“Really nice comedy club”
Review of Gotham Comedy Club

Gotham Comedy Club
Ranked #11 of 146 Fun & Games in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Leading comedy club and host to top talent.
California
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“Really nice comedy club”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We paid $15 per person plus a 2 item minimum to see 4 comics. I thought this was a great deal. The club is very clean and nice, the staff are all very friendly, and the drinks are strong. The comics were very good, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I definitely recommend this as a fun night while in the city.

1 Thank Kelly V

York
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Quite funny; but a questionable seating policy”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We did find the comedians funny overall, although we grew weary of the constant pressure to whoop and clap because it was being televised. I think it would have been more enjoyable without the instructions.

Also as an admittedly middle aged couple it was completely obvious that the seating was allocated to put only young and trendy people at the front. It was clear as another couple "like us" were almost first in the queue and we were about 5th but both of us were allocated seats that were out of view of tv cameras. Now, I realise that the young and beautiful make good tv but it is ironic that most of the comedy had a thread of celebrating (ethnic) diversity but yet the programme would have given a very uni-dimensional and non-diverse impression: that comedy is just for the young Hmm.....

We found the food v expensive and very poor and the drinks expensive too. All in all, as visitors from England it was a good experience, but would not rush back. And maybe the management should consider their seating policy.

3 Thank YorkYorkiegirl
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Waste of money”
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

Went to club on "all-star night." The master of ceremony was fairly funny, but most of the acts struggled. The headliner, Yannis, was absolutely horrible. I don't understand how the club doesn't properly "vet" the acts. Half of the audience was uncomfortable during his act. Don't waste your money.

1 Thank EyeGuyGeorgia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“I'm still laughing”
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We didn't know what to expect, but we loved this. We went to the early 8:30 show on a Friday night and the 3 comedians were all funny but the headliner was hilarious. The MC was also really great and extremely funny. It is a small venue so all of the seating is great. We did buy our tickets on line the day of the show and we got there around 7:50 so got great seats. Seats aren't assigned with your ticket but are assigned when you get there. We didn't order food since we had dinner before we went, we just had a couple of drinks during the show. The place itself is very nice, again we weren't sure what to expect since we've been to some pretty nasty clubs before. We would do this again.

2 Thank FranknSherrieT
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“don't go in there”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I'm extremely confused by the rave reviews of this place. I've been here twice--years ago and months ago. THEY BOOK HORRIBLE ACTS.

I saw... I can't remember his name(it was February 9). As during my first visit, the headliner was totally clouded by the opening act. His opening act or two were funny guys who got me in the mood for laughs. The host was also great.

The headliner: seemed to be on drugs--not crack or heroin... maybe pills(violins), which made him the opposite of Richard Pryor. Mid-act, I started analyzing any potential hosts'/managers' faces for disappointment or rage... nothing.

Others in the room were in denial, like a father who insists that his teenage daughter who's been on Maury twice is a good girl, lol. I heard constant forced laughs, but the mood in the room wasn't reclined and jovial, but intellectual... I think people were intrigued by the headliner's (perhaps avant garde) approach. Nah, just confused.

It was the loopiest, lamest comedy set ever. I walked by the idiot when leaving and gave him a get-a-job frown, lol, then hurried out rather than imbibe more lameness. I then youtubed a few of their acts. 3/3 comedians seemed equally awful. Nothing is more annoying than buyer's remorse.

I live in Vegas and I've seen better comedy shows for $10, but I never lie about quality.

Visited February 2013