I don't want to write a lengthy story so I will just hit the main points. My girlfriend and I are big fans of the 1920's - 1940's style and have just returned from a trip to the New York. Before our trip we decided to look up some themed places to go and enjoy some swing music and dancing. How lucky did we feel when we noticed this place which is a dinner club also?! So as a treat we booked a table here on the 26th of May. From the very outset we could tell this place was a tourist trap that could care less about repeat business. Some disappointing notes below,
1. Our table was clearly not booked at all as we had to wait an extra 15 mins when we arrived.
2. After ordering our starters and wine it took almost another 15mins for the wine to arrive which is very overpriced for what is was, $44 for a simple Malbec.
3. After the starters the server cleared our cutlery ...... But didn't give me any new cutlery so when my mains arrived I had to get her attention to ask for a spoon.
4. No one came at any stage to check if we were ok throuout our meal.
5. The sign and website say that the band will play till midnight with a dj after, so we tried to time our meal so that we would be finished just after 11. Adding in the delays from no table being held and the delay with getting our wine and therefore our starters we didn't finish till 11.30. This wouldn't have been too big a deal until the band packed up at 11.32. So no dancing was had for us.
6. Swallowing all of this we continued with our wine and chatting, NO dj came on unless what was clearly an iPod or cd counts as dj'ing these days.
7. Without asking the server put the bill down on the table and said there was no rush to pay......then why give it to us.
This is where the rudeness thickens !!!!!!!
8. $12 charge each for music which would be fine if the band played till midnight as we were led to believe (the band was quite good in fairness to them)
9. An 18% "gratuity" appeared on the bill!! Which for what had been pretty lousy service seemed crazy
10. When we explained to the server that we felt hard done by she said "would you like to speak to the manager" to which we replied "yes please" a minute later she came back and said he was dealing with another issue so we waited.
11. After waiting 20 mins we asked " any sign of the manager" to which she replied "no I'm sorry he is dealing with that issue so ......." Basically we were not going to get to speak to anyone !!!! So we said quite matter of factly that we would not pay that gratuity and then......
12. SHE TORE THE BILL OUT OF MY PARTNERS HAND, and said " fine that's me making no money" we tried to explain that we would have left her something and it was more that establishment we were mad with and she cut us off and said " please pay and leave"
13. Stunned we took our bill to the only member of staff who looked official only to find out he was indeed the manager and was most definitely not dealing with any issue, he was chit chatting to one of the early finishing musicians.
14. He offered his apology and explained that it was a problem he was aware of...... Then fix it! He then offered the chance to come back and not pay the cover charge for music.......why not revoke tonight's charge then???
It was truly a ruined night out for both of us and I am so sad we did not use this site to investigate the place before booking as there are some similar reviews here. Positive points were the music itself and the food was alright. Not great or worth the price but alright.
My advice to the owner would be a serious clearing out of some very useless staff.
My advice to you as a customer, avoid this place!
I would love to see some replies from the business up here, what have they got to hide ?? Now you know.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.