Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park
Ranked #227 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 May 2014

When in NY, it's all about location and this hotel met our needs. We appreciated the numerous eating options that were near by (Trattoria dell Arte, Blue Ribbon Sushi, Carmine's to mention just a few) that were not only yummy but also fun. The hotel was quiet with well appointed rooms. There were two of us and the room was adequate for both of us. The bathroom had plenty of storage, wonderful towels and a shower that was outstanding. Comments have been made regarding the noisy sheets, it was as if they'd been starched, they didn't bother us in the least. The bed was very comfortable. The heat/AC unit was a bit noisy.

There is an outdoor balcony on the 35th floor. Great space to take pictures day or night. You walk through the gym to get to it. The gym looked very complete with wonderful views.

The fourth floor has an informal restaurant, casual seating, computers w/printers. There were never many people there and the environment felt very calm and relaxed. Great place to grab a beer, glass of wine, or coffee. They were very accommodating in making a travel lunch for us to take on the plane.

Housekeeping was a bit erratic, I think much of it is just the newness of the hotel and working out the bugs. A call was all it took to get things taken care of.

Great hotel. I would stay again without hesitation.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,232)

Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is a new hotel in a very convenient location. Excellent staff and my only complaint (and it's a big one) is the sheets on the bed. It's almost like they are made of plastic. Every time you move in the bed the sheets make a noise which made sleeping soundly almost impossible. We had a 2 bed room and between my sleeplessness and the person in the other bed experiencing the same thing we were exhausted every day we were in NYC from lack of sleep. We even had a white noise machine running and that couldn't drown out the sheet noise. Every time we turned over in the bed it woke us up. I have stayed in many Marriott's over the years but have never had this experience.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed at this new Courtyard over a weekend in February using points. As everyone already notes it’s a new hotel. Thought their lobby on the 4th Floor was well done and a great place to hang out until the room was ready. There was a bar and tons of private seating areas with individual tvs and personal outlets to charge devices. The overall design of hotel was very sleek and modern design and different than a standard Courtyard. The staff was very friendly and eager to help.
The rooms are small but it’s NYC so it’s what I expected as a former NYC resident. Very clean and interesting shower set-up. The bed and linens were great. The negative with the room would have to be the heating/cooling unit must have had something wrong with compressor as it made a loud sound turning on. Did not advise till we left because did not want to move and we did not spend much time in the room. Think it’s some small growing pains.
The location is great and convenient to so many things you want to do in NYC. My daughter and I did walk here from Penn Station. We also walked to the Natural History Museum on UWS. Can walk to anywhere in Times Square. We also walked to MOMA. Please keep in mind we are former New Yorkers and used to walking a lot. Think the title of this hotel is funny using Central Park. Yes, you are close and it’s walkable but the area is more like Hells Kitchen, which is a great area for local restaurants, and not the tourist traps in the center of Times Square. Staying in NYC is all about location and this new Courtyard hits the mark. Would stay here again when we come back with or without points

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 May 2014

This hotel is in a great location, easy access to central park, times square, etc. Rooms are smaller then other courtyards but this is to be expected in New York. Great staff, nice comfortable rooms. We were 4 (2 adults and 2 kids) and booked a 2 double bed room which worked out fine. Overall great stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We were so excited when we found out Marriott was opening a new 65 story hotel right at Central Park, meaning a couple New York blocks away from the south end of the park where horses and carriages line up for hire. We were not disappointed in the location or the dramatic views from the 45th floor. The snazzy contemporary furnishings were definitely wow, but after our first impressions, my eleven year old granddaughter remarked that it was the smallest room we had stayed in all that vacation. And she was right, but welcome to New York City! Although the room had two beds (one was a double, the other a queen) what is what they gave us for 4 people, there is not adequate storage space for a family of four unless all four of you are backpacking or business traveling with the minimal.
The location couldn't be better. For tourists you are close to everything you want in NYC. Broadway, Times Square, and Fifth Avenue is within walking distance for most people, and the Ritz is "just around the corner", a destination place with an Eloise shop and a plaque on the building that says "Eloise lives here!". Central Park is huge, so you might need to catch a cab for attractions at the north end.
Beds were fine but sheets were stiff and funky and we weren't quite sure what to do with them. Bathroom was so small you had to close the door strategically to use the commode!, but did have adequate storage. I may be provincial, but I expect built-in hair dryers in hotels now days, and was quite taken back when I called the front desk about hair dryers and was asked, "you need a hairdryer??" They wanted to send one up, but I wasn't willing to tip somebody for the hotel's failure to supply! The kitchen was well done with everything you need in a very compact space, again, very sleek and modern.
General service was fine although a few people on the front desk had a little more disinterested attitude than I like to see. Breakfast menu was great, but they kept running out of food and were not speedy about replacing.
Amenities seemed quite good although we didn't have time to use except for needing a computer and printer for our airline boarding passes. The work/computer reading lounge is incredibly inviting with tables and lounge chairs and huge windows opening up to the outside city view.
We had booked a couple months ahead of time with what I thought was an introductory rate, but which turned out to be standard rates. Whether that is a good value depends on what you are used to paying for a New York hotel. But, oh well. Just check out the view, again!

Room Tip: The higher, the better, in my opinion!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank nwkindagirl
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Believe everything you read about the sheets. So disappointing and weird. What I value in a hotel is a good night's sleep after a long active day. Not here. It is so odd that every Marriott brand hotel I've ever stayed at has super comfortable beds and linens. Here they are stiff, abrasive and noisy. And I spent 80,000 points for two nights.... not the reward I hoped for. The location was good, the staff very nice, the view great...but don't expect to sleep well. Also, bbreakfast was chaos. Everything was empty and as soon as they reloaded, there was a mad dash to get food. No big deal, I can live without the breakfast but not without soft sheets.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Kristiana
Atena1981, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Kristina
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations in regards to our bedding and breakfast.I am happy that you liked our location, staff and views. I would love to regain your trust, if given the opportunity please feel free to contact me directly at anca.marginean@marriott.com if you want to further discuss your stay. Looking forward to hearing back from you. Sincerely, Anca Marginean Assistant Front Office Manager

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This hotel is amazing. At night, its so well lit with a blue neon light and shines on other hotels to show its there. I work for hotels so I am very jaded, but this hotel is amazing. The room is brand new and spotless. The view is great. NYC rooms are a bit small but packed with amenities like real K-cup coffee machines!
This is an amazing hotel. Great job!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business