“Beautiful and fascinating exhibits”

Rubin Museum of Art
Ranked #96 of 1,131 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: The Rubin Museum of Art is an arts oasis and cultural hub in New York City's vibrant Chelsea neighborhood that inspires visitors to make powerful connections between contemporary life and the art and ideas of the Himalayas, India, and neighboring regions. With a diverse array of thought-provoking exhibitions and programs-including films, concerts, and on-stage conversations-the Rubin provides immersive experiences that encourage personal discoveries and spark new ways of seeing the world. Emphasizing cross-cultural connections, the Rubin is a space to contemplate the big questions that extend across history and span human cultures.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I came here after hearing about the Chelsea Block Party hosted by the museum. I came around noon, and the museum was relatively empty. I got the audio guide as I do at every museum, but for the first time, I actually didn't think it was necessary or added much to the museum.

The descriptions on the plaques were informative and really added to the visit. I started on the first floor to get a better understanding of the art, then skipped to the Bodies in Balance floors since I'm really interested in medicine. The pieces in the exhibit worked really well together, and I found myself completely fascinated by the information and intricacies of the works. The art itself is beautiful, but the plaques put each piece in context detailing the significance and highlights. When crowds started flooding in when the block party started at 1 PM, I almost skipped the 2nd and 6th floors, but after stopping on them, I found myself drawn in and back to reading every plaque. It's definitely worth taking your time with this museum since there's so much to learn and take in!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

At the moment, the Rubin Museum has floors upon floors filled with incredible artifacts, sculptures, tapestries and paintings from areas around Asia with a primary focus on Buddhism. If you're interested in the religion, or just gazing at beautiful art then it's a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours. The information by each exhibit is really detailed both for those that are interested in the creation and the content. My personal highlights were the Tibetan Shrine Room and the Tibetan Wheel of Life. They also have some interactive elements to it, which is especially useful for those who want to learn about Buddhism. It's also not got the same hustle and bustle of museums I've been to before in New York. I've already been twice.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We all know and love the great museums of NYC, however, The Rubin Museum has also become one of my favorites. Every time I visit, I experience a peaceful and WOW emotion for the art that this museum exhibits. Its never crowded but you need two or more hours if you really want to take it in. We had a 15 minute mini talk about one of the pieces. Our guide, Olivia, was amazing. It was just me and my two sisters, engaging in a fascinating discussion of one piece she discussed. The exhibit Bodies in Balance: the Art of Tibetan Medicine on exhibit through September 8, brings awareness about holistic an homeopathic medicine from ancient times. This is a museum must see, I will return again and again, Easy location, in the Chelsea area of NYC. Lovely museum shop and restaurant. The building was the old Barneys Department store, the transformation to this gem of museum always ceases to amaze me. Lots of kids programs abound. Find two hours and go to the Rubin Museum, you will be glad you did.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The Rubin Museum of Art, located @ 150 West 17th Street, was a lovely discovery. I arrived just before a free tour @ 1 pm and joined the small group. The tour was on the 6th floor and a presentation of Buddhas was given. The galleries offered Buddha history from several countries as well as The Art of Tibetan Medicine. I was disappointed the 2nd floor exhibit of Gateway to Himalayan Art and Tibetan Buddhist Shrine Room closed but will reopen July 2nd. Many pieces were on loan from The Brooklyn Museum. A real feast for the eyes were the objects ranging from statuaries, scrolls, wall hangings and blood letting instruments. Senior rate was $10. Café and small gift shop in the lobby. Pay attention to where photographs are not allowed.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Get away from the crowds and see something Different.

This is one of my Must See Museum's of the World! A true GEM in New York City!

Even if you don't have an interest in Himalayan Art you will get something very special out of the visit.

They have events too that are open to the public to attend too.
I went back and attended K2- a Friday night event.

Great for locals. The collection is curated very carefully and is stunning.