“I HATED IT!!!”

Otto Enoteca & Pizzeria
Reserve with OpenTable
Otto Enoteca & Pizzeria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #914 of 14,025 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Greenwich Village
Cross street: 8th Street
Transit: 4, 5, 6, N, R, Q, & W trains to 14th Street/Union Square, and the B, D, F, V, A, C, & E trains to West 4th Street.
Description: Modeled after an Italian train station, Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich's OTTO is located on 8th Street, in the historic One Fifth Avenue building. Serving classic Italian pizzas and pastas, a large selection of house-cured meats, Italian and local cheeses, Artisanal Gelato, and boasting a 750+ all-Italian wine list, OTTO has become a destination for New York diners as well as a neighborhood hot spot.
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Otto is most probably the WORST excuse for an Italian restaurant that I have ever been to. If you do not have a discriminating palate then perhaps you should go and try the vile and hideous food that we ordered. It was to say the least, an insult to Italian cuisine. Mario Batali's ancestors would be turning in their graves if they knew the low level fare he is offering up. I disagree with the other reviewers who said their food tasted like Chef Boyardee. I think that Chef Boyardee in the can is leagues above the quality and taste of what we attempted to eat!
Here's an example of what was wrong: PASTA A LA NORMA- a dish we have eaten all over Italy and often prepare for ourselves at home. The pasta was severely undercooked, the eggplant pieces were burnt, and the marinara sauce which was burgundy in color, was God awful! How the hell does an Italian restaurant screw up marinara sauce? The other pasta dish we ordered looked like it came from a homeless shelter. The presentation of the undercooked rigatoni with chopped sausage and escarole was so underwhelming that it could have been assembled by a child. A total embarrassment for a restaurant of this purported calibre. Needless to say, we didn't stay for dessert!
So this is my advice- Run from anyone who suggests this restaurant. It was the culinary experience from hell.....

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We tried penne Pasta at this joint but it disappointed us . It was undercooked and lack of authentic taste. The sauces of Pizza were too bland that we did not enjoy the food .

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Having read some favourable reviews and having a 6 year old in tow we decided to visit early on a Wednesday evening. We didn't book and whilst this wasn't a problem at 7.00 it may well have been by 7.30. First impressions were that it was great for large groups and people with kids. It would be hard to have an intimate meal whilst shouting to be heard. We'd never heard of Wikki Sticks but I can safely say that they are the most entertaining pre-meal entertainment we've ever been given in a restaurant. We were still finding games to play with them when the bill was being sorted.

The food - I'd read somewhere that the meat and cheese selection was worth trying so we started with bresaola and ruccola and a selection of cheeses. The cheeses were accompanied by various fruits and honey. The cherries initially reminded us of bad childhood medicine experiences but when paired with the stronger cheeses the memory was quickly dismissed. The pasta and pizza mains were both what I'd describe as sensible European size portions. The meatballs and pasta were shared by my wife and son who were both very happy with their choice. I tried the Quattro Stagioni and whilst the toppings were more interesting than those at Serafina in the Meatpacking district I'd still say the former won. We finished with a cup of the olive oil ice cream. It sounded wrong and after the first mouthful none of us were convinced. The empty cup suggests that we were all converted by the end. One criticism relating to the main courses. The air conditioning was turned up so high that we all felt that the food cooled down more quickly than it should of. I guess it's due to the sheer number of customers but it did spoil the experience a bit.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Excellent restaurant. Friendly staff, our waiter was very helpful in explaining the menu to us and assisting us in our selections. We started with Di Carni and the prosciutto and testa were delicious.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

To begin on a positive note — the cocktails are potent and 50% of the barmen are civil people. (The other guy was having a bad evening.) That's it positivity-wise I'm afraid.

For a starter, my wife ordered a caprese salad. This arrived with tinned, whole tomatoes. I kid you not.

I ordered "beetroot with saba". What's saba? Well I wasn't sure either but I soon learned that saba is another word for the cheap vinegar that jarred beetroot comes in.

For mains I went for pepperoni pizza. The pepperoni was tasty but burnt to a crisp, and the rest of the pizza was skimpy and very biscuity too. I have had worse pizzas — but in Macedonia, or Moscow, not in Italy or New York or anywhere with a mafia.

My wife had penne wit walnut pesto. The walnut pesto was okay but unremarkable, and overly salty. The penne was this unforgivable thing; it had that stale reluctance of texture that normally signifies unbranded bargain basement pasta with a sell-by-date sometime like 2025 A.D.

Which is still a full eternity before my wife or I, together or separately, will return to this busy, terrible restaurant.