“Doesn't deserve the Marriott name”

Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park
Ranked #232 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Most Marriott hotels give good to excellent service and are well run. This one doesn't deserve to be called a Marriott. There are problems on many levels. The person who checked us in was a trainee and after being patient for 10 minutes we had to ask for someone else to help complete our registration. There are no service elevators so be prepared to stop on many floors as hotel employees get on and off to do their work. Our room was remarkably small, even by NYC standards. When we were given a larger room there was no bellman available to help us move. The concierge is either non-existent or difficult to find - my wife and another guest gave up waiting for him. The front desk staff often doesn't answer phones so you have to call multiple times to get through. The in room coffee makers had no coffee. Housekeeping had not made up our room by 5:30pm when we returned after being out all day. Ice machines are not on every floor so you may need to wait for an elevator to get to a floor where there is one. There is no video check-out capability. SInce the front desk often doesn't answer phones we had no choice but to wait on line at the front desk to check out. The staff seems pleasant so this has got to be a management problem.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank KBP7

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I just returned from a short stay at the Courtyard Marriott. Needless to say, I enjoyed my mini vacation. Checking-in was a breeze. The price was good, especially for the fab location (I took advantage of the AAA discount).

The rooms are a little smaller than the average hotel room, however, it's still a nice place to stay, because the rooms are so modern. My room had a floor to ceiling window, which boasted a great view of the city.

I definitely plan to return back!

Room Tip: Make certain to get a room with a good view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We loved our stay here and it was the highlight of a long trip. The rooms are very comfortable, the bed was spacious and we asked for a great view and they put us on the 31st floor with a nice view to times square.
The bathroom was spacious and we had a very comfortable stay in the room. You can go up to the 35th floor where the gym is and go on the balcony which has great views of times square, central park and other buildings.
The location of the hotel was amazing as well, right on the doorstep of amazing restaurants, time square and central park.
I definitely recommend a stay there! we booked in on booking.com and it looked like it was on a sale so got the rooms for a very good price for the hotel and location.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thiago F
Reviewed 22 July 2014

If you are on business or there for pleasure this is a great place to stay at a reasonable rate for the city.
Usual Marriott efficiency and friendly staff .
No frills and really good internet service included. Rooms refurbished, great shower!
The 4th floor bar and computer access is not the most convivial but in this part of the city one has a more than adequate choice of watering holes.

Room Tip: Rooms are small and probably quite similar throughout.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank B271
Atena1981, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear B271,
Thank you for choosing our hotel, as we know that you have many choices of Hotels while visiting New York City. We truly appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to improve on the service that we provide to our guests. The shower is one of my favorites amenities also as well as our location which I find perfect right in the middle of everything in Manhattan.
If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at the phone number listed below.
Best regards,

ANCA MARGINEAN
Assistant Complex Front Office Manager
Courtyard and Residence Inn by Marriott Central Park anca.marginean@marriott.com
646-273-7821

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night on June 7th. This is not a typical Courtyard. It was pretty pricy for a Courtyard at $392, it was the cheapest room available. However for New York City this hotel is a gem. Staff was very efficient, especially front desk personnel Mr. Marcos Urena, he went our of his way to accommodate us, Very large room,( try to get a room ending with a 6,) and we found the linens to be fine. Room was very clean, bathroom was immaculate, bed was superb, 42" TV. We stayed on the 32nd floor and what view of Broadway we had. It's location was great (54th Street between 7th and 8th Avenue). However, it should be noted that you are 4 long blocks from Central Park. You can walk to everything and plenty of eating establishments. We did not eat at the hotel. This is a brand new hotel, only about 3 months old. It's 5 blocks from the Manhattan cruise port. The entrance of the hotel is on 54th Street and not on Broadway. I would definite stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank catalina56
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Wonderful location, small rooms but well thought out so they seem larger. Marriott service always friendly, helpful and efficient. This is a combination Courtyard and Residence Inn located is what is now the tallest hotel in NYC

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 894robertj
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is a great place to stay. Hotel is new, rooms are small, as it would be expected in NYC, but very comfortable. I read reviews about the sheets. It is true that they feel a bit stiff and that they're noisy, but I don't think that should be a deal breaker. It would have bothered me if I had paid $400 for the room, perhaps. The issue we had was with the valet service. We arrived and there was no one to greet us. I had to leave the car unattended and go inside to the front desk to call a valet. After check out, it took them 40+ minutes to retrieve our car. We had to wait outside, sitting down on the benches they have there since inside the hotel lobby there's simply no place to sit. This was a warm summer morning and everyone was smoking next to us. Very inconvenient and unpleasant. I called customer service and reported my experience and I was offered a refund for the parking fee. I think the hotel took the correct action and I thanked them for their good customer service. It is my hope that they address the valet parking issue in the future. Otherwise, great place, fabulous location, couldn't ask for more.

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kapharios
Travellers also viewed these New York City hotels
Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park
Residence Inn New York Manhattan...
#118 of 469 in New York City
Hilton Garden Inn New York/Central Park South-Midtown West
Hilton Garden Inn New York/Centr...
#216 of 469 in New York City
Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East
Courtyard New York Manhattan/Mid...
#144 of 469 in New York City
Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
Courtyard New York Manhattan/Tim...
#151 of 469 in New York City
Ameritania Hotel
Ameritania Hotel
#127 of 469 in New York City
Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square
Courtyard New York Manhattan/Tim...
#231 of 469 in New York City

Been to Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Central Park? Share your experiences!