Courtyard New York Manhattan/Upper East Side
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$205
US$195
Room Mate Hotels
  • Pool
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$189
US$157
  • Room Service
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$220
US$198
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness centre
Row NYC Hotel(New York City)
US$182
US$148
  • Bar/Lounge
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$382
US$350
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$291
US$223
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Soho Grand Hotel(New York City)
US$353
US$333
  • Restaurant
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$209
  • Restaurant
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$377
US$250
Official Site
  • Room Service
Archer Hotel New York(New York City)
US$324
US$299
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewssinai hospitalcourtyard marriottfront desknew yorkcentral parknice hotelfridge and microwavequiet locationminute walkfew blockssubway stationfree coffeeby nyc standardsfitness centerking bedaround the cornernyc hotel
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I am partial to Courtyards, as I know exactly what I am getting whenever I stay at one. The room will be clean, comfortable and contain all the essentials that make travel easy, such as lots of electrical outlets, including two at the nightstand so I can charge my phone and keep it handy. There is always a mini fridge, a coffee maker and individual coffee bean packets. This property is no exception. There is also a well equipped gym and lap pool, and easily accessible computers with a printer in the lobby.
The rooms are smaller than an average Courtyard, but this is NYC, so no complaints there. I also don't care if there is a bistro in the lobby, as some other reviewers have commented on. Again, this is NYC. There are probably a dozen Starbucks in a two block radius, along with more breakfast, lunch, dinner places, bars and delis than anyone can count.
I go to NYC a lot, since its my home town and I have lots of family there. I do have issue with the pricing of this hotel, as well as most other Marriott properties in the city. While I expect it to cost more to stay in the city, there are other similar hotels, just as reliable, that are often much more reasonable. It depends on the day and the deal you can get. Finally, if you are visiting NYC for the first time, understand that this hotel is not located in the "heart" of the action, at least until the 2nd Ave Subway is finished. If you want to stay in midtown, Times Square or off Central Park, and can afford it, stay there. If however, you want the quiet of a basically residential neighborhood, where parking a car is difficult, but not impossible, this is a great choice. By NYC standards it is walking distance to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. There is also a great jogging track along the East River and lots of nice little parks. While is isn't the luxury of a Ritz Carlton, it is perfectly safe, clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: The higher up the better.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank RubyAZ12
Robert R, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Upper East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Hi RubyAZ12,
Thank you for staying with us. I am happy that you have enjoyed our property. We are looking forward to your next visit with us here at the Courtyard by Marriott Upper East Side.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I chose this hotel because it was the closest chain near my conference. It was clean, very good staff. I didn't use any amenities other than wi-fi. Room and hotel was quiet, housekeeping was top notch. Very expensive for this level of hotel, even in New York City.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Robert R, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Upper East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Michael P ,
Thanks you for your kind words, which I will be sharing with the entire team. I am glad that you took advantage of the complimentary wi-fi. I hope to host you again soon

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I had to go to NYC on a medical emergency. I put my daughter in the hospital and she was there for 9 days. I have stayed at this hotel before but it was for only a few days. This stay was for 11 nights. When I returned home I looked at my bill more carefully, I noticed that for the 11 nights at this hotel no two nights were charged the same. The rate ranged from $159 to $429 and was different each night. While I stayed there I ask several of the staff, including people in the finance area of the hotel if they could give me a little break on the price since I was there on an unexpected emergency. Also, that I have stayed there several times in the past. The head lady said that I was already getting the Senior Rate (AARP) and that was the best she could do. I told her that I would have gotten that rate in any case. I wrote a letter to the General Manager and enclosed a copy of the bill as proof. I asked him what kind of business is he running where the price changes nightly and the buyer is not informed. I have yet (it has been 10 days) to hear from him. I will never stay there again and will encourage my friends, through social media, not to stay there. I encourage you to seek another hotel unless you want to be screwed!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Wachtel1943

Dear Wachtel1943,
I would like to start but saying that I hope that your daughter is feeling better. I do appreciate your feedback and welcome the opportunity to provide you further clarification regarding our rates. Our rates are subject to change on a daily basis as demand in the area changes. I believe that I am in receipt of your letter however, you failed to provide contact information in this letter and therefore our ability to reach you was limited. Further to this regard when you booked your original reservation it was booked via a third party discounted site which does not provide us with your contact information. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you further as I understand that you spoke to several members of the management team and was never informed of your rate yet you knew you were getting the AARP rate. Also please understand that the discounted AARP rate was not available for all nights of your stay yet we extended it you as a courtesy based on the nature of your stay.

I look forward to discussing this matter further

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stay at Courtyards all over the country and have rarely been disappointed. I was therefore dismayed to find that this one, boasting in ads of its new renovation, did not yet have the bistro and bar service that are Courtyard's new standard, and in fact did not even offer the most basic breakfast, much less the full service that used to be the norm that busy travelers could expect when staying there. The neighborhood does have plenty of restaurants, if one has the time and can find a cab on rainy mornings.
The room I had was fresh and modern with a gray and silver metal theme, a desk and easy chair. But the decorator had stopped short at the bathroom door. In there, there was tired tan wallpaper, obviously patched in places, a grimy light switch, and a heavy plastic shower liner in an 80's era bright peach. There was no separate area for sink and dressing, and the bathroom fan just wasn't working. The mirror steams up completely while showering, and doesn't clear for at least ten minutes afterward, and then only when you've opened the bathroom door. Two people having to share this bath would be uncomfortable and very time consuming; again, not what one expects from Courtyard, where the usual separate sink area allows two people to get through the morning routine comfortably and efficiently. I had to ask that the fan vent be cleaned; it was spotted and grimy when I arrived. Sufficient towels, though, and once I left empty toiletry containers displayed very prominently next to the coffee pot, housekeeping did replenish them. It took similar prodding to get additional coffee supplies, by the way.
This hotel is reasonably priced for Manhattan, and it was near the event I was attending, so location was good for me. But usually I feel like I've arrived home when I check in at Courtyard, and I really didn't feel that here. Just too many ways which weren't up to standard. Be forewarned.

Room Tip: You probably want a river view, but even the city views aren't bad. My room overlooked 92nd Street and the small park across the Street.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BagsRPakd

Dear BagsRPakd,
Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback. I do understand that you were expecting the experience that is common to our sister hotels and will so be common here. I regret that while our lobby, rooms and all public space has been renovated we are now starting the Bistro. Based on your feedback we are addressing the vents in all bathrooms and I appreciate you pointing this out. I do hope to welcome you back and host you for a coffee in our Bistro soon.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My mom and I stayed here for 2 nights. The hotel is in a good area. It is a 10 minute walk to the E96th subway station. When you walk from the subway station, there are a lot of restaurants. You'll also see laundromats, shops, bakery, grocery by the cornoer of 98th st ( i think).

The hotel looks new. The staff at the lobby, cleaning ladies and everyone we saw were really nice and they always greeted guests with a smile. They do not have a restaurant, however, the do have a snack bacr where you can buy cereal, milk (yes, they have lactose free:) ), chips and other food and toiletries. They also have a huge lobby and a couple of computers.

The room is a decent size and I am so happy they gave us a room with a view. The view is awesome at day and at night. All the appliances were working and in good condition. It was CLEAN!!!! :)

I do not mind walking but my mom did. I explained to her that this is NEW YORK, everyone walks and it is normal. She got used to the walking on our 2nd day. If you do not mind spending on a hotel with a bit of a walk but with great rooms and price, this is the hotel for you. If you want a hotel right across the subway, this is not the hotel you want. There's one thing i'll tell you, YOU CAN'T BEAT THE PRICE! :)

Room Tip: We were in a corner room and we had a perfect view! :)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Capsgirl19

I truly enjoy reading that one of our guests found our hotel to be the perfect match for them. I am sure that our future guest reading this will find it to be a true reflection of the team’s hard work. I will be sharing your feedback with our entire team as they also enjoy the positive feedback. I do hope that your travel plans have you returning to NYC soon and to the Courtyard Upper East Side