Hotel on Rivington
The Watson Hotel(New York City)
US$208
US$175
  • Pool
Grand Hyatt New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$295
  • Restaurant
The Westin New York at Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$382
US$297
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$223
US$203
Triumph Hotels
  • Fitness centre
Omni Berkshire Place(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$266
US$255
Omni Hotels
  • Room Service
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$257
US$218
  • Bar/Lounge
Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$348
Hampton.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Fitness centre
Warwick New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$410
US$230
Travelocity
  • Room Service
Hotel Mela(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$228
US$189
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Pod 51 Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$223
US$216
Travelocity
1,446 results
All reviewslower east sidefloor to ceiling windowssoaking tubcorner kingwilliamsburg bridgehigh floornew yorkmemory foamcomplimentary winebars and restaurantstrendy hotelthe penthouseturn down servicemini barfreedom toweraround the cornergreat neighborhood
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Just spent 3 awesome days at this hotel....
On my previous stay in NY I was located in Midtown near the tourist attractions, so was a little concerned when my hubby suggested about staying in the Lower East Side as I had heard a few stories.... but concerns unfounded, the area is not unlike my native East London.. Lots of interesting and individual bars & restaurants... and the area felt safe to walk around day & night..
The hotel itself was just brilliant, totally individual, and the staff were very friendly & helpful - especially the guys on door security - a big thanks to Lester on the door who gave me some really helpful hints for the subway.... also our cleaner (sorry didnt catch her name) but who kept the room spotless...
The room itself was a good size, with sofa & table, also a small desk to work from, bathroom was amazing, loved the view over the city from the shower and bedroom windows - could see the brooklyn bridge, Freedom tower in distance and also the local neighbour - got some great photo's at dusk and night - but was glad I was on the 19th Floor so no-one could look back in :-) the large japanese tub was also great...
No tea or coffee in room, but we had a great mini bar and there was free coffee/tea, water, fruit & wine available throughout the day in lounge beside reception.
Would definitely recommend to anyone looking to experience the real New York - its people, its culture - although the 'tourist' New York is still only a couple of stops on the Subway... Would most definately return to this hotel & area.

Room Tip: Definately go for the higher floors for views and benefits of the bathrooms with views, I guess also the area is busy so could get noise from street level on lower floors.
1  Thank DebbieT4
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Hi DebbieT4! Thank you for your stellar 5 Circle Review here on TripAdvisor. So glad to hear that you and your hubby had such a great time at Hotel on Rivington. I'll make sure to tell Lester that you appreciated his insight as well as the rest of the staff. We pride ourselves on excellent, individual service and strive to make every guest's experience an amazing and memorable one.

We hope to host you again in the future!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The Hotel on Rivington is a stylish, high-design hotel with outstanding service, large rooms, and a surrounding neighborhood filled with interesting restaurants and bars. There are some annoying minuses which made me lean toward rating it a 4, but in the end I think I'll probably be coming back again.

I'm a business traveler and tend to come to NYC for long visits (2 weeks), so my needs are not really the same as the Hotel on Rivington's target customer. The hotel is high-design and oriented toward younger tourists and couples having a romantic get-away. Generally the hallways are dark and moody, the restaurant and room service specialize in tapas and bar food, and the in-room minibar includes a huge range of alcohols plus lube and sex toys.

However, it has some great pluses for me doing an extended stay. The room was surprisingly large with lots of closet space and room to spread out. It is also very close to the F subway and there are a tremendous variety of restaurants at all price points around the hotel. The rooms also includes a safe and the wifi is free (although mediocre). The biggest plus, though, is that the staff was universally extremely friendly.

On the negative side, the biggest one is that the door has no peephole! I was shocked about this, because even in small towns the peephole is the norm for safety, and you'd imagine that in NYC that this would be absolutely necessary. For this reason, I'd not recommend the hotel for women traveling alone or anyone particularly concerned about personal safety.

Other negatives include the fact that the room has no desk, few outlets, and no coffee maker. The mattress and pillows were all too soft and not very comfortable. One other annoyance is that the room service menu is so oriented toward bar food and appetizers that it's not really suitable for regular diners. Fortunately there is lots of food in the surrounding neighborhood, but it would have been nice to have a better in-room option.

All in all I will likely be coming back on future business trips, but I definitely wish some of these annoying details could be fixed.

Room Tip: The rooms have no peepholes and the showers have windows, so this is not really a hotel for people concerned about personal safety or privacy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Hello Reason_SF! Thank you so much for your 5 Circle Review here on TripAdvisor. We really appreciate your feedback and I will certainly bring up your concerns in our weekly meeting. So happy that you have enjoyed your experience at Hotel on Rivington and your kind words about our staff really make us feel great!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Lower East Side.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

My wife and I just completed our second stay at the Hotel on Rivington. Both times we decided to try the Unique Rooms, and have stayed in the room with the large shower (with the tub in the middle) as well at the room with the North-facing terrace. The views from these rooms can't be beat. The hotel itself is really cool, with a pool table and lounge just off the lobby. In the afternoon, there is complimentary wine for guests, as well as coffee in the mornings. The staff was very friendly as well. The rooms and the views are incredible and the hotels proximity to the heartbeat of the Lower East Side just means your have a hard time deciding where to explore. Some recommendations from our stay (out of the hotel) for food are: Hearth, Cherche Midi, and for late-night - the Falafel place just a block east of the hotel. For activities, the Essex Market is cool, as was the Tenement Museum. If you've never been to NYC, avoid Times Square Hotels and come stay in this quaint neighborhood.

Room Tip: In NYC, obviously higher is better (and probably quieter). There isn't a bad view since there are great landmarks to see North, South, East and West. Haven't stayed on lower floors, though.
1  Thank dmjfoto13
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Hello dmjfoto13! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience (and recommendations!) with us here on TripAdvisor! We are very proud to earn your 5 Circle Review. Our Unique Room category offers amazing views and the bathroom with the steam shower and tub in the middle is a "crown jewel" of the Lower East Side. :) Our neighborhood certainly is a vibrant hub of art, leisure, food and of course New Yorkers! Glad you agree!
That falafel place is called Wolf Nights and YES they are amazing AND just got a brand-new mural commemorating the 25th anniversary of the Beastie Boys album cover art of the former Paul's Boutique by Brooklyn native, Danielle Mastrion. Now THAT's the real New York scoop!

Thanks again for staying with us!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My husband's company has been using this hotel when he travels to NY on business. Recently, we tagged along for the experience. This hotel is situated in a part of the city that I'm not used to staying in, so I loved having the opportunity to visit a new part of town. There are fabulous restaurants around (Spoon on 2nd Street, and Essex House), and my boys LOVED the pool table in the lobby. More importantly, I left a very valuable ring and earrings behind in the safe and only a week later realized my error. Fortunately, they were still in the safe, and the hotel quickly found them and FedEx'ed them to me. This speaks volumes about the hotel staff, and I would recommend this hotel highly. It's a boutique hotel so the rooms are ostentatious, but nicely decorated and cozy. The shower was amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: We did find the room loud on Saturday night (it's a very trendy neighborhood), but the rest of our stay was quiet!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hi Angela H! Thank you so much for the lovely 5 Circle Review! We absolutely love hearing from our guests and are so happy you enjoyed Hotel on Rivington and the Lower East Side. We place a premium on staying competitive and providing excellent value for our guests. Glad to hear your boys enjoyed the vintage billiards table in the Lobby Lounge!

Looking forward to welcoming you and family back anytime!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Though I often travel is to global business centers, it's been 20 years since I enjoyed the opportunity to stay at a hotel in my home town of NYC. My wife was taking a class on the LES and we picked Hotel Rivington for proximity and value. Yes, I had concerns about staying at a boutique hotel where other reviewers commented they felt less-than-welcomed because they weren't "hip." That was DEFINTIELY not our experience. Everyone from the doormen to the desk clerks to the restaurant staff to the management made us feel very appreciated for coming. A special shout-out to Khalif at the front desk, whose enthusiasm and desire to make us feel welcome got the stay off to a great start. And yes, the LES is a great people watching neighborhood.

Balconies are small, but we enjoyed sitting out and watching the sunset with a glass of wine. If you're not above the roofline, say the 10th floor, then it may make sense to get a basic room. But, as others note, the views from high rooms are excellent. Though not a big deal, bathroom amenities were top notch. Soaker tub was very romantic - there's a Duane Reade drugstore around the corner if you forget bath salts.

Lots of restaurants in the neighborhood. We walked 10 minutes to SoHo to enjoy the mind-blowing grilled corn at Cafe Habana. Breakfast was in the hotel's co-op restaurant: well made and quickly served.

I try to fight grade inflation, so I'd say cleanliness was average; that is, the room was quite clean. Overall, the property merits 5 stars for value, given location, ambiance and price.

Room Tip: A south east High Floor Corner King with balcony and soaker tub was preferred to the Unique Room without those amenities and less enchanting view. If possible, ask to see rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Hello intlbnkr! Wow what a stellar 5 Circle Review! We are very proud to be recognized with such kind words. Don't get me worng, we ARE hip. But you know what? It's hip to be nice, welcoming and willing to provide excellent service for our guests. :) Being an independent property we love going the extra mile and giving a personal touch to our brand of service.
Next time you visit, you should consider our "Bath Package" which includes some amazing bath "fizzies" and some other romantic perks. The bathroom amenities are by Davines! We love their luxurious (and over-sized!) products.
Thanks again for the 5 Circle shout-out!