“Rude staff, pretty good food when they got it right.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of L' Allegria - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
L' Allegria
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: 44th Street
Transit: A, C , E , N, W, R, Q, 1, 9, 7, trains to 42nd Street.
Description: L'ALLEGRIA RESTAURANT IS RUSTIC AND HOMEY ITALIAN RESTAURANT ON THE CORNER OF 44TH STREET AND 9TH AVE IN THE HEART OF THE TIME SQUARE AND THE THEATRE DISTRICT. WE HAVE BEEN STANDARD ON 9TH AVE FOR OVER 17 YEARS OFFERING DELICIOUS HOME MADE PASTAS, MEAT, CHICKEN,FISH AND FINALLY HOME MADE BRICK OVEN FUCCACIA AND DESSERT. THIS IS THE PERFECT SPOT TO DINE BEFORE OR EVEN AFTER THE THEATER. FROM THE ALA CART MENU WE OFFER $10.00 CASH VALUE DISCOUNT IF YOUR CHECK ON FOOD AND DRINKS TOTAL $60.00 AND WE OFFER $20.00 CASH VALUE IF YOUR CHECK IS $100.00 OR MORE AVAILABLE SUNDAY TO THURSDAY AND FROM 8 PM TO CLOSING FRIDAY AND SATURDAY. WE ALSO PROMISE A VERY GOOD QUALITY DINNER. SEE YOU AND ENJOY YOUR TIME :)
“Rude staff, pretty good food when they got it right.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

Walked in to a fairly quiet restaurant but it was late so didn't worry too much and it was on 9th Avenue which usually guarantees you something decent. Staff were fairly cold towards us but we didn't worry too much. Ordered from the set menu. Generally the food was good. 10oz steak came as one of the entree options. Very Different sized steaks came out so we sent them back to be changed. None of the steaks were cooked to the request, no where close. One plate then had to be sent back a second time for cold fries. The two servers sat down on their phones and eating and we continually had to ask for water, wine, for plates to be cleared etc. I asked for the bill, it came and I asked that they consider a discount to the bill due to the problems with the food and that we all had to eat our meals at separate times due to food being sent back. The server said no. I asked her to speak to the manager, she did this by phone then offered a $3 discount. I said I didn't think this was enough. She told me that was it and I'd just have to pay. I started to explain my reasons to her and she said if I wanted to speak to the manager then I could speak to him on.the phone. I said that I didn't feel it was very good customer service; she said "it's not my restaurant". I then replied but I'm the customer. Hasten to add we left no tip and I've taken the details to write to the manager. Having eaten out in NYC a lot this is absolutely not the service you'd expect from this great city. Avoid and go somewhere else. I recommend Chelsea Grill just up the road.

• Visited August 2013

Canberra, Australia
“Not sure how this can be classed as Italian”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Sunday night in Manhattan, and based on the friendly greeting by the person perched outside to attract clientele, hubby and I chose a set menu for $26 each.

To start we ordered the 'classic Caesar salad' which arrived,served by the first surly waiter, dark green leaves, powdered Parmesan and no dressing that was discernible. 2 sad croutons were nestled underneath, obviously carefully counted out in the kitchen. Toward the end of this less than inspiring course, our waiter came by and sullenly handed us a basket of pizza base slices, with a balsamic and olive oil dipping sauce. By far this was the most edible option of the night and given the paucity of the ingredients really couldn't be stuffed up.

For main (or what is labelled entree in the States) we both decided on the chicken and mushrooms in a Marsala sauce. Aside from the overwhelmingly saltiness of the dish, we were unable to discern any hint of the sweet fortified Italian wine anywhere near the dish. The overlooked beans and 2 sad remnants of potato were the accompaniments. The aftertaste was frankly rank and neither of us took pleasure in trying to digest a dish so removed from Italy. As we were eating, a number of kitchen staff congregated within view, none who looked remotely native to Italy. The 2 female wait staff were inattentive and as we were waiting for our bill (asked for desperately to escape the poor service and food quality), they engaged in a verbal confrontation.

The included desert, an 'authentic cheesecake' was I guess the best that Sara Lee could produce for the price. Drizzled with a low cost chocolate topping they may as well have lest it in the cardboard box.

Once the waitresses had finished round whatever of their arguing our bill was literally thrown at us. Imagine our surprise to see the gratuity included despite the completely abysmal service. We were seated near the open doors to the street and the smell of garbage just added to the abysmal experience.

I suppose the collection of Indian elephants as decoration should have alerted us to the authenticity of the establishment. Add in the food splattered condiment containers to the smell and awful flavours of the meal, to make a culinary and service failure. Manhattan has a wealth of foodie choices, from street vendors up to classy restaurants; I urge you to try them all before considering wasting your wallet and palette on this sub-standard venue.

• Visited August 2013
Minto
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice atmosphere. Customer service improvements needed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

The atmosphere and location were great. The food was somewhat above average. The wait staff was friendly, but the gentlemen who came around to fill our water glasses and remove our plates, etc. was a total crab. Did not speak to us at all, did not respond when we spoke to him, and he did not smile once. He shouldn't have customer contact. It brings the overall customer experience down.

Visited July 2013
Milano, Italia
“Kind only at the entrance”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

I was not expecting this restaurant to be a good Italian one, not even to actually be Italian. We stopped by because they had a convenient special menu and the guy outside of the restaurant was quite friendly and kind. The same cannot be said for the waitresses who immediately warned us about all the things we could not have from the regular menu very impolitely.
We had a decent salad, overcooked, overdressed pasta, a microscopic bad cooked sirloin, and a tiny and average cheesecake (the only dessert available). Do not remember if 30 or 40 bucks each, but I do remember 27% gratuity! I do not even know if legal, I know for sure I will never get back there!

• Visited June 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“don't expect great food here - but quite good value for the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

It seems that they try to attract many tourists with special menus (e.g. 3 course menu for a bit over 20 bucks). A guy outside is even trying to get people that walk by to get it. So I was a bit suspicious about that and was not sure at the beginning. We ordered each one of this special courses. Salad was OK - nothing special, but good. Pasta was also quite good, but again: nothing special. They served a small cheesecake for dessert - same story (nothing special).
Staff was friendly and quite attentive.
Location is not special.
Good place to eat something quickly if you don't want to spend a lot of money but also don't have very high expectations.

• Visited July 2013