“Tasty Traditional Italian but Spotty Service”
Review of San Martin Restaurant - CLOSED

San Martin Restaurant
Price range: US$40 - US$80
Cuisines: French, Italian, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This restaurant is in the heart of many hotels which probably makes it a popular stop for tourists. I asked our concierge about it and she said it was one of the places she recommended to her guests with families and she made us a reservation. I don't think they had a separate kids menu, because they didn't offer it, but we got a dish the kids could split.

We were pleased with our initial greetings and received bread quickly and ordered wine. Consistent with many places we went to while visiting the city, the wait staff was short on niceties and banter and just waited for your order. We ordered a salad to share and received serving utensils but no plates.

We ordered spaghetti and meatballs, the eggplant and the veal limone, which we were told came with roasted potatoes and vegetables; however it came with generic mashed potatoes.

The food was definitely good. After we were served our food, our waiter didn't come back again, to check on us, offer coffee, dessert, etc. It's funny, because the restaurant was crowded and you would think they would want to turn the table, but we were left sitting unattended for quite a while, after which time we did flag the manager down and said we wanted to order dessert.

So, the food was closer to a 4 and the service was closer to a 1, so I rounded up to 3 stars to give them the benefit of the doubt. I argue that I would rather have great service and an average meal over a good meal and crappy service. Others disagree but I think good service enhances the experience.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Every time we visit NYC we eat at San Martin Restaurant. It is a family restaurant, with great service and good food. It is reasonable for NYC and the food is consistent. They have a good size menu. We usually go for Italian and have always been pleased. Great place to take the family. The servers are very nice. We arrived at around 7 p.m. and were seated right away but noticed that by 8 p.m. is was quite full.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

San Martin was right next door to our hotel (Best Western Hospitality House). Food was excellent and of good quality. Staff were welcoming and friendly. Whilst the restaurant is not big, it had a good buzz and was clearly very popular.We went there on our first night in New York on a Friday night at 7.30 and got the last table! We liked it so much we went back again just before we left.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

This charming place was just across the road from the Waldorf Astoria where we were staying. The place is quite homely, with a mixture of regular tables and typical diner-style booths - all very retro.

The service is informal and friendly, and what you would expect from a place like this.

The food is brilliant. The Ravioli Fungi was amazing, and we also had Gnocchi Arribiata (wasn't on the menu) which was wonderfully heavy on the garlic, as it should be.

The only blip was the Tiramisu - it was great but it was rather spoilt by too much chocolate sauce - go easy on it guys.

I would thoroughly recommend a visit.

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

This is a nice restaurant. My boyfriend and I went here on our last night in NYC. Our hotel recommended this place and I absolutely loved the food. The mussels were amazing and my entrée was just as delicious. I definitely recommend this restaurant if your around the Midtown Manhattan area. Service was nice as well, they sang Happy Birthday to my babez and made us feel welcomed.