“Great location to experience NYC”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Chelsea
Ranked #121 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Houston
“Great location to experience NYC”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The Courtyard in Chelsea is a great location. Close enough to get to Time Square with ease but far enough to not be overwhelmed by the "bright lights big city" experience. It is an updated Courtyard with the smart board, modern furnishings and the bistro dining. The elevators are small and it can be a small wait to get to and from your floor. So plan accordingly. The rooms (plus the bathroom) are updated but small compared to the typical Courtyard room. The closet is very small. It was really a very small armoire. The desk is however a good size. This courtyard is great for a couple or lone traveler but groups of four will feel cramped. Otherwise, this is good hotel for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kimborkr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 12 May 2014

In planning a Mother's Day weekend for me and my mom to come to NYC and see Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden, I had struggled to find a hotel that would be allow for easy access for walking but not be too loud with traffic or street noise. I had originally reserved a room at another hotel, but am so glad I switched my reservation to the smaller, cleaner and super-friendly Courtyard. The hotel is only about a 5 minute walk away from the Garden, but 30th street seemed like a quiet oasis compared to the bustling adjacent streets. The hotel staff, from the front desk, to the door men, maids, cafe staff and on, were incredibly friendly and always asking how we were liking our stay. The staff appeared to know many of the guests on a first-name basis - it seems that they have many repeat visitors. The hotel is directly across from a Police Station (and our room was appropriately 911) which had the added benefit of making my mother feel extra safe.

The rooms, while small, are incredibly tidy and tasteful. The linens were very nice and both nights we slept very well. If I can give any type of criticism, it would be that the bathroom could benefit greatly by having a few additional areas to hook up something to dry or offer more counter space to rest hair appliances/makeup, etc. After going for a run, there was no place to hang up clothes to dry other than where makeup bags were already hanging.

All in all, it was a perfect spot and I would happily return on a future visit. I thought the location was very good (not too far of a walk to the theater district, times square, shopping) and the value would be hard beat.

Room Tip: I'm sure that higher rooms probably are better, but we had a room on the 9th floor on the back-s...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Patricia F
Auckland
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My husband and I stayed for four nights in April - after searching the net and getting a bit confused by all the options I decided on this hotel mainly due to the location but it worked out really well for many reasons. The front of house were very helpful , the bed was fantastic and the location couldn't have been better - close to everything - 1 min from Penn station and Madison Square Garden; Not big rooms , but this is NY - a really good mid range hotel that really worked f0r us

Room Tip: The higher rooms are the quieter
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wendles4
London, UK
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I was travelling alone to a concert and I booked this hotel due to the proximity to the gig venue (4 minutes walk). It was only after I booked I realised that the pictures were only artists impressions and not actual photos - i panicked. Even though I called the hotel and was assured that they were in fact real I still had my worries and doubts - especially as the hotel did not appear on Google maps. My panic was unfounded though because on arrival at the hotel i was very pleasantly surprised - not only did it actaully exist, but it was top class and directly across the road from a NYPD station - so being on my own i had no worries about returning from the gig late at night on my own. The reception is bright and cheery with everything you could need - snack bar, concierge, comfy seating. The room was very clean and spacious - the bed was big enough to fit 3 or 4 people in comfortably. The walk in shower was super impressive, I didnt want to get out once I was in it. Overall I felt really safe and comfortable and would most definitely book the hotel again.

The staff were all really friendly and helpful and couldnt do enough for me.

The only downsides I would say is the prices in the "Cafe" they weren't cheap and it was only open for limited hours. Luckily there is a little sandwich place on the corner of the street that sells food and drink at a reasonable price and the other downside was the fact that the rooms do not supply tea bags. So if you are a true Brit like myself that loves a good old cuppa tea - i suggest you take your own or use the sandwich place on the corner.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front over look an NYPD station
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We are elite members and we booked several months in advance and requested a higher floor, no luck we received a room on the 6th floor and it was pretty loud late at night. (Street noise) the front desk and bell service was fantastic and the hotel and room were very nice. We did have to call down a few times because the cleaning staff didn't replenish the coffee, the face tissues and then the toilet tissue, soap holder in shower not cleaned(when we arrived) and sheets were torn. The staff was also very loud when working on the rooms. If they improve a bit we may stay again, still up in the air on this one. Higher floor and better cleaning service it would be a 4 star.

Room Tip: Higher floor, less noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EMSid
Carolyn F, Front Office Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you for choosing our hotel and for your loyalty to Marriott. We apologize that we failed to meet your high floor request. In addition we have used your comments as an opportunity to provide a refresh on our room servicing standards with our Housekeeping team. We hope that if future travels bring you back to New York you will give us another opportunity!

Carolyn F
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

When you go to NYC and you want to be central and move easy, difennetly you will have to stay in one of the Mariotts. There are plenty of courtyard Mariotts. The most important is to not get confused, when you looking for it. But you can expect good quality, same as in any Marriott around the world, but the prices are always high....

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Natalie B
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Just finished a good stay at the Courtyard New York Manhattan/Chelsea. Several of my comments will be similar to others, will point out a few more impressions.

Check-In = as a Marriott Platinum customer (avg about 80-100 stays a year) my reservation was for an early stay on a high floor. I had to wait about 3.5 hours for the room. Even that would have been okay, but the front desk staff was not attentive or even offer follow up throughout the afternoon. I was sitting in their lobby a few feet away but had to ask each hour or so. I do not agree with prior reviews that the front desk staff was superb. They were not rude, and okay for the amount of work they had to do, but I found others in the city at other stores and restaurants with a much higher level of friendliness and customer service.

First the Pros-
1. This was a very quiet hotel at night and highly exceeded my expectations.
2. The room, even though small as expected, was very nice with the quality Marriott bed, bathroom, etc. It was very comfortable.
3. Security was very efficient from the elevator to the room access.
4. Internet speed was fine in the room.
5. Housekeeping did a great job each day.

Cons-
1. Front desk staff discussed
2. Internet and phone access in the lobby and restaurant area was poor. This was a major problem, especially without a room to participate on conference calls and do work. I tried the guest wireless, lack of verizon access for either my phone or mi-fi.

For a quiet, clean place that is close to Madison Square Garden - you will be making the right decision.

If you need to do work, that may be an issue.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business