“Best thing about it is the location”
Review of Charley O's - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We were going to a show and needed to dine in a hurry. We'd intended to go to Kodama Sushi across the street which has strong reviews but there was a queue and we didn't have enough time to wait so we went to Charley O's instead. The fact that there were so many free tables available when we walked in off the street tells a story. I've eaten in worse places but this place is a definite low-spot in our trip. The food is average or below-average and the prices were high for what you got. The service was only so-so. There are so many better places in NYC that its a shame that we ended up eating in such an average place. The only thing going on for the place is that it is very convenient if you are going to the show "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre which is just two doors down the street.

1  Thank Bigby42

Reviewed 13 November 2011

The food here was not terrible, but it was definitely not worth the money we paid for it. My husband purchased fish and chips that resembled and tasted the same as a meal from Long John Silver's, only it was four times the price! I had a chicken salad that was mediocre, and again way over priced. The portion sizes were also much smaller than we anticipated. I understand that when dining in the theater district you'd expect to pay higher prices, however this was just ridiculous! Even the cheese cake left much to be desired. If you are going to pay prices like these, find a place that has better quality food.

Reviewed 12 April 2011

Went here for breakfast as it was near our hotel. It ended up being the most expensive meal in our 5 day stay in New York. Had 'pancakes served with bacon' and my mum had 'waffles served with sausage' when the bill came we had been charged for the bacon and the sausages as extras. I questioned this and the reply I got was ' these are side dishes this is an a la carte restaurant'. I left livid. Do not waste your money here.

Reviewed 30 December 2010

We made the mistake of dining here on one of our last night’s in the city. We got a late start, and most other places were full ---- there was definitely a reason this one wasn’t! I don’t even know where to start. Bad service doesn’t begin to describe it. When we finally got someone to come over and take our order, she definitely wasn’t friendly. We had our salads 10 minutes before we got forks (despite complaining to the manager). Our beverages arrived after the forks. Burgers were very much overcooked, and were served with only ketchup --- no option for mustard or mayo (but at this point we were ready to leave). Cheesecake was just ok. We ordered off of a 3 course fixed price menu ($20 with a beverage). I know you get what you pay for, but this was horrible. Took forever, nothing was right, and they couldn’t even run a credit card quickly. Wouldn’t dream of going back. Not sure how they stay in business.

Reviewed 15 August 2008

We were walking up and down the streets in the theater district looking for a place to eat before a broadway show and we happened to walk by Charley O's. We decided to take a chance and we were very glad we did. The restaurant has a casual atmosphere. The food was very good. And they were accomodating in preparing the fish I ordered differantly than was listed on the menu. I had the talapia which was very good. I would definitely go back again. My husband like his Mahi Mahi, too.