“Service was as bad as food was good” 1 of 5 bubbles

Neighbourhood: West Village
Cross street: Between Bleecker St & W12th St
Transit: Subway A,C,E : 8th Ave/14th St
Woods Hole, Massachusetts
“Service was as bad as food was good”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

The food was great, absolutely great. The service left quite a bit to be desired.
Maybe it was a bad night? I doubt it though. Don't try to call, as we saw them hang the phone up at least 20 times it rang during our dinner.

We were seated around 7:10. It took 10 minutes for them to acknowledge us.Then, it took another 10 minutes to get bread. They served appetizers over back of bench. It was absurd. They quickly cleared the appetizers after we were done, but asked us to keep our knifes. Most places would take the knife on the plate and bring a new one. They served main courses quickly.

To be clear, we ordered four main courses for four people, appetizers, and salads.
This is when things got weird. They picked up main course and asked us what we wanted for dessert immediately. We didn't even have dessert menus yet. They brought us menus and we asked for a moment to decide. Our main courses were cleared less than 2 minutes prior.

Less than a minute late a different person came up and asked again what we wanted. We asked for a minute to discuss since we hadn't even had five minutes since our plates were cleared.
Then, they brought us the check. I flagged waitress to return check assuming it was an honest mistake, since we wanted dessert. Their flour less chocolate cake sounded delicious.

The waitress told me there had not been a mistake and she told us they need the table and we need to leave. She said they were busy. It had been less than 45 minutes since we were seated.
I then asked to talk to the manager or chef and the waitress flippantly walked away, and scoffed at my asking for the chef.

A young woman came over and identified herself as the manager, and explained that they were busy and needed the table. I told her it was rude. They just cleared the table a few minutes ago and we just needed a minute to be ready for dessert.

She then went on to explain that this is what the owner wants and she would be fired if she didn't ask us to leave. What? Are you kidding? I have never been treated like that in a restaurant. We spent about $90 without dessert, and were planning on getting two more desserts, some wine, and cappuccino.

This was among the worst service I have ever received in a restaurant. Ever.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank SunshineStateGuy1776

NYC
“Great food, fun staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I ate here for the first time this past weekend and enjoyed the experience. The restaurant doesn't look like much from the outside, but it's a cute place with friendly staff. We had fish and chicken, both which were pretty good. The food was all reasonably priced. I enjoyed sitting by the window but think the experience would have been a lot better if there weren't two globes posed right in the middle of the view. I understand the global theme, but when you have a large window looking out into the West Village, as a diner I would much rather see the Village rather than stare into a globe.

I plan on going back, I enjoyed the food and service.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank NYCtraveler33Nyc
New York
“Delicious Italian in the West Village”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Everything we had was excellent - even the warm bread that we dipped in olive oil. The black and white pasta with shrimp was amazing and cooked perfectly. This is a fun, cozy little place with good prices. Highly recommended.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank cathie_t
Woodstock, New York
“Good, inexpensive Italian food - great bargain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

A great bargain in w. village. Ambiance is a bit odd at times but a great bargain.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank willysjeep
Newbury Park, California
“Old World Italian”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I went here with some friends and we had the antipasto platter, shrimp with fava beans, brussetta, and grilled vegetables all of which were good. The old world vibe made me feel like I was in Italy. Small and cozy.

• Visited April 2012