“Nice venue, but...”
Review of Irving Plaza

Irving Plaza
Ranked #125 of 862 Nightlife in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Rock music club.
Ringwood, New Jersey
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Nice venue, but...”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I've always loved music and have been to many concerts. Irving Plaza seems like a nice enough venue that attracts niche performers with fan bases of modest sizes. I've personally only been to a handful of shows at Irving Plaza, mainly because most of my favorite musicians don't necessarily play there. However, as a petite woman (about 5'2"), I've never really been able to see much of anything at this venue and don't necessarily have the time to wait on line for hours and hours to make sure I get right up front. I understand that's what a standing-room venue is all about, I just wish the sight lines were a bit better than they are.

Visited April 2013

Canyon, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Hillsong Church-Irving Plaza”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

One of the coolest parts of our trip to NYC was attending Hillsong Church at Irving Plaza. They had 6 services, and we arrived for one of the afternoon times. Always a great sign for a church is the number of people attending. This church didn't disappoint-the line was wrapped around the building. There were 7 in our group (me, my wife, our three kids, mother-in-law and an 'adopted' college-aged daughter). We weren't even sure if we were at the right spot but after asking a few people in line we quickly found out this was the place to be. Get there early! The first time we tried it was totally packed, and we decided to come back for the next service. There was a convenient Panera Bread just around the corner for our short wait and Chipotle after church. WOW! What a awesome time of worship. We just really had an outstanding time, the volunteers were so very hospitable and friendly we would so come back. One of the volunteers, who was from Australia (I think), got a real kick out of my mother-in-law, whose name is Ramona. The theatre itself is home to weekend concerts, too. For this service it held a full band, a Welcome Home banner, an antique chandelier and disco ball. Great sound and vibe. The atmosphere of Irving and Hillsong Church include a diverse (every ethnic group-all ages and walks of life) and a young dynamic, a great place to be anytime. We will most certainly come back.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank CoryBruce
“I would definitely return to this venue”
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

I went to a two day event at Irving plaza and I wasn't sure what to expect, but I can't wait to return to this venue. I was able to upgrade my general admission floor ticket for balcony VIP for $25. With it came a drink coupon to the bar right behind you so it was very convenient. They offer food and coat check which is a nice bonus.

Visited June 2013
New York
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“It Gets Good Acts But ...”
Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

Its a popular spot because its not huge and it gets decent perforners but it feels like a total firetrap that needs a good scrub with bleach. The place is utterly filthy and gets jammed to what feels like overcapacity. I'm not impressed.

1 Thank HuntleyNewYork
Portland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Cool, intimate venue with excellent sound and views”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I brought my husband here on his birthday to see Big Head Todd and the Monsters. It was our first time at this venue and we loved it. It's an old performance space, with a lot of character and a shabby chic feel to it.

The tickets are general admission, and everyone stands. There are bars on the main floor, the second floor, and the "balcony" floor. The best views are from the balcony floor, but most of that area is VIP only, though the bar area and one side is for anyone.

Get there when the doors open for the best selection of viewing spots.

Visited February 2013