“Truly authentic German food; don't go to silly imitations”

Zum Schneider Restaurant & Biergarten
Ranked #3,377 of 14,144 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Austrian, German
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: East Village
Reviewed 15 March 2014

There are a number of places called beer gardens in the US that market themselves as German because they serve beer in large glasses and serve cheap American hotdogs and call them wurst. Real German food, even at moderately priced pubs in Germany, has a wide variety of great tastes, with delicate fresh vegetables and salads, light and airy noodles and dumplings, very tender cuts of meat (and, of course, very good beer), and creamy desserts which are not dripping with sugar. This restaurant is one of only two or three in the whole United States that I have found that serves anything close to authentic German food. If you have been to Germany and are missing all those wonderful foods (including real brezels!) this is the place; it would hold its own with any restaurant serving standard cuisine in Germany.

The only odd thing is that they don't serve coffee!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Very good standard Bavarian dishes accompanied by the best of German DRAUGHT BEERS!
Imagine Schneiderweiss on tap!

A way out in ABC City but worth the trip is you are looking for good German food in Manhattan.
Lively and informal, reasonably priced, the sausages were vey authentic.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

I am Bavarian and since we don't have a lot of Bavarian restaurants in Montreal (and feeling a bit homesick) I was really excited to try this place. And I was not disappointed. It felt like eating out on a Sunday at a local Bavarian restaurant with my parents. I ordered the Schweinebraten and it was delicious! The gravy was excellent and well seasoned. Also, the salad that came with it tasted like in a German restaurant. I even told the waitress that the food tasted like my Mum's pork roast that she used to make on Sundays when I was little. The beer selection is great too. We had the Andechser when we were there. Even though the food is a bit expensive it's worth every penny! I will definitely come back!

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Great potato pancakes. Excellent beer selection. Delicious pretzel. I was I town for the marathon, so I had to carb up and the pancakes were perfect. My friends had some sausages and the all looked delicious.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I ate here a couple months ago. I remeber the food was great. I have the Weisswurst which was delicious. The best part about this place are the pretzels. They are so fresh. I'm not a beer drinker, but appartently the beer is great too. The atmosphere is a bit strange when you first go in during the cooler months. The place almost looks closed without all the outside summer seating set up. There are fake trees througout, and the tables are all made out of randow pieces of wood, and none of the chairs/benches match.

This place is worth trying, and going back too. Just don't walk past it mid-day thinking its closed. They probably aren't.