“Loved it!”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We saw the show on March 8th and sat in the Mezzanine, seats B17 and B19 (2nd row, left side). How many ways can I say that my daugher (age 20) and I (age mumble) absolutely loved the show! The songs were tuneful (my daughter has been listening to and singing them ever since), the dialog witty, the acting sly and superb. It was a delightful evening.
Jefferson Mays (plays multiple parts) was excellent and must be exhausted afterwards! And Bryce Pinkham made us root for him even as he made his way through the relatives between himself and the title. His character is much more sympathetic in this version than in the Alec Guinness "Kind Hearts and Coronets" 1950s movie (nonmusical) version.
The orchestra did a fabulous job! This is not a musical in the "over the top" Phantom of the Opera or Chicago way but is a bit more subtle. This not a "all singing, all dancing" type of show nor is it the type to have big show stopper numbers. It is just all good!
After reading reviews here I was a bit worried about the seating (and really it is true that the balcony is scarily high, I read someplace that it used to be the lighting gallery). The Mezzanine was fine and a bargain really at $79 plus taxes and so on (purchased through Broadwaybox.com and printed at home). The theater is beautiful. It is true that the seats are tight. (I had to put my rather large purse down on the floor and then sit down as otherwise I couldn't squeeze it between the seat and front and the edge of my seat.) I am 5' 10" and I was OK but I don't see how my 6' 2" husband would fit. If you are taller or larger try to get an aisle seat. The boxes A & B on the sides of the theater seem to have cushioned individual chairs that I think would give more room but not sure how pricey they are. That said, the seats themselves were comfortable and we had an excellent view of the stage. I made sure to stand up and walk around a bit at intermission. My advice---be sure to use the restroom before the show because I heard the line was waaay long.
Go see it---you won't be sorry! And with the prices of some of the shows I thought this was a bargain. We saw Chicago with Wendy Williams over the summer and I thought this was much better.
PS Those oldsters out there like me may recognize Jane Carr from the old Judd Hirsch sitcom "Dear John" from the late 80's early 90's. I recognized her voice right away. I'm sure she has done many illustrious things since then but that's what I recognized her from.

3 Thank cheapskatediva

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Merrick NY
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Entertaining show”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Saw the play Saturday and it was excellent. The English accents, at times are a little difficult but as the show goes on you get used to it. The theater is small, but try to sit center. The stage has a set within the larger set so if you are off to the sides it can make it a little straining to see all the actors easily. It is fast paced and fun to follow the plot!

2 Thank John L
Swindon, England
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Great fun - highlight of our whole trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We decided on this show (having queued at TKTS) because neither of us knew anything about it and we fancied trying something different.

It was hilarious.

The set is unbelievably clever, can't really describe why - just go and see it!

The lead actors are brilliant and the guy who plays seven of the characters is outstanding.

My husband considers this the highlight of our whole New York trip and I have to say its hard to disagree!

Visited February 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

highly recommend! what a fun show.. and at a great price because no big broadway 'headliners' or movie stars in it.. if you like fun and great music with great talent, then i strongly recommend this show.

1 Thank Buttsman
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Jefferson Mays is phenomenal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Wow. Jefferson Mays was fantastic. We selected this show based on discussions in the TKTS line and reading TripAdvisor while in line. So happy that we chose this show. Funny, different, great singing, just an all in all great show. The entire cast was phenomenal not to slight their excellent performance.

No bad seats in the smaller theater, which is a plus. Though at intermission, better get in line for the restroom or bar fast as the lines build to be quite long.