“Very pleasant”

Ranked #3,421 of 13,548 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Bar, Italian, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very pleasant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

We were looking for somewhere different for dinner on the UES -- nothing special or expensive, just not another Chinese restaurant (much as we love them). We had passed Beach Café many times over the years and decided to try it. The other reviews have pretty well captured it: a pleasant neighborhood spot with a good range of food and generally good service. We did have to make a small effort to get our waiter's attention once or twice, but that was our only negative. Every single staff member was friendly. The food was exactly as you'd want at a neighborhood place: tasty with no surprises. They also score very well on one of my personal measures of service: my water glass was refilled regularly. :) We live just far enough away that we won't be dropping by on a regular basis, but we will definitely be back.

• Visited December 2013

nyc
“A neighbourhood place, with 'girlfriend lunches' and elderly couples the day I went”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

A nice enough place and even nicer given the neighbourhood is a construction zone due to the 2ave Subway. Nice decor, but has the feel of a little bit of 'faded glory'. Burger was just fine. Beer nice and cold.

New York City, New York
“Always a good neighbor - hidden by Second Avenue Subway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Chicken Parm, Cobb Salads, nice big portions and drinks. I've been going to The Beach for over 20 years and was delighted to be greeted by the same management. Bravo!
I know the Second Avenue Subway makes business hard - so I was thrilled to have such a fun dinner, quietly, with my 5 pals, in the corner. Our fear is we would become loud after the third glass of wine but all ended well.

• Visited September 2013
Tallahassee, Florida
“Food over Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

This is my second review of the Beach Cafe. My first was written last July and I was definitely trying to give them support through their trials with the subway construction.

The subway construction continues but as slacked off so much that I don't see how you would even know except for the big obstruction on 2nd Avenue. Accessibility to the restaurant is unimpeded.

We were a party of 7 and got a nice round corner table near the window. I felt like the menu had fewer items on it but everyone was able to find something to eat. I heard no complaints. My Orecchietta With Shrimp was quite good.

The service definitely was not the same. I think three different individuals attended to the table and none spoke English clearly. One even had trouble understanding that I wanted the giant oil/vinegar bottles removed from the table.

• Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
“Charming neighborhood cafe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

The Beach Cafe is an easy place to get a burger, fries pizza or salad. The staff is by nice, and on a hot afternoon, they keep the AC cranked high.

They offer all the items you would expect from a beach themed restaurant, and the food is good, the prices extremely reasonable and the glass of iced tea endless. It's a nice reminder of how a simple concept with good execution can offer lasting value.

• Visited July 2013