“Great Midtown lunch spot”
Review of Michael's

Michael's
Reserve with OpenTable
Michael's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,347 of 14,286 Restaurants in New York City
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th & 6th Avenue
Transit: Take the N/R trains to 55th Street and 7th Avenue
Reviewed 28 June 2013

This restaurant is a very pleasant lunch spot in Midtown. The service is attentive (they passed the litmus test of refilling water glasses) and the food was very good. I started with the hamachi sashimi - delicious, with good contrasting tastes, though I would probably have put less of the yuzu vinaigrette. I then opted for the Korean steak tacos - again, nicely done, delicate, with interesting flavours. I also had a taste of my friend's asparagus pizza, which I though was delicious but could have used a little spice. Prices were okay, though maybe a little higher than I might have expected. The restaurant itself is bright and the noise level reasonable. Tables could be less close. It was a little difficult to navigate. I would certainly go back to this place.

1  Thank areopagus

Reviewed 30 April 2013

We just went to Michael's for dinner. We have been there for breakfast and lunch many times. In the morning and daytime it is THE place to eat and see everyone and been seen. And the food for breakfast and lunch is delicious and plentiful. However dinner is a different story. The restaurant was very dark and very empty. When they served the food I understood why since the portions were so small. They served 2 scallops for a main dish of seared bay scallops and when I complained the waiter told me that it wasn't a mistake. The others at my table had chicken. The portions were small too but not tiny. Michael's is great for breakfast and lunch but never dinner.

1  Thank travelingdad56
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Not knowing that Michael's was a "place to see and be seen", friends and I dined here before attending an opera at The City Center. I'm glad we didn't know because then we probably wouldn't have dined at there. (We were all 60 plus suburbanites with not a power broker among us.) Everyone from the bar tender to the owner were friendly and welcoming. Kudos to all of you! But, the best part was the array of delectable small plates. Every dish we ordered from the Tuscan kale salad to the lobster with barrata was full of interesting flavors and beautifully plated. The mashed potatoes with Gruyere cheese is our new comfort food! Don't miss the chocolate roulade with chocolate martini ice cream. It's beautiful dessert. And, don't let the hype keep you away. This is a gem of a restaurant.

1  Thank Rosieteafortwo
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Its sistership is in Santa Monica and both are great. MIchaels in NYC is unusual in the amount of space you get surrounding your table. Great for a business meal or romantic dinner. The food is great and wine selection is very nice, even by the glass. Unusual art work surrounds you. Makes for an enjoyable lunch or great dinner.

1  Thank BayHeadTravelinBear
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Although I have had breakfast here many times, this was the first time I had dinner at Michael's. I didn't have very high expectations, so what a nice surprise. I had one of the day's special appetizers - Spanish ham on flatbread. Very simple, but good, fresh ingredients made it memorable. I had the lamb saddle for my entree and an apple clafoutis for dessert. The lamb was outstanding, cooked just right. The dessert was dull and uninteresting.

Service was friendly and efficient. Prices are on the high side, but not excessively so. Our party of five had five appetizers, five entrees, three desserts, three coffees and two bottles of wine and the check came to $422 plus service. Allow for $70-80 per person.

1  Thank MJMH