“Good food, lot's selection, value for your money”
Review of Ichiumi

Ichiumi
Ranked #1,233 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
“Good food, lot's selection, value for your money”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Japanese food restaurant which all you can eat. Even the taste is not for everyone but me & my wife loved it. Very good value for your money because so many selection from appetizer, soup, main course or even dessert. There no time limit to enjoy their food so you can eat till your stomach full and can't eat anymore. Love their sushi selection and they have little lobster beside crabs legs & fish.

• Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kingston, NY
“Lots of food, average quality bordering on disapointment”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Years ago the property was a Todai Restaurant. I happened to be taking a walk, recognized the place and went in. The nice gentleman at the door told me the owners were the same so I decided to give it a try. Let's start with the good. It is a buffet so you can eat all you want. The $31 price for a Japanese-like food dinner buffet is very reasonable for NYC. The staff is pleasant and professional and the big glass of Kirin draft beer was very cold and a steal at only $5. The sushi is plentiful and the selection is terrific. The raw tuna was also very good as were some of the other sashimi offerings. Some of the chicken dishes were also very good. Now for the not so good. The baked fish, be it pollock or any of the other offerings were tasteless and even mushy bordering on the inedible; I did not get sick but after eating them I got that funny feeling that maybe I had made a mistake. The grilled tuna was extremely dry as well as tasteless. There is a yakitori grill like station almost in the center of the buffet line that was always near empty during the two hours I was there. The only thing I manage to get was grilled tofu. And talking about tofu, I tried at least three different versions and granted, tofu is tasteless which is the beauty of it since it can absorb flavors with ease. Their's were lame at best. Then there is the raw oyster and clam offerings, or should I say, lack of offering. I went by time and time again only to find only ice and a little sign saying that you should only take three of each at the time...I should have been so lucky! The raw oysters and clams were nowhere to be found and I felt cheated. Which brings me to another point. In the Todai days, the food trays were always full or half full and you never saw an empty tray....guess those were the good old days because there were plenty of empty food trays in the buffet line here. Felt cheated again. Finally the desserts. The choice is generous but the quality is hit or miss. I tasted a crème brulee that was grainy; this is new to me. In all fairness, some desserts were good, but there were a good number of the creamy cake like desserts that were also gritty and that's not a good thing. Finally there is the flan. Being Latino I grew up eating flan and can say without doubt that Ichiumi's version is less than authentic. Kudos to them for trying but if you want to serve flan may I suggest they make some out of a box of Goya and that will provide a pretty good version of the real thing. All things considered if what you want is lots of food for a fairly reasonable price, Ichiumi is the place for you. Otherwise you may be disappointed like I was. With so many excellent food offerings in NYC I tend to be less than tolerant with less than memorable meals. I don't think I'll be returning to Ichiumi.

• Visited June 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved. It.”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I loved it. Love, love, loved it. Went for the lunch buffet and the $20 I spent there were the most memorable of my entire trip. The variety of sushi (vegan, vegetarian, everything), warm dishes, cold dishes, dumplings. Writing about it gives me cravings again. It had everything. It was like heaven on earth. If I could have a last supper, it would be there. This is a buffet style restaurant of a whole new level. The quality was so high - never too much laying under the lamps for too long, small portions to keep the food fresh. Couldn't stop eating (so I didn't) and had my friends had to roll me back to the hotel. It was that good.
When I get to NYC - this will be the first place I will eat.

• Visited February 2014
Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
“Lots of food for your money”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Huge selection or Japanese food. All different sorts of Sushi, although nothing too unusual, pretty standard maki, nigiri and sushimi. A range of different oysters were available, yakitori, Japanese pickles and salads. Lots of choice on the hot food front also, all pretty good including crabs legs and crawfish, tempura vegetables and katsu. I couldn't find the steamed gyoza at first as they are in the steamer on the dessert side of the room, and when I did it was empty. I tried to find someone to ask for more, but I gave up. I also saw people with whole lobster but not sure whether that was included, I didn't see mention of it anywhere. Desserts are included but by the time we were ready for it the selection was a little depleted. We did have freshly made crepes though which were ok. The pot wash guys are rushing up and down the restaurant with dirty plates and one of them rammed his trolley into my ankle, so I wasn't too happy about that. Overall we left feeling very full and I had tried things I normally wouldn't order. And as there is no time limit you can just take it easy and eat your way through everything and. Plus it's great value.

• Visited May 2014
skopje
“best asian seafood”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Big restoran with great food choices. Everything I tried was delicious (fish, squid, salads, appetizers).
35usd per person and you can eat as much as you like.
During the week you do not have to make a reservation but for Friday and Saturday must have reservation otherwise waiting is between 40min - 1 hour. Reservation is for minimum 5 people.

• Visited May 2014