“The best tour ever!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

New York Hip-Hop Tour
Ranked #43 of 585 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: There is nowhere else you can rub shoulders with and listen to real insider stories from hip hop heavyweights and living legends like Grandmaster Caz, Kurtis Blow, Raheim of the Furious Five and Reggie Reg. …and what other experience gives you access to the secret sites that have played a critical role in shaping the hip hop culture? So, roll out with us. Other tour companies only show you the typical tourist-y spots and blindly pass over the rich, vibrant landmarks that give NYC its character. Our hip-hop tours are the best way for art and music lovers to visit sites you probably would have never visited on your own and experience sights, sounds and stories you won’t forget. Kick it with our crew and you won’t be disappointed. We’re all about preserving the roots of hip hop culture and that means sharing it with the world – and with people like you. For over a decade, we have been the leader in providing authentic insight into New York City and its impact on musical innovation. New York City is the undisputed Birthplace of Hip Hop culture and our tour guides are the originators! Let us show you the city’s hidden gems through the hip-hop lens.
UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The best tour ever!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2010

Me and two of my friends went on this. One of my friends is not into hip hop and it was his favourite thing out of everything we did in NYC all weekend. The tour takes you to some great places that you probably wouldn't get to otherwise and the guides, hip hop legend Grandmaster Caz and JDL were really enthusiastic and knowledgble and it was all well organised.

If you like hip hop this tour is a must. If you like hip hop this is a must. Even if you only have a passing interest you will love the tour.

• Greek first
Vancouver, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“your trip to NYC won't be complete without this!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

I'd recommend this tour to literally everyone, your trip to NYC won't be complete without this!

speaking from a hip hop enthusiast point of view, the "Birthplace of Hip Hop Tour - Harlem & The Bronx" organized by Hush Tours, is very enlightening. Without giving away the places visited on the tour, I have a decent knowledge of what they are already, but being on the tour and having the story told by the hip hop pioneer, for me is Grand Master Caz, makes this experience "one of a kind"! you could read all you want about the history of hip hop in books or online but getting a first-hand account on what actually happened is very different and much better.

hip hop pioneer tour guides are very organized and take good care of the group. besides the guide, they hire another person to be with the tour and take care of all the miscellaneous things, which is thoughtful and much appreciated. as for value, the tour makes good use of the entire 4 hours, the process isn't rushed but very fulfilling. unlike some day tour in other countries, they are not pushy at all with selling souvenirs. at the end of the tour, they just simply let's you know what's available and that's it. I bought some rare CD for only $10 each, great value and can be autographed as well.

this tour is also good for those whom isn't as enthusiastic as me, but still want to find out more about hip hop. the tour takes you to places where ordinary tourists wouldn't go, like parts of Harlem and South Bronx. While on my own, I think the busy streets of Harlem are safe but still not the Bronx, and the tour is a great opportunities to check out those remarkable neighborhood with a lot of peace in mind.

Debra, founder of the tour, whom also greets every person on the tour at the starting point, is a great resource for finding out what's happening in NYC's hip hop scene. I joined a party celebrating Grand Master Caz's birthday on the weekend after the tour and Debra was very friendly and caring for me at the party. Most importantly, she treats other people with the same kind of sincerity and generosity, and none of those "New Yorker's cold and indifferent attitude" that I found at my expensive hotel.

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Walk this way tour with JDL was interesting and a lot of fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2010

Day before yesterday I went on the Walk this way Tour through Harlem and JDL was our guide. We started in the museum and saw a short documentary about the last 50 years of New York. Went to a lot of Hiphop related places and got to hear the story about how Hiphop started told by someone who lived and was a rapper at that time. I was in a small group so had the oppertunity to ask a lot of questions.

So overal I can recommend this tour. If your in to hiphop and want to know more about how it started and have fun at the same time, this is your tour.

CAMBRIDGE
“an amazing experience, true new york style”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2010

WoW , wow and WOW.... This tour was a true eye opener of the history and life style of the hip hop movement which comes from this awesome city.... The tour leaders are true to their word, they gave us an experience we will never forget.
We stopped for lunch at the same place Snoop dog had stopped for lunch, which is in a small cafe style soul food bar, we meet Snoop and had somes photos with him! This was just pure luck mind you but even without meeting him I would truely recommend anyone who wants a real taste of New York to board this tour!!

Auckland
“Recommend to any fan of hip hop - young and old”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2010

We took the Rapper's Row - Queensbridge / Hollis Tour Oct 09. Our guides were Grandmaster Caz and Debra and their knowledge of hip hop was amazing - not surprising considering GM Caz was in the delivery room at Hip Hop's birth....haha. Highlights were 5 pointz and the lunch break at Hollis Burgers (recommend the cheeseburgers). But the main highlight for us was having GM Caz as our guide, his in depth knowledge and listening to stories from his career. I took my teens on this tour cause I wanted them to have more of insight into the early days of the genre, back when I first started listening when it was less commercial and had more of a social conscience (and less about easy women and bling). I only wish we had time to take the Bronx / Harlem tour, which is the one we wanted to take initially - but it was not available on the day we were free.