The Harlem Flophouse
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$206
  • Fitness centre
Hilton Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$314
US$269
US$480
US$401
SmithHotels.com
  • Restaurant
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$289
US$261
US$431
US$397
US$516
US$415
  • Room Service
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$219
US$187
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness centre
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$288
US$227
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$384
US$207
Travelocity
  • Room Service
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$112
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsflop houseshared bathroomfrederick douglassstudio museumclaw footnew yorkaffordable place to staylaguardia airportchain hoteltop floortwo blocksrooms are spaciouscentral parkradiosubwaymanhattansink
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I thought I wrote a review before but I could not find it. I am a single woman and had to go to New York for a performance/funeral. All the rooms taken but I called and left a message explaining my situation. The owner called me back when a room was cancelled!! I was so grateful and happy.

To make a long story short....I loved my STAY very much. It snowed the next day and it was not expected....the owner knew I was alone and checked on me to see was I ok. I enjoyed being left alone and at the same time the owner was friendly when he saw me. I can't wait to go back. He did a great job with the place. Thank you Rene!!!! xoxoxo

Room Tip: Basement Room
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Theo V
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I was in New York for a conference and staying at the Hilton, but had one week free to myself beforehand and chose to stay at the Harlem Flophouse. In almost every way the Flophouse was a better experience than the Hilton, despite being less than half the price!

The rooms are spacious and clean, and the beds are antique but very comfortable. The radiator heater kept the building nice and warm, even as it snowed outside. I could use the free wifi in my room without a hassle.

For a musician like me, Harlem was an absolutely fascinating place to stay and the Flophouse was the perfect base. I never felt unsafe and the people I met in the area are very friendly. I spent the last night at the Paris Blues round the corner from the Flophouse, watching an incredible jazz band burning the house down - unforgettable!

Don't think that you'll be away from the midtown action in Harlem either. The subway is just around the corner and in less than 30 minutes you can arrive at any destination in Manhattan on the A line.

After walking the length and breadth of Manhattan each day, the Harlem Flophouse became like a second home as I spent the subsequent jetlagged hours warm in bed.

Room Tip: There is some street noise in the morning, so you may want to ask for a room away from the street-side.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank cbp123
Reviewed 25 March 2013

My stay at the Harlem Flophouse was wonderful.
The rooms are sophisticated in an old fashioned way with delightfully quirky touches that brought a smile to my face. There was something interesting to enjoy wherever you looked.
A quiet and serene retreat, I so enjoyed my stay that I changed my plans and came back to stay another day.
Harlem is vibrant and alive with excellent restaurants and music venues and the buzz of the creative spirit.
This truly is a hidden gem in NYC and will thrill those who enjoy a taste of authentic NYC at it's creative best.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Matthew G
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Staying at Harlem Flophouse was like an adventure. Interior of the House is nice, can feel personal touch of the owner in every detail of the place - antique furniture, retro home textiles, fire place and special accessories all over the house. House is clean and big enough to have some privacy and silence. Since I was there in february, my favorite place of the house was guest room with it's beautiful fire place and good looking old furniture, nice music - perfect for reading, drawing or daydreaming. The owner is very interesting and nice person, who can help with good advises for alternative cultural experiences in NYC. Also the location of Flophouse is very good, just a few blocks away from metro station. I enjoyed my stay there a lot and next time I am in NYC would love to stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank IlzeMagdalena
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My friends and I were looking for an inexpensive and cozy place in the City to live in during our trip to NYC this Spring Break. Chanced upon The Harlem Flophouse when searching for a B&B and decided to book it. It costs us about $40 per night, per person, for my group of 3. For this rate, it has got to be one of the most affordable inn in city. The room was wonderful, filled with antiques and decorations seemingly from the early 40s 50s era. I was surprised some of the stuff even work at all, (the lamps, radio and stuff.) Overall, it gave a very vintage feel, one that I have never got to experience before, and I totally enjoyed my stay. The room was very welcoming and made a good shelter for our weary legs every night.

The innkeeper even assisted us in printing out our e-tickets and additional documents that we required along the way, for our trip in NYC.

Not to mention, the innkeeper's cat, Phoebe, was such a darling. Often coming up to our room (3rd floor), and looking for some company. We left our room doors slightly ajar at night to allow her access, and there she was almost every single morning we woke up, either sleeping on the comforter on the floor, or watching birds out at the window. As a cat lover and owner myself, Phoebe really made me feel more at home, and made the stay even more memorable.

Thanks Rene, for the wonderful hospitality you offered throughout my stay. Will definitely look to return for my next NYC trip again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Thelonius Monk Room throughout our stay. 3rd level shared bathroom does not have a shower head. For those who are looking to shower with a shower head, do proceed to the 2nd level's bathroom.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends