“Middle of everything in NYC!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park
Ranked #235 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Middle of everything in NYC!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed at this new Courtyard over a weekend in February using points. As everyone already notes it’s a new hotel. Thought their lobby on the 4th Floor was well done and a great place to hang out until the room was ready. There was a bar and tons of private seating areas with individual tvs and personal outlets to charge devices. The overall design of hotel was very sleek and modern design and different than a standard Courtyard. The staff was very friendly and eager to help.
The rooms are small but it’s NYC so it’s what I expected as a former NYC resident. Very clean and interesting shower set-up. The bed and linens were great. The negative with the room would have to be the heating/cooling unit must have had something wrong with compressor as it made a loud sound turning on. Did not advise till we left because did not want to move and we did not spend much time in the room. Think it’s some small growing pains.
The location is great and convenient to so many things you want to do in NYC. My daughter and I did walk here from Penn Station. We also walked to the Natural History Museum on UWS. Can walk to anywhere in Times Square. We also walked to MOMA. Please keep in mind we are former New Yorkers and used to walking a lot. Think the title of this hotel is funny using Central Park. Yes, you are close and it’s walkable but the area is more like Hells Kitchen, which is a great area for local restaurants, and not the tourist traps in the center of Times Square. Staying in NYC is all about location and this new Courtyard hits the mark. Would stay here again when we come back with or without points

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

This hotel is in a great location, easy access to central park, times square, etc. Rooms are smaller then other courtyards but this is to be expected in New York. Great staff, nice comfortable rooms. We were 4 (2 adults and 2 kids) and booked a 2 double bed room which worked out fine. Overall great stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
kirkland wa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

We were so excited when we found out Marriott was opening a new 65 story hotel right at Central Park, meaning a couple New York blocks away from the south end of the park where horses and carriages line up for hire. We were not disappointed in the location or the dramatic views from the 45th floor. The snazzy contemporary furnishings were definitely wow, but after our first impressions, my eleven year old granddaughter remarked that it was the smallest room we had stayed in all that vacation. And she was right, but welcome to New York City! Although the room had two beds (one was a double, the other a queen) what is what they gave us for 4 people, there is not adequate storage space for a family of four unless all four of you are backpacking or business traveling with the minimal.
The location couldn't be better. For tourists you are close to everything you want in NYC. Broadway, Times Square, and Fifth Avenue is within walking distance for most people, and the Ritz is "just around the corner", a destination place with an Eloise shop and a plaque on the building that says "Eloise lives here!". Central Park is huge, so you might need to catch a cab for attractions at the north end.
Beds were fine but sheets were stiff and funky and we weren't quite sure what to do with them. Bathroom was so small you had to close the door strategically to use the commode!, but did have adequate storage. I may be provincial, but I expect built-in hair dryers in hotels now days, and was quite taken back when I called the front desk about hair dryers and was asked, "you need a hairdryer??" They wanted to send one up, but I wasn't willing to tip somebody for the hotel's failure to supply! The kitchen was well done with everything you need in a very compact space, again, very sleek and modern.
General service was fine although a few people on the front desk had a little more disinterested attitude than I like to see. Breakfast menu was great, but they kept running out of food and were not speedy about replacing.
Amenities seemed quite good although we didn't have time to use except for needing a computer and printer for our airline boarding passes. The work/computer reading lounge is incredibly inviting with tables and lounge chairs and huge windows opening up to the outside city view.
We had booked a couple months ahead of time with what I thought was an introductory rate, but which turned out to be standard rates. Whether that is a good value depends on what you are used to paying for a New York hotel. But, oh well. Just check out the view, again!

Room Tip: The higher, the better, in my opinion!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank nwkindagirl
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Believe everything you read about the sheets. So disappointing and weird. What I value in a hotel is a good night's sleep after a long active day. Not here. It is so odd that every Marriott brand hotel I've ever stayed at has super comfortable beds and linens. Here they are stiff, abrasive and noisy. And I spent 80,000 points for two nights.... not the reward I hoped for. The location was good, the staff very nice, the view great...but don't expect to sleep well. Also, bbreakfast was chaos. Everything was empty and as soon as they reloaded, there was a mad dash to get food. No big deal, I can live without the breakfast but not without soft sheets.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kristiana
Atena1981, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Kristina
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations in regards to our bedding and breakfast.I am happy that you liked our location, staff and views. I would love to regain your trust, if given the opportunity please feel free to contact me directly at anca.marginean@marriott.com if you want to further discuss your stay. Looking forward to hearing back from you. Sincerely, Anca Marginean Assistant Front Office Manager
Somerset, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

This hotel is amazing. At night, its so well lit with a blue neon light and shines on other hotels to show its there. I work for hotels so I am very jaded, but this hotel is amazing. The room is brand new and spotless. The view is great. NYC rooms are a bit small but packed with amenities like real K-cup coffee machines!
This is an amazing hotel. Great job!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Ian M
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I chose this hotel because of the location to where I was working. I arrived quite late, it was difficult for the taxi to find as its new, but it will soon become well known.

reception was quick and efficient
room was a decent enough size
location steps away from broadway (tourists) and 5th ave business

no room service
confusing elevators (2 towers - 2 sets of elevators)

All in a all a decent enough place to stay

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear lenaDubai,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry our elevators are confusing with the two brands; we just placed signs on the elevators banks to make it easier on our guests. I am happy you loved our location and our reception. I myself say that we are in the in the perfect location in Manhattan right in the middle of everything. Once again thank you for your feedback, looking forward to having you back with us. Yours sincerely, Anca Marginean Assistant Front Office Manager
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

This hotel has a great location, as it is on Broadway, steps away from Times Square, the theaters and Central Park. As of location, it is perfect. But there were some things that were not so good.
The linens in the bed for example are clean, but are extremely noisy. The lines fabric seemed to be paper and not cloth. Everytime I moved in the bed, the noisy was so much that I would wake up every time. The air conditioning is also not working properly. It could freeze you to death or warm you to death. There were not midterm. The rooms were small and not spacious. The bathroom was tiny and there was a gap at the door that made possible for people on the hall to see who is inside. The staff was very friendly and polite but they were pretty young, it did not seem like they had much experience or were seniors as I saw in other Marriot hotels. Breakfast was average too, not many options and it was not a buffet. The other thing that bothered was that the room amenities were not replaced during the 5 days I was there (like soaps, shampoos, even towels when were replaced they missed to leave a pair of face towels for example). I should have probably complained about the amenities and ask for it, but was busy planning my trip and working, so I didn't bother.
Overall is a good hotel, but for the room rate you pay and for being a Marriot, I was expecting more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo