“Wonderful Stay/Hotel/Staff”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Chelsea
Ranked #115 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My niece and I stayed here from 5/31 to 6/7 and enjoyed our stay very much. The hotel was clean, staff went above duty to be helpful and the location was great. Since we both happened to have a stomach bug for 2 of these days, I can surely say from experience that the bed, pillows and blackout curtains were wonderful! I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Our room was in front of the Police Station but was not really bothered by the noise. There was no...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dvesp
Michael H, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Great to hear you both had a great stay at our hotel. I always love to hear the great stories of how our staff makes the stay for our guests. Thanks for sharing your experience and we look forward to a future stay in NYC.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I do a lot of business in this area of Manhattan, so first and foremost the location is excellent. Walkable from Penn Station right off Avenue of the Americas on 30th Street. This is a brand new hotel, so everything is in tip top shape. Staff were very welcoming and pleasant. This is a Courtyard and looks and feels like a Courtyard. Perfect for a business trip that feels like...well, most other well-appointed Courtyards. Thank you for the excellent service and for building a much needed hotel in the area!

Room Tip: I usually ask for a high room away from the elevator. Good quick breakfast and Starbucks in the lob...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Wolverine325
Michael H, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience about our staff and hotel. It is great to hear the positive feedback. Look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

The hotel is quite new, was told it was torn torn and built up six months ago. We encountered great service except for one very very grouchy lady at the desk. Aside from her, everyone was very nice and accommodating. It is right across from an NYPD precinct and an NYFD station is on the other side of the building so families will definitely feel very safe here. It is right around the corner from Madison Square Garden and the giant Macy's. Had a great experience, will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank lynseyb34

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel. Our location is a plus, as you experienced we have many unique buildings within a short walk of the hotel. The police station actually dates back to the early 1900's. The original police station was on the current site of the hotel. It was moved across the street in 1908 to it's current location and is a historical building built within the Tenderloin District as it was refered to. Look forward to your next trip to NYC and a return visit to our hotel.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

The first thing to set is expectations. This is not a full service hotel. There is a friendly check-in in the lobby and a small area where you can buy breakfast in the morning (do not bother as lovely places just around the corner). If this works for you as it did for me then this is a great hotel in a fantastic location. Clean, modern and very comfortable beds. Rooms on the small side for the US (as everyone points out this is normal in New York) but decent sized bathrooms. We were over from the UK for 3 nights and used this as a base for sightseeing. The hotel and its location played a key part in making for a fantastic vacation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JoeB40

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. It sounds like you had a great time while in NYC and the staff and I look forward to a future visit.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed during Memorial Day weekend. Room was very clean and neat. The front desk staff were very helpful. Just a few minutes walk from Penn Station, Herald Sq. Location made my New York visit so easy. Nice pubs and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. Location and staff service is what set's our hotel apart. Located on 30th street, we are within a short walk to Penn Station, Herald Square, Empire State Building and Chelsea. Great sightseeing, shopping and dining options are some of the best NYC has to offer. Hope your travels brings you back to NYC soon, and we are able to host you at our hotel.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

My family and I stayed here for 5 days during Memorial Day weekend. The location can't be beat as it is in the heart of Manhattan and is only a 5-minute walk from Penn Station. The staff were all courteous, the common area was inviting and spacious, the rooms were clean and comfortable, and the complimentary wi-fi was ubiquitous and fast. The hotel is also really new as it's been in business for less than a year as of this writing.

Nitpicking a bit, I asked the front desk about borrowing a spare iPhone charger as my wife had forgotten to pack hers. Unfortunately the hotel wasn't able to help out, and the Verizon store across the street charges $30 for one. And when it rained a bit during one of the days of my stay, I realized the hotel didn't have umbrella for patrons to borrow.

While I understand the premium price for this hotel ($300 a night) stems from the location rather than the level of amenities, it was nevertheless a bit disappointing for me psychologically even though I acknowledge they were under no obligation to provide those things.

The reason I decided to stay in Manhattan as opposed to somewhere further out is that my parents are in their mid-60s and very novice travelers. Staying at this hotel allowed us to return to rest mid-day to recharge for going out again in the evening.

However, if I were just traveling with my wife, I would have elected to stay closer to the airport. The trade-off of enduring a 1-hour round trip to Manhattan everyday from a remote hotel location was a over $150 saving per night. Multiply that by five nights, and the overall savings would have been well worth the extra travel time.

For those who want to stay in Manhattan, however, it is very easy for me to recommendation this place because of how new and clean it is.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Botayone

Thank you for your recent feedback about your stay at the hotel. I hope you enjoyed your time with family and if your travels bring you back to Manhattan, we would love for you to stay with us again. Also, thanks for providing the feedback, as I have shared it with the team so we can work to improve for all of our future guests.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We love this spanking new Courtyard for the location right by Penn Station, Madison Square Garden, several subway lines; for the quiet, comfortable rooms with good beds, good lighting and plenty of outlets for your devices; the reliable wifi; the coffee bar in the lobby and the gym downstairs but the real standout here is the great, friendly, efficient staff who from first greeting to last goodbye are so welcoming. This team really has it together. They seem to love their work and it shows in the smiles and the helpful attitude. A special shout out to Carolyn F, the front office manager who is gracious, resourceful and a real pro. Guy of the bell staff is a standout, too, but really, every single staff member we interacted with was top quality. We'll be back and we'll send our friends who appreciate comfort and value.

Room Tip: Floors 20 and 21 are suites and larger than the more compact rooms on the lower floors. Any room is...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bostonmarc

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. It is great to hear from our guests and all of the things they enjoyed at the hotel during the stay. It is especially important to me when a guest takes the time to recognize our associates. They all work very hard to make the guest stay special. I wanted to let you know that we have recognized these associates with an special award called - The Marriott Spirit to Serve Award. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how they made your stay special. The team and I look forward to seeing you back in NYC soon!