“OMG”

American Ballet Theatre
Ranked #256 of 1,130 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: The world-renowned American Ballet Theatre presents 19th-century classics (during summer months) at two venues: Metropolitan Opera and City Center.
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We go annually to the Boston Ballet and the dancers and staging is fine. We are used to a quality production and willing to pay for it. On a recent trip to NYC we went to the American Ballet Theatre at Lincoln Center (at the Met). The dancing made the Boston Ballet look like a troupe of junior high school students. Sorry Boston Ballet but if you really want to see how to dance you need to watch the ABT. The lead dancers received a 10 minute standing ovation. It was truly unbelievable. We are planning another trip to NYC for the primary purpose of going to the ABT again. Don't miss it.

3  Thank GoIndians

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My girlfriend took me here on friday night. It was a long performance but it was very interesting and captivating to watch considering ballet is not my thing, however my girlfriend does ballet.I was very happy she took me as I am always looking for different things to do in the city. I'm looking forward to going to another show!!

1  Thank Sam H
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Splurged on good seats for the June 20 performance of Giselle. The main objective was to watch a performance in the Metropolitan Opera House as I am a great fan of the Met Opera Live in HD broadcasts and love the scenes of the camera panning the audience before and after. The venue seemed even larger than I expected. The ballet was excellent, although perhaps it lacked the extra spark as mentioned by some other reviewers. The NYTimes had given a glowing review to different principal dancers than those performing the night I was there. The orchestra in the pit I thought particularly good. All in all, a wonderful evening splurge. (We saved some money by buying deli takeout and picnicking and people-watching on the Lincoln Center plaza before the performance.

1  Thank Melissa A
Reviewed 8 July 2014

One can never be totally disappointed with the ballet at Lincoln Center; just being in that beautiful environment is exciting and you know It is just going to be a great experience. I was not very taken with this particular performance; it was standard. Obviously still well performed, beautiful sets and costumes and orchestra. Some of the dancing was excellent-some of the choreography was fair but not spectacular especially with the corps.This was Coppelia and I think it was performed for little ballerinas in the audience which was fine but it lacked the boldness and passion that I have seen in other performances. Always a treat to go especially when tickets cost so much.I would not hesitate to go again and recommend any performance wtih ABC or at the Lincoln Center!

1  Thank 331aee
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Greatly enjoyed recent performance of the American Ballet Theater at the Metropolitan Opera House. The dancers were superb and the orchestra was excellent. Ballet performances are often priced less than Broadway shows and yet the level of talent of the ballet dancers and orchestra musicians are much greater than what I generally find on Broadway.

2  Thank TomBocaRaton