“LES and Rivington are not as great as before...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel on Rivington

Hotel on Rivington
Ranked #173 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Dublin, Ireland
“LES and Rivington are not as great as before...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I've been staying here regularly over the last 8 years and it was always one of my favourites. Sitting in the bar area looking out on the comings and goings of the LES was great - sadly they've closed that area off and moved the common area to the second floor (no bar) and this has left the place a little soul-less compared to before. The rooms and showers are still excellent though. Good sized everything and memory foam mattresses. The Lower East Side itself is turning into a tourist / bridge & tunnel trap though so beware...drunk people and smashed beer bottles where once stood the Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique...pity...

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank davefromebow
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Hi davefromebow! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel on Rivington. We really appreciate your loyalty over the years. The Lower East Side is constantly evolving and has certainly changed a lot over the past 8 years. Our ground-floor bar and restaurant Co-Op is open to the sidewalk (as well as our upstairs Lobby Lounge with Happy Hour from Noon to 6pm for guests). And with the ever-changing neighborhood has come many great new bars and restaurants like Mission Cantina, Black Crescent and Russ & Daughters Cafe.

We hope to welcome you back once again and our concierge team will keep you away from those tourist traps!

Adam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights in a corner king high floor. Fantastic place is all I can say!

Positives:
- excellent views (I was on the 18th floor then moved to the 19th due to a malfunctioning balcony door). Clear views if Williamsburg Bridge (looking East) and World Trade Center (looking Southwest)
- TV bracket on wall that swivels so u can watch tv (45 channels) from either the sitting area or from bed
- great cleaning from housekeeping with a turndown service where cookies are left bedside. Cookie flavor changes daily.
- the fridge is larger than the default hotel minibar so you can store some of your own drinks
- active hotel with restaurant and parties on the 20th floor (one floor above me) yet thankfully I heard nothing
- firm memory foam bed that made for a great sleep
- bathrobe ps and umbrellas provided in room for use (though sadly no slippers, which I value more than robes)
- medium-sized shampoo and bath gel (double the size of the default hotels' miniatures)
- THE STAFF! (See bottom)

Needs improvement:
- pillows have a slight human smell to 'em. I think they are in need of a wash.
- no in room coffee/tea maker which is a major let down tbh

Overall, great hotel and the LES is really booming with fantastic restaurants nearby that make for an excellent night out. Whole foods is a 4 min walk, Essex street market is round the corner as is Delancey street subway station (which has the J line that takes you straight to Jamaica station where you then connect to the JFK Air Train for a total of $7.50, travel time 75min).

Ordinarily a 4 star is deserved for HOR however, I can't do that without feeling guilty cause the staff are EXCELLENT! They all have this great "can do" attitude and I never once heard the word no!! Everything I wanted and needed was met with a positive attitude rather than frowned upon. It made my stay great and made up for whatever I felt was lacking. For that they deserve 5 stars and I'll give it with absolute pleasure.

Thanks for the great stay and hope to stay here again the next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: Take a high room if only for the great views esp since there are no walls but just a whole lot of gl...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Hi sleak76! Thank you so much for the excellent 5 Circle Review all the way from Kuwait City! We love to hear about our guest's experiences and it sounds like you had a stellar visit to Rivington Street. Hope you got some good pictures of the views from the top of the hotel!

A big, warm hello from the staff, thank you for mentioning us all!

Port Jefferson, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I was lucky enough to spend my wedding night at the Rivington. From the moment we arrived we felt very welcomed by every member of staff from the door men, to the reception staff, to the house keeping we met in the elevator. When I made the reservation I explained that it was our wedding night. After settling into our room, there was a knock on the door. A bottle of champagne on ice and the most delicious dessert, courtesy of the manager :)

The rooms were large for nyc rooms, and exceptionally clean. The bathroom was amazing, I want one of those baths in my house! Our favorite part of the room was the balcony and the view. We were on the 17th floor and the views of the city were awesome.

We will definitely be staying here again, and recommending it to everyone. The manager Marc Anthony has a wonderful staff that go above and beyond their duties, and helped make our wedding day unforgettable. Thank you Hotel on the Rivington!

Room Tip: Our corner king room with deep bath tub was amazing
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sara H
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Sara H! First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! And what a delightful 5 Circle Review! We are SO happy that we could add just a little bit of love to your special weekend. I will make sure to share your kind words with MarcAnthony and the rest of our team.

Hope you got some good pictures of the view!

Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I've been wanting to stay here for years because my mother grew up right around the corner on Ludlow Street. I finally had the chance for a 2 night stay.

I requested an early check-in, but they were unable to accommodate when we arrived at 1:30pm. That's fine. We decided to walk around and explore the neighborhood. The front desk told us they would call in an hour when the room was ready. When we hadn't heard by 2:45 we went back and the room still wasn't ready(checkin is at 3). We told the front desk that we would wait in the lounge area, a few feet away from the front desk. He said he would let us know when the room was ready. When we hadn't heard by 3:15 we went to the desk and our room was ready. A little annoying, but fine.

The room is the most minimalistic room I have ever seen. There is a bed, two tiny nightstands (maybe 12 inches X 24 inches) with no drawers, two club chairs and a coffee table. No desk and no dresser (dresser was actually located in the closet). So basically there is absolutely no place to put your stuff, unless you put it all away in the closet. The small nightstand was very inconvenient. It fit a book, a bottle of water and some lip balm. I like a roomy nightstand. The bathroom is also very sparse..no drawers, just a small counter top to put your things. Shower was great though...very roomy, great water pressure and plenty of hot water.

The bed was extremely comfortable and then linens were soft and smelled nice and clean. Temperature control in the room works very well. We were on the 6th floor and we heard some street noise, but nothing that disturbed us or woke us up (except the occasional horn honking right below our window).

The doormen were all amazing. Very friendly knowledgable and helpful. The front desk was hit or miss. We dealt with two different front desk people. One was awesome and one was a little snooty.

I'm not sure if I would stay here again. I do not like the logistics of the minimalistic room, but I think the location on the Lower East Side was fantastic. Lots of great restaurants within a short walk (Katz's for pastrami sandwich, Russ and Daughters for smoked fish, Sweet Button Bakery for mini desserts...).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi citygirl4616, thank you for your review! We love getting feedback from our guests, especially a seasoned traveler like yourself (48 Reviews!). It helps us in our mission to constantly improve in all ways. :) You made some great recommendations! We love Katz's Deli and Russ & Daughters. Two neighborhood stalwarts.

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you again.

Watkins Glen, NY, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Yes, you need to look out for it as no big sign announces it. And, yes, the red and black of the halls might make you think OMG. But hang onto your seat and enjoy the ride! We were greeted by the best doormen in the world! They treated us like family; not only did they remember our names, they remembered our dogs. Our room with floor to ceiling walls was lovely, outrageously clean, and even included a steam shower. We were delighted with the complimentary treats in the morning, wine in the afternoon, and cookies in the evening. Everyone at the desk was welcoming and helpful with directions and restaurant recommendations. Last, but not least, there is an awesome pool table in the lounge! Treat yourself--stay at The Rivington. We will make it our home away from home when in NYC.

Room Tip: Our corner room was large and sunny. Also, the bed was awesomely comfortable!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Eileen S
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Eileen S! What a fantastic 5 Circle Review! Thank you for taking a moment to share your lovely experience with us here on TripAdvisor. I don't like to brag BUT our doormen ARE the best! Not only is Hotel on Rivington to ensuring you have a unique, comfortable and memorable stay but we want to make sure your pets have a great stay also. :)
Thank you and we hope to host you and yours again soon!

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed for 4 nights in April at the Hotel on Rivington and I would not hesitate to recommend me to colleagues, friends and family. The Hotel is ideally located in lower east side, 1 minute walk from the subway straight to Times Square, Central Park or the WTC. Soho, which is great for evening bars or restaurants, is just a couple of blocks and a nice walk!
The staff is very helpful and always with the smile, they helped me with directions or recommendations. The rooms are spacious and very quiet (mine was on the 15th floor with an amazing view over NYC!).
If you go to NYC for business or for leisure, do not hesitate to try that hotel...
The breakfast area is cool and propose different possibilities. You have free drinks in the hotel lounge and the penthouse area on the roof is amazing. Grocery just next door as well as plenty of nice bars & restaurants!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank laurent066
Hi laurent066! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a nice 5 Circle Review! We enjoyed having you stay with us and are so happy that you had a great time. Sounds like you were busy during your stay, from the WTC to Central Park and everywhere in between. Glad that we were your "home base" and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Isla de Vieques, Puerto Rico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Finding the hotel was problematic - no signage above door and entering this was akin to entering a cave. Décor of black and red in hallways and black bathrooms made me wonder if they renting by the hour. This is the first time I have had a $200 hold on my credit card for the bar even though I had prepaid the room. The faux fur throws on the coaches made me make a mental note to pack my uv light for inspection on future check ins.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trek_doc_12
Hello Trek_doc_12, we appreciate your review, guest feedback is always a valuable tool. Hotel on Rivington is proud of our unique design in the crowded luxury lifestyle hotel market in New York City. The white cave-like structure is informally dubbed “the egg-trance” - an actual art installation that extends from the ground floor lobby entrance into our adjacent bar and lounge.
Even the custom mosaic design of the Bizazza tile and wall treatments have been copywritten by Marcel Wanders studio. A natural fit to the eclectic and inspiring Lower East Side.
The credit card holds are an opportunity to establish a line of credit so you can easily charge services to your guest room.
Thank you for your review and best wishes,