“Elegance - Fashion of the 30s is Excellent”
Review of The Museum at FIT

The Museum at FIT
Ranked #168 of 1,140 things to do in New York City
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I'm a huge fan of the 30s/40s clothing and home decor, and found this exhibit to be fantastic. I'm an admirer of many of the clothing designers of this period, especially Adrian, and this exhibit includes two of his garments. There is a book available at the FIT bookstore (also on Amazon much cheaper) that is a lovely retrospective of the exhibit and period.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I often visit colleges when I travel and my daughter really wanted to see the exhibit at the fashion institute. I think "museum" is a euphemism unless I missed something...and I believe maybe we did miss something. We saw the exhibit on Trends. The shoe exhibit was closed and when I headed to the elevator (I heard there were exhibits on the lower and main floors) the security personnel hollered at me across the lobby that I couldn't go anywhere else unless I had a student or staff badge. So...the small exhibit we saw was interesting but this was not the greatest experience. As a person who visits colleges all over the country it also didn't leave me impressed on the hospitality front.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Temp exhibit downstairs on the 30's. Beautiful clothes starting trends still seen in what men and women wear today. Special treats - Fred Astaire's shoes, Katherine Hepburn's dress. Informative technical video was marred by terrible acoustics that made it difficult to hear. About an hour to enjoy it all. Did not deliver any promised information contrasting the clothes with the politics of the era. Free, as usual, so still well worth it.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

this place was really small and none of the exhibits seemed to very good at explaining anything. the trendology exhibit just showed some trends, but would have been great to go more in depth as to what started the trend and how the trend died out, etc. the 30's collection downstairs was interesting to see, but also not enough explanation. the bathing suits were interesting -- probably since they came with some explanation regarding the new 5 day workweek...but i guess this museum is free which is good because this would have been not very worthwhile if there was a fee.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Downstairs was amazing, the clothes, the shoes and don't miss the movie, though the noise of the guests made it very hard to hear. With Spring Break there were so many kids and the noise made it more difficult to enjoy. But do visit.