“Great value”

American Dream Hostel
Reviewed 14 December 2010

It's very well located in Manhattan close to about everything.

The good:
The all hostel is very clean and the people running the place are very friendly.

The bad:
Mostly related to heating (lack of heating in the bathroom's and old and hard to control heating devices in the rooms)

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 December 2010

I walked about 20 minutes to get to this hostel because I wanted to take in the views on the way. By the time I got there I was a bit tired. No problem though, because the front desk staff was very friendly, helpful and kind. My room wasn't ready yet, so he suggested I leave my luggage in the "Luggage room" and rest in the kitchen. Sounded good to me since I was tired from the long walk.

The luggage room looked like it had been remodeled recently because it was brand-spankin' new. I left my luggage there and went to the kitchen and where I was told I could help myself. I saw a jar of chocolate chip cookies and fell in love with the place. How could you not love a place that gives you free chocolate chip cookies?

The kitchen looked newly remodeled too as it was new, and cute. I relaxed with my cookie and my NYC map. In 20 minutes my room was done, and I got settled in.

I booked a private room, which had a bunk bed in a small, narrow room with a storage unit, a mirror, mini TV and sink. It was a bit narrow, and the room was all white except for the blue curtains, but I only stayed one night and felt very safe, comfortable and at ease.

The hostel has a washer and dryer which I used since I packed light. Everyone there was very conscientious about being quiet and respectful. The shower and bathroom seem to be newly remodeled too as they had new tile and paint. I was on the first floor so I don't know what the rest of the upper floors looked like.

Later that day I ran into a different staff person and he was just as friendly and helpful as the first, so it was nice to see it was not a hit-or-miss deal here.

I also ran into a mother-daughter pair who said they stayed there everytime they visited NY from Europe and this was their 7th stay. It was nice to hear that and made it feel all the more cozy.

I was happy with my stay and would recommend it anyone else.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2010

The price is right, the staff are friendly enough, the rooms, bathrooms and common areas are clean and its centrally located. Its a hostel, what are you really expecting?

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 November 2010

My partner and I stayed at American Dream Hostel last week and definitely recommend it. I was initially very nervous about choosing a hostel due to a bad past experience in the states, although have stayed at numerous hostels across Europe, but I was really impressed with this hostel. Of course it's a hostel, so it's budget, no frills, small rooms etc but it's CLEAN! The bathrooms were the cleanest of any hostel I've stayed the whole time we were there (4 nights on the 3rd floor). It is in a central location and the breakfast was fantastic. Toast, croissants, muffins, fresh fruit, cereal, pancakes etc. When researching we found NY to be so expensive in Nov (at least $200 per night plus tax for a 2 star hotel) that 110 per night for a private room (bunk beds) was much more reasonable. Apparently New York has a massive bed bug problem at the moment but we found none at this hostel. Definitely consider this hostel when visiting manhattan!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I am a 26-year-old, female, solo traveler that comes to NYC a few times a year on business. I honestly chose this hostel out of pure desperation to escape the horrible situation that I was experiencing at a disgusting, bug infested, unsafe, rudely managed hotel - The Latham Hotel (I have warned you! It's straight out of a bad scene in CSI NY!)

Anyway, I called American Dream Hostel at about 11:00pm after I found it on my map on my iPhone after I typed in "hotel". The man on the phone (I'm kicking myself for forgetting his name - the owner's son) was amazingly understanding and kind and although American Dream didn't have any openings, at the time, he said that the time for "no-shows" was at midnight and I was more than welcome to come and sit at the hostel to gamble with an opening. To my joy, midnight arrived and there were two no-shows so I was able to get a room. The owner's son was nice enough to walk me to both of the available rooms to let me pick which one I preferred.

The rooms aren't anything but ordinary but, THEY ARE CLEAN! I just read a review about American Dream that was posted about how some of the windows leading to a brick wall (like practically touching, no alley, kind of amazing actually) and that was something I found kind of humorous - it also made the room really quiet because there wasn't any outside noise. The bathrooms are also very clean, which I totally appreciate.

Another really neat thing about the hostel is that breakfast is included in your stay. It's basic breakfast but, I'm not an extravagant breakfast eater I guess...

Bottom line, I already booked a room there for October and I'm looking forward to it. If you are in need of frills, unnecessary square footage, and a private bathroom, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank ChiroKid
Reviewed 14 May 2010

This was my first visit to New York and I was unsure of where to stay, particularly as I am a female travelling on my own. I chose the American Dream Hostel as it was located in the middle of Manhattan Island and I'm so glad I did.

The location is fantastic, you within a short walk from 5th Avenue and Broadway plus you are pretty well in between the lower side and upper side of Manhattan so both are easily reachable.

The hostel is more like a B&B hotel, the only downside with this is that there are no cooking facilities but there is a great pub around the corner that does good meals for around $10. Breakfast is included with your stay and is very generous.

The rooms are not large as you would expect in New York but they are very clean and comfortable. The bathrooms are shared by all of the guests on the floor which isn't really a problem as you can use the bathrooms on other floors if yours is in use. There are security cameras visible everywhere and anyone coming in off the street will pass by the reception so you are very safe.

I would recommend the American Dream Hostel to anyone visiting New York.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Brisvegas_Boarder
Reviewed 14 July 2009

This Hostel is renovated, the pictures in this website no reflect actual facilities.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo