itself is very good too. Thanks, David.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Sreeman

I wanted to personally thank you for the kind review. It so gratifying to hear you had such positive experience at the Affinia 50. Our Concierge David and our team really exemplify hospitality and will be thrilled to read your comments. Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge him in your posting.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Until your next stay.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I write this as I still lie in the comfortable bed of this hotel. I'm here with a teenager and the room managed to impress! We were upgraded by the wonderful front desk staff from a two queen bed room (booked with a good for NYC AAA/CAA rate) to a junior suite. The suite is huge by my standards. The room is clean, there is a kitchenette (the ice in the fridge was gross but the front desk promptly sent more up as there are no ice machines). The room temperature was fine, no outside noise disrupted my sleep. There were lots of plugs for all of our devices to charge and the wifi is free with the CAA/ AAA rate (although only for two devices which I think is cheating out. WiFi should be free at hotels). It seems the fancier the hotel you stay at the more they want to gouge you for wifi.

They have a luggage room that you can store your stuff in while you get the most out of your last day in the city.

I've stayed at the Affinia Manhattan before and was equally impressed.

I wish hotels weren't so expensive here but they are and that being said, I highly recommend this hotel as a place to stay in NYC.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jberty
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I spent one night at the Affina 50. Being from NYC, I needed to be right in the area as I had an early interview the next morning. There are TONS of hotels to choose from in NYC, and there are a lot of hotels that are VERY expensive and you don't get much for what you pay. Affina 50 was moderately priced, but it was a good value for a clean hotel room that is located in Midtown East. When staying at a hotel in NYC, one should expect the rooms to be smaller then at a hotel in a different city or state. These rooms were average size for a NYC hotel. It is close to public transportation, and within walking distance to tourist destinations. I brought my dog with me and usually there is an additional pet fee at hotels, but at the Affina, my dog stayed for free. They also left a pet bed, food and water bowl, and a toy for him in the room. I thought this was great! If you are looking for a moderately priced hotel (by nyc standards) that is near subway/bus stops and you can easily travel from place to place and is clean, stay here. It is not the most glamorous hotel, but its a good choice and conveniently located. I would recommend requesting a room on a high floor because the city can get very noisy at night, and if possible, get a room towards the end of the hall. My room was right next to the elevators and I could hear guests talking outside.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor and towards the end of the hall if possible!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MarissaAF823

Thank you for the great review from your stay with us.

Best Regards,