“Small, red, loud music... Not much else!”
Review of Madame X

Madame X
Ranked #230 of 866 Nightlife in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Greenwich Village bar with a lusty atmosphere.
hampshire
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Small, red, loud music... Not much else!”
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

All the tables were reserved (but mainly empty) and the bar seats all taken on the Friday night we visited. The place is red, and the music is loud. It's pretty small. I would only go back if we had a reserved table and there were a few more of us!

NY
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Woman in red”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Madame X is basically a dive bar, but with a lot of color, mainly red. It gives the impression that you are in a cheap, pseudo Belle Epoque bordello, but that's the appeal. Happy hour is worth the price, and there is a year-round heated garden in back where you can smoke. They occasionally have special events, not least of which might be naked women reading literature and poetry. Although I have never been inclined to pursue this aspect of the place, it seems that the possibility of a pickup occasionally looms. All in all, not a bad place to pop in for a quick one, or perhaps a quickie.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank JogNy
Baltimore, Maryland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Amazing party spot!”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Our party took up the entire second floor. Plenty of lounge spaces with chairs and couches. 2 loo's on the floor, not in ideal locations, but they were used. Great bar! Smoking deck available at the back of the first floor lounge.

Visited September 2013
Fremont, California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Just happened in here on our Friday night NYC trip!”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The atmosphere and music were great and it just drew my girlfriend and I in, as we walked by it on the street. We new we wanted a drink and where just trying to decide on where.
Then we saw this place. Very intriguing entrance...downstairs and glowing red!
We liked the music we heard sort of clubby and sort of Top40ish on a Friday night.
The DJ was setting up in the front area (actually in the window).
There was good mixture of the youngens (under 30), as well as some older people in the crowd (our demographic 31-50).
Now the best part was that we arrived for the tailend of their happy hour, so we had their house concoctions: I had a Rum-based "P***y Galore (Bond themed) and my girlfriend had the Gin-based drink. They were very tasty and very reasonably priced.
We had an excellent time here and would recommend it for anyone in the mood for a lounge type experience with a unique feel. When the DJ started he played more dance club type of hip-hop to electronic music, but as stated before I am hip!
They have a back area with lots of tables, like a lounge and apparently they had an upstairs also...but it did not open until later and we were roaming that night!
I get the feeling some of the younger couples would be making out more later in the dark areas, but as I stated before I am hip eventhough I am in my mid-40s now!

Visited April 2013