“Very Good Despite Growing Pains”

Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park
Ranked #222 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, Texas
“Very Good Despite Growing Pains”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The hotel had only been open a couple weeks when my wife and I stayed for a couple nights. We were in town to see Neil Young at Carnegie Hall and this hotel was a perfect location for that, basically a block or two away.

Our room was on a corner facing Broadway and 54th, 12th floor. It was fantastic and much larger than we expected for Manhattan. The style was contemporary with great colors. Everything was brand new, of course, so that was nice.

The bathroom was surprisingly spacious, with separate tub and shower. There was a small table and a couple chairs in addition to a desk and drawers below the wall-mounted flat-screen TV. The windows were floor to ceiling and wrapped around the whole room.

The fitness room on the 35th floor was fantastic and had a personal trainer with whom you could schedule yoga sessions. I believe Jenny (the personal trainer) said the guest rate for personal training or yoga is half the standard (so about $50/session). The view from the 35th floor was great, facing south. We could see Times Square and a cruise ship docked in the Hudson.

We had great service in the Bistro on the 4th floor (or 5th, can't remember) and there was a lot of great seating. I did a couple hours' work while there and didn't mind at all.

Finally, there were a few kinks. The thought had crossed our minds when we booked, knowing it was a brand-new hotel. We had a couple episodes with the shower not getting hot water and the TV not working. But overall the staff responded promptly and solved the problems to our satisfaction.

Bottom line: we will definitely consider this hotel for our next trip to Manhattan.

Room Tip: The corner room with floor to ceiling windows made for a great view of Broadway.
2 Thank worldfamousjeff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Courtyard Central Park is a well designed hotel with modern furnishings with many tourist attractions (Broadway, Central Park, Radio City, Met Opera, etc.) nearby.

Reception/lobby is shared by Residence Inn/Courtyard and you take a set of elevators on the left to go up to Residence Inn (higher floors and longer stays) and right to go up to the Courtyard rooms. The staff/doormen were all courteous and smiles. The hotel appears to be spotless.

My stay was during a usually low occupancy weekend night in January. I booked a lowest category room and expected an upgrade to a better room (corner, Central Park/Broadway/Times Square view) due to my gold elite status. But no acknowledgement of my elite status during check-in. And no upgraded room. I am sure if I asked, they would have upgraded me but I am not the type that ask. It would be nice if the hotel proactively provided the stated benefits/privileges of Marriott Rewards elite members.

Given the size of the room (small) the hotel might not be comfortable for a longer stay. The bed pretty much eats up all the space of the room and there is no chair to sit on except for the desk chair. There is a closet and a luggage rack for a smaller luggage. The bathroom is modern and I appreciate that the showerhead can be handheld although water pressure isn’t that great. There was a Keurig machine with a selection of coffee and green tea pods. I am not sure if certain rooms offer Nespresso machines as shown in some pictures. Another feature is an empty fridge. So many hotels these days don’t offer a fridge or fill them up with unnecessary snacks/drinks so this is appreciated.

The TV is big with good selection of TV channels (but no Disney Jr. or Nick, Jr. channels for the young ones). Wi-fi worked really well. And there are many outlets to recharge your electronics. The bistro/lounge on the 4th floor is expansive with spaces to relax, eat and use Internet.

I would certainly return to this hotel for quick NYC getaways and hopefully I can experience a central park view.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
West Nyack, New York
Reviewed 19 January 2014

great location, nice rooms- you could still tell the hotel just opened December 2013. the bathrooms were small but clean and set up well and the beds were really comfortable. only big disappointment was we were promised a really nice view because we were there for a special occasion and we are Marriott gold members and the view they gave us was not good at all.

Room Tip: if you are looking for a really good view stay in the residence inn- same location but the higher fl...
1 Thank beezer1231
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I traveled to New York City for business but also for a quick overnight with my 5 year old son. I travel to New York for business at least 3 times a month and this was the first time in quite a long while I've stayed at a Marriott property in the city. The staff was amazing- absolutely delightful and courteous- and were all wonderful to my 5 year old (who is a mini hotel aficionado himself). From the doorman, to the desk staff, management, cleaning… everyone was incredibly personable, kind, and had fun playing and talking to my son. We stayed in a corner king- the room was GREAT-loved the bathroom! Since the hotel is brand new- still has some kinks to work out- The shower was scalding hot and we couldn't cool it down and the hotel phone didn't work- we couldn't dial the front desk. Things I hope they'll remedy.

I had business nearby, but could also walk with my son to Times Square and Central Park. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jessica2830
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Not your typical Courtyard!

I'm a Marriott B-traveler and always look for newer Courtyards. This one is brand new and has great location just above Times Square. Definitely keeping this one in my favs

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The Courtyard is a new hotel located right on Broadway and steps away from the David Letterman Show, the staff are the friendliest and most helpful, the rooms are modern and roomy for New York, the prices are great there is even a Starbucks located on the 3rd floor. I really can't say enough about this hotel, I look forward to staying here again!

4 Thank Lori D
Timothy M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you LoriD for taking the time to share your feedback regarding our hotel. I'm very happy to hear you found our staff's services to be the friendliest and most helpful. We're looking forward to welcoming back for a return visit - whether you're in town for the David Letterman Show, other local attractions, or simply to re-visit our Starbucks and Bistro!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 13 January 2014

SUMMARY
Let's just say that I was blown away! If you want to experience a great retro look (do you remember orange and avocado?) with an incredible bed, linens, etc., then look no further!! The new Courtyard Central Park / Midtown rocks!

I am in the city for a trade show and saw that Marriott was opening a new hotel. Actually, the Courtyard is in floors up to 34 and then there is also a Marriott Residence Inn on the higher floors.

LOCATION
Not convenient to Javits, but what the heck, I had a day to burn, so thought I would give it a go for the first of four nights I am in the city. The Courtyard has a great location, north several blocks from Times Square. If you are healthy, walking is easy straight down Broadway. Carnegie Deli is less than a block, the Park is a few short blocks to the the north and MOMA a few blocks to the east.

CHECK IN
Was greeted warmly by Anca (from Romania) who wanted to be sure that I had an exceptional experience. I mentioned that I normally frequent Prefer hotels (and resorts), but that I wanted to try Marriott properties, including this new hotel. i think that helped me score an upgrade. Anca and her supervisor were warm, friendly and playful - a perfect blend of the front desk for a weary traveler just wanting to get to their room.

ROOM
Remember only one thing from this review. You want the room that ends in "06". See my hotel layout in the photos I've taken. I'm really sorry I didn't take a photo of the bed or bathroom, but, alas, I used them both... And didn't feel good about sharing those :-( Note: This is a king bed room, not double beds...

Room 3206 was on the southeast corner staring straight down Broadway (and east 54th). The bank of windows was simply INCREDIBLE!! The 42"ish flat screen TV had an articulating arm that could vary the position of the tv - smart. Great Kuerig coffee with tea and really nice mugs.

BATHROOM
The bathroom had both a tub (with bath crystal salts that I did not enjoy) and shower that indicated water temperature. Also has a European style toilet with dual flush mode - smart! The bath is huge! Only hassle was trying to get the water temperature "dialed in" - but that is some minor niggling...

GYM
Go to the 35th floor and check out the gym. Even if you don't want to use the many treadmills or free weights, it's cool to get a different view.

Finally, I never take this long to write a review - JUST DO IT!! You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: See my review - Rooms ending in "06" are the best in the hotel - southeast corner facing t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank MarkandBetsy
Thank you to MarkandBetsy for sharing your comments and tips about our hotel. I was excited to see you enjoyed the many details that went into making our new hotel a "W-O-W" for you! I was particularly pleased to see your comments regarding our staff service, and your comments regarding Anca in particular. I have shared your comments with her, she was as happy to hear them as I was to read them! In short, I'm glad you decided to "give it a go" and stay with us - we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in town to attend a conference at Javitz, other business, or simply a leisurely get-a-way!