“Absolutely Brilliant - The Music is AWESOME”
Review of Cafe Wha?

Private Greenwich Village Tour
Ranked #15 of 864 Nightlife in New York City
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Absolutely Brilliant - The Music is AWESOME”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This place came highly recommended to me from some friends. I have to say that each time I have gone past it I have been unimpressed by the "cover on the book". However, once you go inside you quickly understand why people love this place. We saw the house bad who played jazz, blues, reggae, alternative, folk and Latin music. Each genre was outstanding and the band could compete with any group that specialized in only one genre.

All I have to say is if you like live music, this is a must stop in NYC.

Visited March 2014

Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A New York favourite”
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

I have visited cafe wha during two visits to NYC and loved it both times. It has a great atmosphere that doesn't feel too touristy and the band are brilliant. They have lots of different people singing throughout the night so there is something for everyone. My favourite bar in New York by a mile!

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Lisa H
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great Music!”
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Have been here twice. Can't wait to go back!
I would definitely recommend making a reservation and arriving a little early especially if you are going on a weekend night. I have been on a slower night and a Saturday night. Saturday was quite packed so you need to get there early even with a reservation.
I did not eat dinner either time but there was a decent selection on the menu and a larger party close to us ordered a lot and it looked good. There is a great drink menu with a full bar in addition to what is on the menu.
The music was AMAZING! The first time I went was a quiet night and there was a different band. They were all amazing and the lead female singer was a gross between Adelle and Janis Joplin. We only planned on staying for a set or two and stayed the full four hours. We just could not leave and miss a minute. The second time was the house band and there were about 5 different people to step up to the mic. They took recommendations and knew almost everything. So exciting. I would absolutely recommend Cafe Wha? to anyone!
There is a small reservation fee with reasonable food and drink prices. Especially since you are in Manhattan. I know there are so many options but Cafe Wha? is so worth the trip.

2 Thank LetsGo927
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great New York Experience”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We decided to go after reading great reviews on Trip Adviser.Ended up being one of the highlights of the holiday.Travelling with older teenagers we were delighted they were welcome. Food was good value-helpings big,drink reasonably priced,atmosphere great and house band fantastic. Will definitely recommend to others and return if ever back in New York.

1 Thank JULESDAG
Oxford
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great night out, highly recommend it!”
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We have just come back from New York and went to Cafe Wha on recommendation from a friend. Aside from a few issues (in depth review below) we had an excellent night! The compare was great and the comedian very funny. The band were superb and our waiter Rick was very attentive.

Now for the negatives...
We made a reservation for 9:30 and it said the doors opened at 8:30. We arrived at 9:00 and had to queue outside for a while. Turns out that most of the other people had made reservations also but you have to wait while they get everyone to their tables. Eventually we were taken in and lead to our table, unfortunately we were stuck right in the corner were we had no room to move and my husband had his back to the band. This is clearly because they try to ram in as many tables as possible.. A bit greedy I feel! So my advice would be to get there at 8:30 to get a good table!
We were told that it was mandatory that we check our coats in to the cloak room which we cued for ages to do - I would strongly advise that you try not to do this! Not only did we have to cue ages to put it in, it took well over half an hour for people to get them back! It was an absolute nightmare! They had just chucked them in all over the place so had no idea where anyone's were! Luckily we paid to stay for the second set so we just carried on drinking and by the time we left there weren't many left so they found them fairly easily.
Please don't let the negatives put you off though as this really did turn out to be a great night for us!

1 Thank TanR