“Great location, friendly staff”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Upper East Side
Ranked #295 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for a week in mid June - our first trip to New York city. We loved the location. My conference was in Times Square and I was a bit hesitant to stay here at first as I thought it would be out of the way and bit far for us from everything. Instead we ended up being extremely happy with the location - it had so many great eateries located nearby, delis, the subway was a 10 minute walk (food carts and shops to see along the way). The staff were great - on check in I asked if we could have 2 queen beds instead of the king (I booked online via expedia and king was all that was left) and they were more than accommodating in making the change for us. Always had a smile and very helpful. Housekeeping I left a note for asking for more coffee pods, and each time they left more than enough for us. Free coffee in the mornings in the foyer which was great also as we grabbed a cup to take with us when we went out in the mornings. We walked everywhere and took the subway mostly, but saying that there are always taxis close by or private cars/drivers out the front of the hotel. The bed was really comfy and the pillows were assorted in terms of softness/hardness. Had a great night sleep each night. Only negative I can think of was that the shower curtain was a bit musty, but I'm sure if I had informed staff it would of been changed. There is no bistro on site, but there is really no need as there are so many eateries nearby (highly recommend Au Jus or Zabars [Eli's Vinegar Factory] just around the corner) that you can visit, or order food from for delivery to your room at no charge.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 15th floor and had no problems with noise or AC.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Travelling_Families
Robert R, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Upper East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Travelling_Families,
Thank you for your great feedback of your stay in New York City with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here with your family.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Great hotel, great view of the city, friendly helpful staff, great location. Subway not too far from hotel, definitely walking distance. Restaurants nearby, Duane Reade Pharmacy close by. Room was clean, shower worked great. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank kel4377

Dear Kel4377,
Thank you for your great review of our hotel. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in New York City with us. Looking forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Air conditioning that doesn't work, only two elevators - and one out of service half the time, key cards that don't work, management that doesn't care...I would rather sleep in the subway than at this hotel ever again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank theusual154
Robert R, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Upper East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2014

Dear theusual154,
Thank you for the feedback from this engineering issue that you have recently received. I assure you that the engineering issue is not consistent with what you should expect when visiting a Marriott Hotel. I hope that you do return to our hotel and see the positive change that has happened as a result of your feedback.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Great hotel, friendly staff, nice view of the city. It's quite a hike to the subway, but in the morning there are plenty of cabs waiting out front. Great restaurants nearby.

The only concern we had was of the AC unit. It was not working properly, unable to cool the room. We promptly shared out concerns with the staff. They had said that there was a problem with the unit and it should be working in 30 minutes. 4 days later, it still wasn't working well. Overall, it was nice hotel in a "quiet" for NYC area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Kokua5,
Thank you for your feedback in regards to your stay with us. We will be looking into the issue with the AC units. We would like to see you come back soon and stay with us again at our hotel.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I've stayed at this Courtyard several times and it is a great alternative to what are usually much more expensive midtown hotels. I really appreciate the redone lobby and rooms. But, I do have one "complaint" that I hope will be read by staff and attended to. I don't know if this is specific to this Courtyard or part of a a change in room amenities. The good old lemon/sage and lemon/citrus soaps and lotions were fine. However, on this trip, there was something new in the room - Thann Amber Woods lotion. Innocently, I used it - I wanted to escape from my own body for hours afterwards, even after trying to wash it off. Please, please stop providing it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank nyc/atlanta

Dear nyc/Atlanta,
Thank you for the feedback with this housekeeping issue that you have recently received. I assure you that this housekeeping issue is not consistent with what you should expect when visiting a Marriott Courtyard Hotel. I hope that you do return to our hotel and see the positive change that has happened as a result of your feedback.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I am partial to Courtyards, as I know exactly what I am getting whenever I stay at one. The room will be clean, comfortable and contain all the essentials that make travel easy, such as lots of electrical outlets, including two at the nightstand so I can charge my phone and keep it handy. There is always a mini fridge, a coffee maker and individual coffee bean packets. This property is no exception. There is also a well equipped gym and lap pool, and easily accessible computers with a printer in the lobby.
The rooms are smaller than an average Courtyard, but this is NYC, so no complaints there. I also don't care if there is a bistro in the lobby, as some other reviewers have commented on. Again, this is NYC. There are probably a dozen Starbucks in a two block radius, along with more breakfast, lunch, dinner places, bars and delis than anyone can count.
I go to NYC a lot, since its my home town and I have lots of family there. I do have issue with the pricing of this hotel, as well as most other Marriott properties in the city. While I expect it to cost more to stay in the city, there are other similar hotels, just as reliable, that are often much more reasonable. It depends on the day and the deal you can get. Finally, if you are visiting NYC for the first time, understand that this hotel is not located in the "heart" of the action, at least until the 2nd Ave Subway is finished. If you want to stay in midtown, Times Square or off Central Park, and can afford it, stay there. If however, you want the quiet of a basically residential neighborhood, where parking a car is difficult, but not impossible, this is a great choice. By NYC standards it is walking distance to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. There is also a great jogging track along the East River and lots of nice little parks. While is isn't the luxury of a Ritz Carlton, it is perfectly safe, clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: The higher up the better.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank RubyAZ12
Robert R, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Upper East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Hi RubyAZ12,
Thank you for staying with us. I am happy that you have enjoyed our property. We are looking forward to your next visit with us here at the Courtyard by Marriott Upper East Side.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I chose this hotel because it was the closest chain near my conference. It was clean, very good staff. I didn't use any amenities other than wi-fi. Room and hotel was quiet, housekeeping was top notch. Very expensive for this level of hotel, even in New York City.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Robert R, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Upper East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Michael P ,
Thanks you for your kind words, which I will be sharing with the entire team. I am glad that you took advantage of the complimentary wi-fi. I hope to host you again soon