Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“quite stylish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

My boyfriend stayed over New Year's for four nights and were pleased with the modern interior of our room, and especially our bathroom. I particularly loved the orange. The room was a pretty normal size for New York, and the furniture was well laid out for space efficiency. It was also super clean, and obviously new-- so new that our sheets were actually uncomfortably stiff, which made it a bit hard to sleep! I will caution light sleepers that the walls are thin; we could hear everyone talking in the hallway very clearly.

The hotel definitely has personality, which is something I've previously complained the Marriott brand lacked. I did find the hallway and lobby decor rather harsh and almost scary, but I suppose it was intended to look edgy.

Overall our stay was really pleasant. The staff were all really, really nice, although they seemed a little confused at points during our checkout. One thing that was a little annoying was the lack of a seating area in the lobby. We were waiting inside for about 25 minutes for our car service to the airport (since it was 7 degrees outside), and there was nowhere to sit and comfortably wait.

A friend actually booked and paid for this hotel, which is extremely lucky for us considering how expensive New Year's Eve and day were, however, their everyday rate is actually rather reasonable considering the location.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

The hotel had only been open a couple weeks when my wife and I stayed for a couple nights. We were in town to see Neil Young at Carnegie Hall and this hotel was a perfect location for that, basically a block or two away.

Our room was on a corner facing Broadway and 54th, 12th floor. It was fantastic and much larger than we expected for Manhattan. The style was contemporary with great colors. Everything was brand new, of course, so that was nice.

The bathroom was surprisingly spacious, with separate tub and shower. There was a small table and a couple chairs in addition to a desk and drawers below the wall-mounted flat-screen TV. The windows were floor to ceiling and wrapped around the whole room.

The fitness room on the 35th floor was fantastic and had a personal trainer with whom you could schedule yoga sessions. I believe Jenny (the personal trainer) said the guest rate for personal training or yoga is half the standard (so about $50/session). The view from the 35th floor was great, facing south. We could see Times Square and a cruise ship docked in the Hudson.

We had great service in the Bistro on the 4th floor (or 5th, can't remember) and there was a lot of great seating. I did a couple hours' work while there and didn't mind at all.

Finally, there were a few kinks. The thought had crossed our minds when we booked, knowing it was a brand-new hotel. We had a couple episodes with the shower not getting hot water and the TV not working. But overall the staff responded promptly and solved the problems to our satisfaction.

Bottom line: we will definitely consider this hotel for our next trip to Manhattan.

Room Tip: The corner room with floor to ceiling windows made for a great view of Broadway.
2 Thank worldfamousjeff
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Courtyard Central Park is a well designed hotel with modern furnishings with many tourist attractions (Broadway, Central Park, Radio City, Met Opera, etc.) nearby.

Reception/lobby is shared by Residence Inn/Courtyard and you take a set of elevators on the left to go up to Residence Inn (higher floors and longer stays) and right to go up to the Courtyard rooms. The staff/doormen were all courteous and smiles. The hotel appears to be spotless.

My stay was during a usually low occupancy weekend night in January. I booked a lowest category room and expected an upgrade to a better room (corner, Central Park/Broadway/Times Square view) due to my gold elite status. But no acknowledgement of my elite status during check-in. And no upgraded room. I am sure if I asked, they would have upgraded me but I am not the type that ask. It would be nice if the hotel proactively provided the stated benefits/privileges of Marriott Rewards elite members.

Given the size of the room (small) the hotel might not be comfortable for a longer stay. The bed pretty much eats up all the space of the room and there is no chair to sit on except for the desk chair. There is a closet and a luggage rack for a smaller luggage. The bathroom is modern and I appreciate that the showerhead can be handheld although water pressure isn’t that great. There was a Keurig machine with a selection of coffee and green tea pods. I am not sure if certain rooms offer Nespresso machines as shown in some pictures. Another feature is an empty fridge. So many hotels these days don’t offer a fridge or fill them up with unnecessary snacks/drinks so this is appreciated.

The TV is big with good selection of TV channels (but no Disney Jr. or Nick, Jr. channels for the young ones). Wi-fi worked really well. And there are many outlets to recharge your electronics. The bistro/lounge on the 4th floor is expansive with spaces to relax, eat and use Internet.

I would certainly return to this hotel for quick NYC getaways and hopefully I can experience a central park view.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
West Nyack, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

great location, nice rooms- you could still tell the hotel just opened December 2013. the bathrooms were small but clean and set up well and the beds were really comfortable. only big disappointment was we were promised a really nice view because we were there for a special occasion and we are Marriott gold members and the view they gave us was not good at all.

Room Tip: if you are looking for a really good view stay in the residence inn- same location but the higher fl...
1 Thank beezer1231
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

I traveled to New York City for business but also for a quick overnight with my 5 year old son. I travel to New York for business at least 3 times a month and this was the first time in quite a long while I've stayed at a Marriott property in the city. The staff was amazing- absolutely delightful and courteous- and were all wonderful to my 5 year old (who is a mini hotel aficionado himself). From the doorman, to the desk staff, management, cleaning… everyone was incredibly personable, kind, and had fun playing and talking to my son. We stayed in a corner king- the room was GREAT-loved the bathroom! Since the hotel is brand new- still has some kinks to work out- The shower was scalding hot and we couldn't cool it down and the hotel phone didn't work- we couldn't dial the front desk. Things I hope they'll remedy.

I had business nearby, but could also walk with my son to Times Square and Central Park. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jessica2830
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Not your typical Courtyard!

I'm a Marriott B-traveler and always look for newer Courtyards. This one is brand new and has great location just above Times Square. Definitely keeping this one in my favs

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

The Courtyard is a new hotel located right on Broadway and steps away from the David Letterman Show, the staff are the friendliest and most helpful, the rooms are modern and roomy for New York, the prices are great there is even a Starbucks located on the 3rd floor. I really can't say enough about this hotel, I look forward to staying here again!

4 Thank Lori D
Timothy M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you LoriD for taking the time to share your feedback regarding our hotel. I'm very happy to hear you found our staff's services to be the friendliest and most helpful. We're looking forward to welcoming back for a return visit - whether you're in town for the David Letterman Show, other local attractions, or simply to re-visit our Starbucks and Bistro!