“Jazz without long lines”
Review of Smoke

Smoke
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Jazz without long lines”
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

We chose this jazz club because all the other places seemed to encourage you to be in line for an hour before the show WITH. Reserved tickets - not how we wanted to spend our time. We zipped up to the very upper west side for the 3rd show on a Thursday night. The jazz was good, $20.00 minimum, a full house and a nice crowd. The staff takes good care of the customers and it's a great way to hear live music in a mellow setting. The sound system is right for the room - a good value

Visited August 2013

• Hebrew first
Seattle, Washington
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“The Only Thing Smoking at Smoke Is the Music”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I love the website, which provided me with a favorite quote: "Smoke is Non-Smoking." I also love the club. They advertise themselves as being in Harlem but they are about 20 blocks below 125th St., so I would say they are really still on the Upper West Side. Regardless of specific location, the fact that they are not in Midtown or the Village might deter some tourists from going to the club and that would be a mistake. If you are looking for excellent music in an intimate club, Smoke is an excellent choice. I typically go to the late show and have never tried eating at Smoke. If you go to one of the first two shows of the evening, it is required that you buy dinner. This last time, I spoke with an elderly couple sitting next to me, regulars and neighborhood residents, who recommended the food highly, which likely means the next time I am in New York, I will probably have dinner with my music. Even though dinner is not required at the late show, the kitchen stays open very late and it's almost always possible to get food. I have had the desserts a couple of times, which were excellent. This time, I had the "cheesecake," which was more of a pudding with some chocolate in the center--and pretty terrific. What could be better than listening to a sextet led by the likes of drummer Jimmy Cobb (supported by Justin Robinson, Javon Jackson, Mike LeDonne, Eddie Henderson and Buster Williams!) while enjoying haute cuisine? It's definitely worth the trip uptown, which is painless if you take the #1 subway.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank SteveLikes_3_Stars
Washington DC, District of Columbia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Wonderful evening of jazz and good food”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

A really interesting old fashioned jazz dinner in an intimate setting. A wonderful sextet was playing (great trumpet and sax!) at our 6:30 sitting. Soul food dinners (fried chicken, ribs, barbecue chicken, trout) were huge and delicious. Outstanding place.

Visited May 2013
Philadelphia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Smoke is Smokin' Hot. Very good food and Very good music”
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Located on the Columbia University Campus, on Broadway at 106th, we took a $10 taxi ride from 57th and 7th in Midtown. Because we were unfamiliar with the area we took the taxi. Next time we might take the bus and a taxi back, just because we like using public transportation.

This is an adult venue but mature teens might enjoy being introduced to a real Jazz club.

We thought SMOKE was great in every regard. The host's, Tony and Mike, were friendly and welcoming. We were seated in the back. But you have to understand Smoke is a small venue and I don't think there is a bad seat in the house. It is an intimate setting. Sometimes, back away from the stage, is the best seat. We were lucky enough to make friends with the lovely folks sitting next to us Phillip and Ursula, from the Bronx. One of the reasons we travel is to have new experiences and meet new people. You do not get better than Phillip and Ursula and SMOKE.

The music that night was Gregory Generet, a singer. I really did not expect much but Mr. Generet made us happy we were in the audience. He is a jazz singer in the tradition of Jazz but brings a contemporary take on standards and introduces, to me, what should be in the new lexicon of the American Songbook, a great rendition of a seldom heard song off the Album 'Whats Going On' by Marvin Gaye. But Gregory made it his own.

After each set Mr. Generet made his way around the room and introduced himself. A very nice gesture you won't get in a big venue.

We stayed for three sets and would go back and hear him in a New York minute. Another treat we had was the appearance and playing of Johnny O'Neal who has an angels touch on the piano.

Mostly at Jazz clubs the food is only so-so. Not at SMOKE. The food was delicious and fresh. I cannot believe I am still telling people about the salad, yes the salad, which was just some very fresh greens with a simple Balsamic dressing. Not often when the salad is so memorable. I also had a fantastic, seafood pasta, with a ton of lobster, shrimp and other delightful things from the sea and just lightly sauced with a San Marzano tomato sauce, very, very good.

We enjoy a beverage or two especially when having dinner and listening to music on a night out and we did on this night. All served by a smiling, friendly, professional waitperson, Morgan.

So we had a very good dinner, a few drinks, were treated like family by all of the staff, had great service, three sets of great jazz, met Ursula and Phillip, and found a place to come back to when in New York. What is that experience worth? As the commercial says...priceless.

For the two of us it came to $120 not including tip.

Go to the web site there is a very up front and clear explanation of what you will pay for each performance etc.

If you are from a state or city, town or village, where you do not have the opportunity to go to a jazz supper club I urge you to do your research and book your table for a great and noteworthy New York night.

Visited April 2013
Quarteira, Portugal
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“fab night out”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

this restaurant was only a couple of blocks away from our hotel and was a great find.
We booked the 7pm sitting. The food was great (but HUGE!!!) and the music was excellent.
My only bug bears were it was just a little too noisy to hold a conversation (it was meant to be a romantic evening) and we were hurried out at the end of the first 'show'.
Still definitely worth a visit

Visited April 2013