“ABT's Manon”

American Ballet Theatre
Ranked #275 of 1,079 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: The world-renowned American Ballet Theatre presents 19th-century classics (during summer months) at two venues: Metropolitan Opera and City Center.
Toronto, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“ABT's Manon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Recently saw Manon by ABT at the Lincoln Center. Can't say I'm a huge fan of Kenneth MacMillan's choreography, but Manon was danced by Polina Semionova who, in my opinion, carried the whole production. She is FANTASTIC! I will see NYCB next time I'm in NYC, or ABT if Polina is dancing.

Definitely worth it if you are a balletomane who enjoys the classics!

1 Thank MoJoTrippin

Montgomery, New Jersey
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Marvelous Productions!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

For years, my friends and I have had spring season tickets to the ABT. I look forward to each series! The Metropolitan Opera House is a magnificent venue! And, our seats are the best - front row mezzanine. The performances are varied and beautifully executed. The settings and the costumes are always detailed and extravagant. And, the orchestra is outstanding! The whole experience is one that all should enjoy!

1 Thank MaryPat105
Smithtown, New York
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Don Quixote”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

I have been a patron for almost 20 years, and I try to see at least one ballet per year. This year's choice was Don Quixote. It was an outstanding performance.. the pas de deux was a show stopper. The costumes were a beautiful array of pastels that change in the light. The color scheme and the set were showstoppers!
If you have never visited, the Metropolitan Opera House, in which ABT performs is something you must see! I have included a photo of the chandelier from the balcony floor.

1 Thank Christine P
Silver Spring, Maryland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Boylston and Simkin Shine in ABT's Don Quixote”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Although they aren't the marquee pair to dance the lead roles in American Ballet Theatre's performance of Don Quixote, Isabella Boylston and Daniil Simkin gave a splendid performance in this bright production. Ms. Boylston's turns, jumps and fouetté a were perfectly turned and her spirit seemed to rise during all three acts until reaching a beautiful crescendo in the final wedding scene. Her youthful athleticism was well attuned to the role of the flirtatious inkeeper's daughter, and she had us smiling all afternoon. Mr. Simkin, as the male lead, was just as athletic, and his leaps were spectacular. His one armed lifts were carried out seemingly effortlessly, and his solos took our breath away. For those purists who loved the Baryshnikov version of this, you might even enjoy the fact that Mr. Simkin has deliberately cut his hair in the style of his Russian forebear, We found the scenery and mock-Spanish costumes enchanting, and the orchestra performed beautifully. This gay performance loses just one star, because at least for us, at time there was so much going on onstage it was hard to follow the action. Otherwise, this is a thoroughly enjoyable treat,. We would definitely hope to see more of Boylston and Simkin in the future from ABT

2 Thank Jeff M
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Terrible policy”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

I was so excited to get tickets to see Firebird and NY City Center but their policy on making one purchase a ticket for an infant (who would be sitting with me) is a terrible one. I wanted to take my 5 year old and my baby - excited to have The Little Orchestra as their first introduction to classical music but now will not attend.
Family friendly? Building audience for the future generations? I think NOT!

Visited November 2013